Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pages:
Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh my goodness

Janet the Poulanc- wonderful  I would love to hear you play-  are you leaning towards the French style or the German?  Or do they do that anymore-  I have been out of it a longlong long time.  I should make a reed and try again. 

It was the only group activity I liked, was any good at and cooperated with.

Diane did not play well in the sand box, but she was great in an Orchestra. 

My honey thinks that is why my hearing is zshot- Because in high School and college I was in every single ensemble I could get in.

Don't laugh- or if yu do not in writing.  In Hawaii the union called and asked me to fill in cuz they absolutely could not find anyone else.  so I did

The guest artist-I use the term lightly-

Isaac Hayes

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I loved woodwind quintets, but always felt the clarinet was superfluous....and still do in some cases....oboe snob

I did love it.  a great deal.

But I had to learn a profession fast to support myself
and son

and oboe without the orchestra is like M&Ms without chocolat....so it faded by the wayside and I used the piano for solace.....yu can be a single piano and no one will feel like they are missing half of the music. :P

My father actually went to Paris, toured the factory, and sat down with whoever was in charge and had wine while they decided what to include and worked out the price.

Ahhhhh......It was surprise graduation present....so when I went off to college the wood was still that wonderful chestnut color....hmmmm

I am so glad you play and so glad you love it....maybe it will inspire me....to get back on it.

You never really loose anything.  Yeah the emboucher is way weak now, but the musicality etc can be brought back fairly quickly. Its all still in the head.

Eileen

your  expression speaks volumes- the love is beautiful and you are absolutely lovely- 

where is the big hair ape like creature we were led to believe we would see?  Hmmmmmm???

And you daughter is beautiful- how wonderful-

times like that make you glad to be alive.

Love Dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks, Dilu :D

It was an absolutely blissful day!! Perfect small wedding, everybody happy and getting along, perfect food, 2 exhausted but happy mothers-in-law and the sweetest bride and groom ever!

Ape? Moi? Well, some days, maybe . . .

I love the oboe. It sends chills down the spine. Too bad there isn't such a thing as a jazz oboe  . . . or is there?

I hacked around on the piano and guitar for a while, but never amounted to much, though I still enjoy them. My dad's brothers were professional musicians with the Buffalo Symphony, one on violin and one on bass and cello.

My middle daughter (the bride) was great on the base, but my eldest didn't get far on the violin (singer, you know). I could always spot her at school concerts because her bow was going in the opposite direction of the others!! Takes after her mom!!

Eileen

Eileen

You sillywonkus yu, you are a truly lovely lady!

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh goodness, Eileen,  you are beautiful and your daughter is gorgeous!!  What wonderful photos . . . thanks so much for sharing!! 

I'm so impressed with the oboe players here . . . you gals rock!!  So to speak.  I also looove the sound of the oboe and I think jazz can be played with any instrument.  Have you ever heard jazz violin??  Kind of strange, but haunting.

Yes, before bears, I played piano according to my moods . . . it's great therapy, too, but I don't play well enough to get as much good out of it as I want . . . I want to play like Diana Krall!!  In my next life, I will come back as a dynamite jazz singer/pianist . . . what I've wanted to be for a looooooooong time!   

I really can "tune in" to this topic  - - - music is the universal language, as they say!!  bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh  Nobody is going to chastise and tease me for liking Barry Manilow???!!!  He's worse than Neil Diamond, but I've always liked him . . . even if he has almost zero dynamics in his singing.  Sigh.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Eileen, you're a total fox.  Love the dress; and your daughter and son-in-law are gorgeous in their happy beaming.  I love weddings.  Must be why I've had two of my own... !!! :P

On other notes...  Diana Krall is amazing.  I had the opportunity to hear her at the "New Orleans by the Bay" festival they used to have at Shoreline Park in Mtn. View, CA every year; she's so soulful and talented.  A true musician.  My parents still live in Mtn. View, so they get tickets for free (or did, until they stopped doing the festival.)  One year I saw Bonnie Raitt there, and another, Aaron Neville.  Talk about a voice (whew!)

Diana Krall is all the more amazing because she ended up married to the very odd and avant-garde rocker Elvis Costello.  I love his music but it's VERY unlike hers.

Last.... I'm afraid I can't get too behind Barry Manilow (although I still remember the lyrics to, "Looks Like We Made It" from my childhood,) but I grew up on Neil Diamond and can count Shilo, Sweet Caroline, Chelsea Morning, and that song that mentions cherries a lot (Cherry, Cherry?) as some of my favorite all time tunes.  Go Neil Diamond! bear_happy

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Eileen thanks for posting the photo of your daughters wedding - always really neat to look at weddings.
And to music....
I have to skite about a concert we went to in New Plymouth - it was Mark Knopfler (formally Dire Straits)
We were staying at the same hotel and I was lucky enough to shake his hand and we had a pre dinner
drink with Guy Fletcher who was sitting next to us - so that was very exciting and such a brilliant concert!
I play the piano and keyboards and I would like to be in your band. It might be a little hard to get to
band practise though.

