Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Hi. I know we are a large group of animal lovers and I have an animal dilemma. My husband helps out at a farm nearby and they usually have tons of kittens. He just called me to come and look at a particular kitten because I was not allowed to get another cat all along as I have a beautiful white cat about three years old. Well he says I can have this kitten because it looks purebred.  He says this is my only chance at another cat so I can take it or leave it  bear_cry  It was obviously dumped there as it has chocolate point markings and blue eyes and there are no other kittens even remotely similar.
This kitten must be at least half siamese. It is cream colored with chocolate ears, tail and paws. The poor little thing is in need of a great deal of care as it has goopy eyes, is under nourished and has fleas.

I have heard bad things about siamese cats, is this true??? Will it get along with my own cat?? Are they nasty and mean??

I would take it directly to the vet before bringing it (I think it might be a boy) into my house with the cat I have and my Lhasa Apso/Terrier mix dog. He and my own cat just tolerate each other because he has always assumed cats are play toys and he chases her.
Any info and help would be great. Thanks,hugs!!!!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I have a friend with a siamese and that cat is just about the coolest cat I've ever met.  He's very vocal, almost talky and that from what I've been told is common with the breed. He's actually more like a dog with his outgoing and social personality. I think since (after you get him checked out for illness and stuff) you'll be introducing him to your established "pack" that he should be fine.  Most times it's the only child cat that has issues with the newcomer and any breed can be viewed as mean when a new guy comes in.  It took 4 weeks for my one older boy cat to get over himself when we got our last cat, he did and they're all fine now.
Keep us posted, I hope he has a healthy check up!
~Chrissi
ebay, ctcatherwoods
coming summer2006...www.CatherWoods.com

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thanks for the answers.  bear_wub   bear_wub
I'm going to bring him/her home but I want to get her vet checked because of her eyes and the barn thing. I will be home all the time this summer until school starts in September so that should help.
We just say simialr kittens for at least $500 at the pet store so the hubbie thought that since it's so tiny ,no more than 6 weeks probably ,that if things didn't work out we could always sell her(him) for a bit of much needed money  bear_cry   bear_cry  but I can't see the cat leaving once I get her in my arms  :hug:   :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I've had a friend with Siamese cats and I love them.  One was friendlier that the other, but both were nice temperments.  I hope it's a male, Shari, as I think male cats are the nicest, no matter what breed.  The goopy eyes are probably a little bit of conjunctivitis - kittens are suseptible to it, and once one kitten has it, they all get it.  Sounds like the wee man needs a flea bath, too.   I'm afraid I'm like Renae,  After a trip to the vet, the kitten would already be home, shaking paws with his new roommates LOL!  Can't wait to see pictures!

hugs,

Brenda

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Shari,
I WAS BOUGHT UP WITH A LILAC POINT SIAMESE CAT CALLED FROSTY :hug:
HE WAS THE MOST SOPPY ADORABLE CAT EVER... bear_original
I would go for it ....

THOUGHT ID ADD AND EXAMPLE  bear_original
When my brother was a baby he would suck his thumb and tickle his nose with the end of Frosty's tail :crackup:

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

We have a blue point Siamese girl and two Balinese brothers(siamesexangora).The Balinese are just like a longer coated Siamese.I also have a Birman but even though I love them all you just cannot match the temperament of the oriental cats as they are so loyal and loving.Once you have one of these type cats you find that you cannot find any other type cats that are as lovely as these and would always buy this breed.The only thing is the Siamese can be a bit more stroppy than the boys and will soon put them in their place. The Balineses are now two and they have endless energy and often race around the house together.You will have to post a picture for us to see as I love cats and would love to see him.They can be one person cat as well so they might get attached to your husband bear_thumb then he might let you get a load more kitties :crackup:
Laurie :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Honestly, I've never had a bad cat experience in my life, with the exception of one guy who kept peeing on our laundry and our beds... but that wasn't a temperament issue.  More a male, marking issue. 

I have four cats now and I've had at least that many over the course of my 40 years and every one of them is different and I swear, I love (or loved) them all equally!  Even our ginger tabby with (c)attitude makes for great entertainment. 

I say go for it with gusto... and, of course, on behalf of Dilu -- POST SOME PICTURES!!!

Have fun!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh honey....go for it....you'll score points with the universe, and have a new fur baby to love.

And Siamese?  They are extremely intelligent, clever, intuitive, and have good cat smarts too.

My hubby says stuff like that all the time......but when our last burmese boy died....broke my heart-he had a congenital kidney defect- My hubby was the first to say- "I think we need a new baby".....

