Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi Girls,

I have a bit of a problem, it's non-beary but i would appreciate your opinions Girls,

I have a wonderful neighbour. He always helps out, cuts our grass when he cuts his, watches the house if we are away and is an all-round top guy (his family are lovely too).

Soooooooo, what's the problem? Well..............................

He shoots and works dogs as a hobby, he fishes a lot too so you get the idea of what he likes to do for fun.

We have had a pidgeon problem around here and the local council has been running a culling programme (shooting them with air rifles can you believe!) and this morning i was out in the garden watering the flowers in pots before it gets too hot and i could hear the sound of an air rifle being shot so assumed that the council were shooting the pidgeons again (they have a police order to only shoot early in the morning) but when i looked up i could see my neighbour hanging out the top window of his house with his gun shooting at the Swifts that nest in the eaves of our house (they come every year from North Africa and we love them nesting here).

It's weird Girls, but over the past few weeks i have wondered why there were so few birds coming into the garden. Usually we get lots of different song birds coming to feed on the plants/insects here and for the past month they have sort of disappeared. We had Robins nesting but they disappeared leaving a nest with 5 eggs unhatched and we had Blue Tits nesting - they left their nest without hatching their eggs too.

I think i know why now!

SO....................what should i do about my neighbour shooting at the song birds in my garden? I don't want to fall out with him as he's so nice (but i'm kind of wondering about him now) and his wife has been quite ill recently so i don't want to upset her at all.

It's also illegal to shoot these birds (at least i'm pretty sure it is) but i don't want to go down the route of reporting him to the police.

Help me out girls, i truly don't know what to do about this.

Thanks for listening  bear_thumb  bear_flower

Penny  :hug:

nettie scotland
Website

I don't think I would have to give this much thought.I would go tell him I have seen him shoot birds and much as I like him and his wife I cannot stand by and watch this.He must stop it or I will be forced to take it further with the authories.I don't think nice guy and shoots songbirds an really be in the same package but then I am a veggie and animal lover.Even though he is an animal I would be tempted to shoot him!!!
Maybe I just worked out why I am single hu!!!???
Diane xxx

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

This is tricky, as I've seen on a bad neighbour site I belong to, how these things can esculate. You could come from the noise angle, saying you have'nt been well and the noise makes you jittery. The thing is he does'nt see anything wrong in this, even though most people would. If hes really nice he would stop it to make you feel better. I would say have a word if you know he won't over react and go on the defensive and perhaps dredge up other issues. You could say you know they are only wild birds but when you have'nt been well they have been like little friends. Play the ditsey image up  bear_wacko  bear_tongue  bear_grin .

Some of the poor people on the forum I belong to really have the most evil neighbours, who who think nothing of taking potshots at them and their pets!

Thats why I would tread carefully as with his wife being ill you don't know what could tip people over the edge. We don't want you making the evening news!

Did you read or see that man that bulldozed a couples home and cars and she was at home at the time. A right Looney Tune.

I think your neighbour is probably going to be OK but I can see why you want a few view points!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

My cleaning lady had an identical problem Penny...a neighbour was using a sling-shot to kill birds. She rang the police...and I believe it's a matter for the RSPB...but at any rate he was paid a visit and he's stopped it...and he's none the wiser about who reported him. Or like Dianne says...just tell him..easier said than done though.

It's one thing culling pigeons humanely...even then I don't know how I really feel...(we have pigeons in our garden...) but killing other birds has to be an offence...how does he know he's not wounding these poor creatures and inflicting some terrible painful death...

On second thoughts Penny can't you shoot him!!!!?