Enjoy your week everyone
Bear hugs
Carolyn:)

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Awwwwright!!  Another member of the concert team!!  THis is sooooo exciting!!  Can't wait for you girls to get together and produce some lovely music!!!  bear_grin

Shelli, I don't think I answered your question about whether I've seen RENT.  No, I haven't, but I have read a synopsis and it does sound really worth seeing.  It's been in Dallas, but I had a conflict at the time and didn't go.  Am sure it will be back, though.  I did know that Diana K. had married Elvis Costello and thought "how odd" at the time.  I think he might have produced her last cd which I'm not as crazy about as her earlier ones.  Well, I know Barry Manilow isn't very popular with anyone except maybe a few old ladies, but he put out a super duper album in 1984 that has remained one of my favorites.  It's called 2:00 AM Paradise Cafe and is incredible because it was recorded in the studio in only one take.  He composed all the music and every song just melts into the next one with no breaks . . . all he does is segue into each song with his piano work.  He sings duets with the late, great Mel Torme and the amazing Sarah Vaughan.  My very favorite piece on there is "When October Goes" . . . so melancholy and he does sing it with such longing.  Ooooops, I'm rambling.  Bye now.

Ahhhh the good ol'days

Sue Ann-

absolutely you can have jazz obe, and not just dixieland-ever hear the blues on obe or english horn.....talk about soulful

When I was in boarding school- such a cliche for my age group- It was Chateau Beau Cedre in Montreaux , la belle Suisse.  And next to us by about one chateau was the hotel  WERE they held the Montreaux Jazz Festival.....

I had drinks with Arethra Franklin....(at 16?)  oh but in the disco ball lights who could tell.....I was the only English speaking person she had met so I became her bosom (yikes it was huge) buddy for the night. :cool:

Never told my mom :D

I think moms are privy to way too much as it is

I had a blast....her voice was fab and there were sooooo many Jazz greats there-

wow- hadn't thought about that in a coon's age.  :P

See what I mean about it all still being there in your mind-forever......

Sue Ann honey!

Did not Mr. Manilow write the songs that made the whole world sing.....how dare any of us snicker! :mad:

To be honest re: Niel

for the most part, he wrote his own lyrics and his own music....and he sold of some to others to perform.

But I liked that he had solid classical training, and could put a word or two together.

And before the cigs ruined his voice I loved his sound.....still do but can't help feeling regretfull about the smoking

My absolute 2 favorites, and no one knows them anymore:

Songs of Love.....from the Jazz singer.

Be from J.L.S.

And yes, I do still listen

Funny story

I worked nights on the adolescent ward in a psych hospital
I was also the head nurse for night shift of the whole fascillity so no one was going to be checking up on me.

I worked with a fabulous guy who was a Psych Aide, kind of an aide a guard and a councellor.....he also loved Niel and he was sooooo Gay that even he laughed about it.  We had so much fun when we got the rug rats setteled down On went the Diamond cds and we would sing and dance our little hearts out, between bed checks and telelphone calls.  He told me that in this day and age only a gay guy would love Niel Diamond.  I told him that I would prefer to believe tht the whole world still loves him .  He was ok with that.  So we lived in my fantasy world at night

In the morning I would put on the Beatles- really loud ( you know how hard it is to get kids up) ;)

Good Morning! 

They would come staggering out bleary eyed and confused. :lol::lol::lol:

That was fun too!

OK I still have 5 golly's to joint-have done 6.......ugh.....better get cracking :rolleyes:

cRACKEDUPDILYDO

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Sue-Ann and everyone !
Sorry I just jump-in here bear_original
I had fun with reading everyone's post of favorite Music.

Eileen, thank you for sharing beautiful wedding
picture !!!! so wich one is you !? sorry if I miss
anything at your post....hmmmmm

Music♪
I love any kind of music but it's so hard to pick only few song & artist :(
But If I have to pick only 1 song...it will be the
"Rain Drops Keep Falling On my Head " bear_laugh
I love this song since I was 3. he he

My favorite vocalist are......
Joseph Williams(TOTO's 3rd main vocalist)
Jonny Lung(Blues)
Rob Thomas(Matchbox Twenty)
Badly Drawn Boy
Alex(Guns N' Roses )
Jon Bon Jovi
Eminem(His slow songs are great .... )

My favorite Queen of Music is...
Mariah Carey !!! bear_laugh 

I can play very very little of the Piano and Violin but not
sure if I can play now.. he he bear_original

Rock'n Roll & soft music hug/Marie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Diane . . . you have some of the best stories anywhere!!!!  Bar none!!! 