Well actually he didn't say "baby."  He said "Cat"t but I knew what he meant! n035.gif

I just wait-he always comes around on the important stuff..... a040.gif

now about the goopy eyes.....as long as the little one didn't come from a queen with distemper it can probably be fixed up with some eye goop antibiotics..... g010.gif

k040.gif

I mean what home can't be improved with a kitten? g035.gif

Dilu Posts: 8,574
Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Yes,yes ,yes  bear_grin   bear_grin  :photo:   :photo:  I am calling the vet to get the wee little critter in and checked outfirst thing Monday morning. I was doing some research and the kitten might even be Tonkinese, I'm sure the vet will know. There are a few kittens at the barn and some older cats and they have goopy eyes but I pretty sure it's a barn cat thing. The farmers wife doesn't this new one had it when he/she appeared there. It took a few days but the little one gets along with all the others, even the farm dog.
Thank-you so much for all the positive info  :hug:  :hug:  I'll keep you posted and get pictures on as soon as I can.  :hug:   :hug:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I've heard good things about Siamese cats lol.  Good on you for taking him in Shari  :clap:
Now I am singing the Lady and The Tramp song "we are siamese if you please" lol  Now they were nasty things!!
xo Sarah

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

HPIM0582.JPGHere's Frankie.  She was found in the ditch last fall, almost dead from some kind of head trauma (we believe it was an abuse case).  She is absolutely wonderful.  I love this cat.  She is not nasty or mean.  My mother-in-law had a siamese for 14 years.  He went camping with them every summer.  He was a guard cat.  My husband went to his mom's house and forgot his key.  He was going to go in through the kitchen window, but the cat wouldn't let him in.  When my son was a baby, this cat was like a nurse maid with him.  I think you won't regret taking this kitten.

krystolla Fuzzbutt Bears
Columbus Ohio

I petsat a siamese once, the owners told me "he's really mean, bites everyone, just put food down for him and leave." The meezer was an angel, not big on being petted (probably because of the grabby little girl in the house) but he loved to play. The secret is that cats give you back what you give them -- regardless of breed.

The purebred meezers I've met are very active and very mouthy (the vocal measures of a siamese are distinctive). Meezer crosses tend to be more laid back but just as mouthy, from what I've heard.

-- Erika
Fuzzbutt Bears

PS. If you don't end up keeping him, contact www.siameserescue.org.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

I have spent the past twenty years in the company of the siamese...and oriental shorthairs....They are the love of my life!! My chocolate point "Twinkie" past away four years ago and I still think about him everyday! bear_cry  Go get that kitten!
JeannieB bear_original

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Well , I just spent the last two hours up at the farm with the kitten on my lap and cuddling and sleeping. It was all I could do to leave the kitten behind when it was time to go but I want to be fair to my own cat and dog and the kitten has goopy eyes and is sneezing green boogers. Other than that, the kitten is lovable and active and seems fine. The bum is a bit dirty and I couldn't tell whether it was a slit or a hole so I'm still unsure. Doesn't matter either way except for the naming.
I'll be ringing vets up first thing in the morning and picking up the kitten to take in if I don't already have it here by then. It's killing me to leave it there. I'm trying to br srtong and think of my own pets,I don't want to make them sick  bear_sad 
Pictures tommorrow,I hope.

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

I do hope you take this little chap in.  I had a chocolate point Siamese cat with gorgeous  blue eyes, for 21 years and he was the best cat in the whole wide world, loving, affectionate, loved being a lap cat and always slept by my side  and NEVER aggresive at all.  He was definitely a talker and we had great conversations  bear_grin   

I do hope he is ok when the vet checks him out and that he settles in well with your cat,
Hugs
Catherine
x

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

We presently have 2 siamese mix cats at the farm and they are marvellous. I know their parents weren't pure-blood but Puff and Elbie look like tabby grey-points. Very good natured cats but vocal, and they love my Dad's large shepard mix dog - actually wrestle with him.
Good luck with your new friend.
Marion

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Siamese are truly NEAT!!!  We had one when I was 13 and upwards.  Actually he died not too long ago at the ripe ole age of 19. 

Siamese are vocal...I don't mean in a little way either!  Bandit had a 'talk' that was beyond the voice range of a normal cat, but it was sooooo cool to have a cat that wanted to have 'conversations'. 

As for the guarding bit, one late night when I was 15, mum and I were up watching tv late.  It was a hot summer night and the windows were open.  Suddenly both of us got the creeps, like someone was watching.  Bandit appeared stalking through the livingroom, tail lashing, ridge up and the lowest, most menacing growl I've ever heard from him....He stalked from the livingroom to the front door and into the library and then he was back in the livingroom sitting and staring at the various windows.  His tail still lashed but the 'danger' had gone I think.  Mom and I weren't too keen on the whole situation, but trust me, had someone come through the windows or door ~ they wouldn't have made it back out!  Bandit's claws were something to be seriously feared, and he was in 'guard mode'  bear_wub   Better than a dog  bear_wub

Awwwwhhhh...the poor little kitty, don't worry between you and the vet, you'll have the little one cleaned up, warm and feeling better in no time!   bear_happy   I know its heartwrenching, but only a few more hours....and yes, your dog and other kitty will thank you for taking it to the vet first...

:photo: Pics when you can!!!  :photo:

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Hey girls, got the kitty home, see other post for pictures  bear_flower

Board footer