I don't think I would have to give this much thought.I would go tell him I have seen him shoot birds and much as I like him and his wife I cannot stand by and watch this.He must stop it or I will be forced to take it further with the authories.I don't think nice guy and shoots songbirds an really be in the same package but then I am a veggie and animal lover.Even though he is an animal I would be tempted to shoot him!!!
Maybe I just worked out why I am single hu!!!???
Diane xxx

Diane, i am in the same camp as you - i'm pretty upset and my knee-jerk reaction is to go round there and shove his gun where the sun don't shine.................but i can't think with my knees over this, i've gotta get my brain into gear and come up with a solution that won't alienate him (i gotta live next to him) but at the same time put a stop to it ASAP.

well I think I would be going slightly mad at the thought my neighbour was hanging out the bedroom window shooting birds and it does not sound much like sport to me. I probably would have already confronted him and probably not in a very nice way. Penny I do understand your situation and I think you should say somethng to this guy and if he does not stop confront him again telling him you will report him. Again if he does not stop simply report him.

Melly.................good solid advice from you my friend  :hug:  I've just got to get a plan drawn up in my head cos i want to cover all points in case any confrontation goes tit's up (gettit? tit's? birds?)

Thats why I would tread carefully as with his wife being ill you don't know what could tip people over the edge. We don't want you making the evening news!

Did you read or see that man that bulldozed a couples home and cars and she was at home at the time. A right Looney Tune.

I think your neighbour is probably going to be OK but I can see why you want a few view points!

Oh Yes Amanda my dear. There are some VERY strange mentally weird people around and i don't want to become a statistic on the 6 o'clock news. I mean i KNOW this man but i could'nt say that i REALLY knew him.........his wife has been in hospital with a mental illness and i think he has had trouble dealing with this.

HELP!  :pray:

1. Playing on loud speaker birdie songs like:  SONGBIRD from Fleetwood Mac is beautiful...Rock'n Robin etc...perhaps he may get the hint????

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

You old hippy Lisa  bear_flower  But i do take on board your more sensible comments, such as...............

3. If all else fails..just shoot him, the songbirds will soon return!!!

I may resort to this if it carries on Lisa!

My cleaning lady had an identical problem Penny...a neighbour was using a sling-shot to kill birds. She rang the police...and I believe it's a matter for the RSPB...but at any rate he was paid a visit and he's stopped it...and he's none the wiser about who reported him. Or like Dianne says...just tell him..easier said than done though.

It's one thing culling pigeons humanely...even then I don't know how I really feel...(we have pigeons in our garden...) but killing other birds has to be an offence...how does he know he's not wounding these poor creatures and inflicting some terrible painful death...

On second thoughts Penny can't you shoot him!!!!?

I know Jenny, i wonder how many birds he's hit but not killed outright? I did find a bird skeleton in one of my large flower pots a few weeks ago so i think this has been going on longer than just a few days or something.

I do love the thought of shooting him but i'd just end up in the nick  bear_cry

Okey Dokey.............thanks for all the advice girls, keep it coming as i want to get this thing sorted once and for all - i don't want it cropping up again.

I have decided to stake-out the garden today and see if it happens again. If he does'nt shoot during the day i will get out there (hiding) EARLY tomorrow morning and see what occurs. I have to know that it was'nt just a one off thing for certain before i go stringing him up by his gonads or anything similar - verbally of course, although i am TEMPTED!

I'll keep you all informed my friends - keep your fingers crossed  bear_thumb

Penny  bear_wub

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Contact the police Penny!  Surely this isn't legal?  It sounds flippin' dangerous in a residential area.  He won't need to know it's you who has made a complaint ... the police are pretty good about being discreet when it comes to neighbour troubles. 

Failing that, how about contacting your local council to find out where they stand on this issue?

If you make a formal complaint you'll need to try and remember when you've seen him shooting ... times, dates etc.

I wouldn't hang around - accidents happen and just imagine how awful you'll feel if you hear that a bullet has gone astray and hurt a kiddie.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I would be afraid, as Paula said, of him mis-firing and shooting a person or a pet! I would definitely call the cops!  Like someone said, it is illegal to shoot in the city limits and illegal to shoot songbirds...

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Hi,
I think you should contact the police.   