Janet, I'm so sorry about your husband . . . he must have been very young.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Eileen, you are one gorgeous looking lady!! *wolf whistle*

What lovely photos, it must have been a wonderful day!!  No mistaking that your daughter is well.. your daughter LOL  YOu look alike and are both so beautiful!

Thanks for sharing,
Danni

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks for all your compliments, girls:D

Marie, I'm the one in the purple. I had such a hard time getting the photos up, after it occurred to me that I could scan them, that the descriptions of the pix are actually several posts before the pix. bear_ermm I think I panicked there.

I love all this music! Of the artists I've actually heard of, I haven't seen one name that I don't like. Neil's "Sweet Caroline" played over and over at my Caroline's wedding, of course. Celine sounds even better after her break and her baby, though sometimes you'd think she thinks she invented motherhood! Ah, but the voice . . . Diana Krall hardly seems to be trying, she's so good. The only times I've tried singing and playing together are best not mentioned. Our little parakeet (rescued from the park where some creep abandoned her) died last week, but she loved jazz--Ella, Louis, Diana, MJQ--she used to chirp her little heart out to the radio.

And Shelli!! :DTurandot! I adore it. Bawling all the way through the last act . . . which reminds me a bit of the Phantom of the Opera, which I also love. I have Pons's solo on an opera anthology tape, along with a lot of the old greats. My mom was named Melba for Nellie Melba (from Melbourne).

I also love the Backstreet Boys, and I'm glad they're back!

Close encounters . . . I went to a Beach Boys concert in college. They performed in a tent way out in a field somewhere. Halfway through the concert, the top of the tent collapsed with the weight of the last night's rain, and soaked the audience. I also remember that there were no toilets!

I saw Nat King Cole at a nightclub shortly before he died---smooth as silk.

I also saw Frank Sinatra at the Newport Jazz Festival. That one was a bit disappointing. He was 'three sheets to the wind' as they say in Newport, and trying to sing 'Call Me Irresponsible'. He kept getting the words mixed up. "Call me . . . .uh".

Chuck Berry performed at most of the college beer blasts I went to in the Boston area. He was always in the crowd signing the girls' shirts or bottoms--never mine. And there were lots of toilets at those events . . . :lol:

Eileen

So Eileen

Is the Lily Pons solo every thing I said it was?

I think that really good music-the transcend the ages music- touches something deep in us, perhaps our soul, and helps replenish us.

I can remember playing in concerts (oboe) when everything clicked, you know what I mean Janet? and everybody was on and it blended so beautifully and even while playing tears would be coursing their way down my face.  ( we didn't have waterproof mascara or if we did I didn't )
It was such a total experience-that I felt like my soul, my innermost being, I felt like every cell was participating and had been touched.

Good thing I wore black....mascara drops on white satin-not a pretty site :D

gollygoodlistening to one and all

Dilu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I don’t listen to music while I make my bears…. I watch movies! – or at least listen to them! And look after my mischievous pups!  Max likes to steal bear parts from me… and I can always tell when he is doing it too!!! He is always next to me or chewing on his nylabone… but sometimes he wonders off and is really quiet and that is when I know he is up to no good!  He stole my latest teddy’s head last week!  Luckily I caught him right away!!!:D

JanetandBears Janet Ann Anderson and Bears
Breckenridge, CO
Website

Your words, Dilu, about good music are prefectly expressed and are my feelings too.
The description of your experiences in concerts is also right on.  Yes, I know what you mean.  I sit there (in the middle which is great with playing oboe) and everyone is playing their best and all is coming together and I think this must be Heaven.  But, speaking of tears I had a concert where after the A  I wiped my oboe and the swab got stuck!!!   No way would it budge and I sat there in tears the entire concert with the conductor looking at me in horror when I did not play when he cued me.  I now have one of those swabs that has a string a both ends.  That is my worst oboe story. 
    I had a guy in England do a special arrangement of Faure's Pavanne recently for oboe and harp which I love.  I practiced it last night and was in Heaven  almost  (needs some work yet)

Well, I need to come back to earth and get going on getting ready for TBAI in a week.  I will be gone the 2 - 10th staying with my sister near Philly and driving up and back to Binghamton, NY for the show.  Last year the theme at TBAI was broadway musicals and I did Maria from Sound of Music teaching the kids DO RE MI  for my gallery piece.   Love that musical plus many others.  I have the opportunity to play in Fiddler on the Roof  twice playing both oboe and english horn . 

Janet

Janet I would die and go to heaven metaphorically to be able to hear the Pavanne arrangement that you just spoke of. 

Oh......I can sort hear it in my head.....what a wonderful idea to have it for oboe and harp....what a blessing it will be to everyone who hears it!

Dilu

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Eileen, thank you for letting me know.
You are beautiful lady and so gorgeous in the purple dress!!!  :D
I love the way Shelli said *FOX* .  yes I think you are *FOX* beauty !
Thank you for sharing wonderful pictures.
Hugs/Marie

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hey Sue Ann, I'm a little late to your thread but I've just read through and had to make a confession to you.  Although I haven't played any BM for quite some time, I have seen him live in the UK four times!!  What a terrific showman he is.  My favourite gig was at Blenheim Palace many years ago - it rocked!  Everyone did the candle thing too and cheesy as it may be, it was also very moving. :cool:

Now to reclaim a little credibility!

I LOVE music!  Can't resist.  I love seeing live acts ... favourites of all time have been Eurythmics, Prince (WOW!!!!!!!!!!) and Robert Cray.  Do you know of Jools Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra out there?  He's a legend here in the UK and I've had the pleasure of seeing his show several times.  Robert Cray is a MUST SEE!!!

If I'm listening to music, which I do every day, I love all kinds of things.  At the moment I'm enjoying Joss Stone and Jack Johnson especially, but I play heaps of blues, a bit of 70's disco, some Northern Soul (Sam & Dave 'Hold on I'm coming' ... that gets me dancing!) some Joan Armatrading, Scissor Sisters ... oh, just a stack of stuff from the past few decades depending on my mood! :D:cool::D:P

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Whew!  Glad someone else digs Barry!  Thanks for commenting! bear_ermm bear_tongue bear_happy 
I'm aware of some of your faves, but not all.  Whatever music tastes we have . . . more power to us!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh man, am I late responding to this thread bear_grin

Actually I have not been listening to music much lately.  Don't know why....

But for some reason I thought of this thread and turned it on.  And hey, I was better at STAYing with my bear making!! bear_laugh  (course I'm not bearmaking right this minute bear_grin )

I also like all types of music... well, except rap,.... and I don't care for opera (but my DAUGHTER does!!??)

My studio is also the office... where the computer is.  I have Yahoo messenger that I use just to tell me when I have mail.  I also use the Music Launchcast feature to listen to music.  They have lots of types to choose from... I often use the "Classic Rock"

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I'm late on this thread too. I love almost all kinds of music; classic rock, jazz, classical, some country, easy listening...even some rap. I blast rock/rap music while doing housework and play the quieter music while sewing. I haven't played an instrument since high school tho (cello)  and can't sing worth a darn.

Marion

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

hmmmm, I myself can listen to about anything. Right now I have Josh Groban playing on the computer. He has the most gorgeous voice I have ever heard :D
Growing up my mother had Elvis on constantly! She said it helped her get into her house cleaning. :P
Country- Joe Nichols, oh ya baby!
Commodores, John Cougar Mellencamp. When I really need a lift I plug in Led Zeppelin!
My daughter who is a cellist, copied her "YoYo Ma" who is also a cellist on my computer, which I listen to also.
I have a short story about Yoyo Ma,
My daughter and I was at a local record store searching for YoYo Ma cd. The young gentleman that worked there approached us asking what we were looking for. My daughter replied "YoYo Ma". He looked at her as if she was insulting him or something! She said to him, "No I'm not kidding" His name is YoYo Ma!

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

It would be terrible to live in a world without music! I listen to music all day, in the house I have a soft rock station playing and in the car I have a country station on. Then when the kids are home, they have the rock music videos on. My favorite movies are also all musicals with "Chicago" coming in first but I still watch "My Fair Lady" at least once a year.

A friend of mine has a funny story. A few years ago she had gone home to England and on the way back she sat behind a bunch of "really super blokes" who played in a band. She said that they were such a nice bunch of young men and they all had such a great visit on the way home. When her son asked what the name of the band was, She said that she really hadn't asked them but they must have been "The Inks" because the back of their jackets all said "INXS". Her boys couldn't believe it!!:lol:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

The Inks!!!  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Laura  thanks for bringing this thread back up- it was really neat to reread everyone's posts. 

Janet, I would still love to hear yu play-  getting your swab stuck!  Yikes.

I used feathers-do oboists not use feathers anymore?

Hugs to all

dilu

Pages:

Board footer