Someone who hangs out his window and shoots song birds within city limits,  AND points a loaded weapon at another residence  CLEARLY has lost his grip on safety and reality.

I do not think it wise to just go over and tell him to stop....keep in mind he is armed and seems to have lost touch.   I wouldn't want to confront him if he's 'having a bad day.'   Let the police handle it,  and ask to remain annonymous when you call.  Then you can assess the risks of speaking with him after the police have done so.

If he's a great neighbour, maybe he just needs some help.  Don't put yourself in harms way.

hugs,
nancy t

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Hi Penny

If you don't feel comfortable about calling the police then you could try Crimestoppers to report it/get advice. A rifle noise is so loud that anyone in your neighbourhood could have reported him, it doesn't necessarily mean it was you.

I'm sure the police will take it seriously and act on it immediately.

Hope you feel better about this soon and for goodness sake don't go hanging out of your windows until this stops bear_tongue

:hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

PenPen

Today the birds tomorrow the babies?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Pen,
Listen to Nancy.... PLEASE!!! For your saftey and that of others.... human, feathered and furry!
Report him annonymously.... let the police handle it. Even just doing it ONCE is a crime. Waiting for the next round of fire could result in casualties you quite possibly could have prevented if you didn't wait.
Nancy as most know, is a police officer and also very level headed and practical.
I can see where confronting him face to face, neighbor to neighbor could seem the best way but you aren't necessarily on the same page mentally or emotionally with him. Your confrontation likely won't achieve the effect you are looking for.
Call the authorities!!!!
Pweeeze?

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Hi Penny,

My husbands a very, keen birdwatcher, and also a member of the RSPB,  he thinks the best thing to do is

give them a call, you can do this anonomously, and they will deal with it , without you becoming involved.

(the local number is-01767 680551). It's illegal to disturb nesting birds, and is also illegal to kill any bird

that is not considered to be a pest species...........apart from anything else....he could damage your

house.......or indeed you!!.......take care of yourself and your family....ring now!

Hugs,

Yvonne

Hi everyone,

I can't belive i'm having such a crap day..................

My mother-in-law has been rushed in to hospital and is very poorly, we don't know what's wrong with her yet but i've popped in to let you all know that i'm not ignoring you but am at the hospital with my other half.

Fingers crossed please girls.

Penny  bear_sad  bear_cry

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Penny,
    I'm sending warm thoughts and hugs - hope they can quickly sort out what's wrong with your mum-in-law.  Keep us posted.
     As for your neighbour, I'd definitely report him, at least to the RSPB - you must be able to do it and request that you remain anonymous.  In Canada we have "by-law" officers just for this type of reason, and they keep all complaints confidential.  If you don't get anywhere with them, call the police - it might make him a litte more law abiding if he knows people will actually report him, and he will never suspect his "lovely neighbour" LOL!  I think if you approach him yourself, it will get his back up, and the situation could escalate.  You need to do something immediately that will stop his wicked behaviour and I wouldn't muck about with his bozo.   If nothing stops him, remember my hubby's advice - if you fire icecubes at him with a sling shot, they are  hard, they hurt and they will melt and leave no evidence LOL!

hugs,

Penny

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Lisa,
     Hubby's not kidding - every spring we have a load of un-neutered cats around, spraying everywhere and howling.  I don't know how anyone can have an un-neutered male cat as a pet!  Hubby used to shoot leftover nuts from Xmas at them with his sling shot, but now we have walnut trees everywhere LOL!  He started using ice cubes - they sting, but don't really cause injury, it scares off the cats and unlike walnuts, they don't grow in the garden LOL!
                                                     hugs,

Brenda

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I hope Terry's mum is going to be OK. Keeping everything crossed for you all. :hug:

Stellajella Wien

Hi Penny, I´m quite familier with that problem; I used to have a neighbour shooting around when being jealous when I had visitors. He thought he needed to protect me  :doh:
Unfortunately, the support the police gave me was next to none. He always received his riffle back, so I think, contacting the police is a rather slow solution.
And your neighbour obviousely has a different kind of problem.
Even though, Diane, I 120% agree with you, it is sort of hard to go out and shoot a bird killer. There are some legal opponents to that. And I´m not really sure if Pen could take her PC with her to jail  bear_cry
So what I´d do: I´d talk to him, calmly and kindly, not starting with the bird problem, but telling him, that you nearly had had a heart attack when you heard the shooting and that you are friggin afraid now, now that you know who is shooting around!
He could harm humans as well!
I know Penny, that you´ll find the right words for that.
I would not make the bird killing the main issue; he´d not understand it anyway- these plonkers have no understanding for life and no values
Guess why his wife fell ill in the first place? Maybe she´s on your side.

I´m sure, you can tell fom his reaction, what will happen in the future, and you still have the option Yvonne suggested, and of course, there´s still the police.

Keeping my fingers crossed for your mother-in-law. :hug:

Gaby bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Penny, so sorry about your mom-in-law and I hope she will be treated successfully.  Also sorry about the plight of the birds - - - that guy is loony!  Don't think I can add any better advice than has already been given, but hope that it all gets worked out.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

sarahjane Brisbane

Hi Penny

First I hope your mother in law is ok and nothing too serious is wrong with her.

It's a tough one about your neighbour and I can completely understand why you don't want to alienate him, especially since you usually get along so well. 

Maybe you could invite him over for a cup of coffee (with your husband there) and ask him nicely if he has a problem with the songbirds in your eaves (maybe they bother his wife if she has been unwell) and explain that you're worried about the safety of the situation etc. Then see if you can nut out a solution together.

Who knows ...perhaps he just had a particularly stressful day, no sleep (its amazing what no sleep can do) and just cracked a little under the pressure, just knowing that you saw what he was doing and aren't happy with it may be enough.  I'm sure he doesn't want to alienate you either.

A few years ago our neighbour had a cockatoo outside on his patio that used to squawk at 5 in the morning and it was right outside our bedroom....anyway after months of this we finally got up the courage to speak with the neighbour and he moved the bird..no more noise ...no more problem!!!  I only wish we'd said something earlier!  bear_grin

I hope you can get the situation with your neighbour resolved with no unpleasantness.  bear_original

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh Gee, sorry to hear about your MIL - I hope she's okay, my thoughts are with you!

Goodluck with whatever you decide to do about the birds - that's a hard choice, but i think I would tell someone - he doesn't need to know it was you!!

Danni

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Aww, Pen - sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. I hope everything turns out ok.... :hug:

As for your neighbour....ring the police. I would have no qualms. Apart from the obvious cruelty aspect it's just downright dangerous, not to mention illegal. Here's a link with similar scenarios that might help you decide: http://www.gmp.police.uk/mainsite/pages … nswers.htm

:hug:

Another useful site: http://www.defra.gov.uk/paw/crime/default.htm

If you witness what you believe to be a wildlife crime being committed, report it to the police straightaway, either by ringing 999 or your local station. Do not leave it until it is too late.
~~~
Crimes against wild birds can be reported on line to the RSPB at www.rspb.org.uk/policy/wildbirdslaw/report.asp
If you would prefer to speak to somebody please call the RSPB on 01767 680 551 (England and Wales) or 0131 311 6500 (Scotland). Lines are manned 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday. Messages can be left outside these hours.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Tell him to stop. Or you could go to the police and say that someone or ones are shooting at the songbirds and wild life. You dont have to give specifics. Just word it enough so that the police may pop by and ask around and that sort of thing . This may have him stop. I gather though that his behavour is stress related.  I think he is need of help.
You see Penny I have a problem with the fact you still think he is nice. I would give him a piece of my mind. and then invite him in for a cuppa. Just to keep relations smooth.(you dont make enemies with a man and his gun) But I would hate his guts for evermore.
Wendy

Board footer