Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

zemeski Posts: 434

bear_sad

My husband and daughter left today at 12:00 p.m. to go to the airport in Atlanta, GA to fly to Alaska until August 9, 2006. My husband has business to do their for his company. His company of course paid for him to go, but my husband is using our flyer miles for my daughter. We have saved them through his flying trips and mine. I couldn't go because it would have cost us a fortune for me to go. Also, I would have had to pay someone to take care of three animals. I told my husband to take my daughter since I've gone to Hawaii and Cancan Mexico with him.

When they left I had my BIG cry. I wish I could have gone with them and I'll miss them. I know that this is good for my daughter and husband because he is gone sooooo much during the Fall and Winter working. I just wish that we could have gone as a family.

I would never tell my husband this, but I'll miss my daughter a little more than him. When he is gone all the time she is always with me doing stuff. She even sleeps with me when he is gone. Shes my little buddy!!!

I know you gals no how I feel right now so, I thought I would cry on your shoulders a little. I'm sure tomorrow I'll feel better.

bear_sad

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What a fantastic opportunity for your hubby and daughter, Melissa!  Just use the time alone to make bears, bears, bears!!!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Big warm hugs Melissa. My husband and three kids left on Friday morning to go visit relatives and I stayed behind to paint the kitchen and look after our new kitten, our other cat and dog and my husbands parents cat  bear_shocked   I've been so busy all weekend but I do really miss them and yes , I miss my 11 year old daughter the most, she's my baby. bear_wub 
They should be back anytime soon now and I still have two walls to go, then cleaning, detaping etc. I'm on a short coffee/give some love to the kitten break. bear_laugh 
Don't worry, the time will pass so fast, they'll be back in your arms in no time  bear_wub   bear_wub   :hug:

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Oh, Melissa, I can't imagine having my daughter leave me for so long and to be so far away.  :hug: What a wonderful experience for her though.

Try to keep yourself busy and maybe that will help a little. :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Melissa... I know how you feel.  I'm divorced from the father of my sons and he lives at quite a distance from us (about four hours away.)  I have them almost the entire school year -- they see him alternate weekend and for some of their vacation time at Christmas and Easter... but as a result, to "even out" the percentages a little and let the boys know their father, too, their dad gets them most of the summer.

I pick my boys up tonight after they've spent pretty much the last month and a half with their dad.  I did get them for a week's vacation -- we spent every moment of it not at home! -- but other than that it's been a long haul.

At first, when they go, it always leaves me feeling a little lost.  Where has my identity gone?  Who am I, if not "mom?"

But after a few days of mourning and feeling disjointed and out of place in the world, I find it's really fun to eat what I want without worrying I'm modelling bad habits... shop for hours without feeling the pressure to hurry back home... and rent movies that contain entirely inappropriate plotlines! 

Yeah, that gets old after a while... but in the meantime, it's a great opportunity to just settle into being yourself.  Take a long bath... read a book.  Watch really crappy TV.  Eat more dessert, more often, simply because nobody is watching! 

I hope you find a way to make the most of your alone time because before you know it they'll be back and you'll be thinking, "I wish I woulda..."  Believe me!

Have fun.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Oh Melissa I know just how you feel.  We only have one child, a 10 year old daughter Brittany.  My husband works so much that Britty and I do everything together, we are really best buddies.  Last year she went away on school camp for the first time ever, and it was for three days.  I couldn't believe how "lost" I felt.  I know that they have to do these things to become independent young adults, but I couldn't believe how "alone" I felt, even with my dear husband.  I love him so much, but your child is your child - you girls know what I mean.

This year, in a few months, she is off on a camp for five days, and so expect to see me here on TT crying on your shoulders.  Thank goodness for my bears when I have time to kill.  Normally, I am chasing my tail all day.

Your daughter will have the best time away with her Dad, and just think of what a terrific homecoming you will all have.  Take the time to recharge your batteries whilst they are away.

zemeski Posts: 434

Thanks ladies for the understanding and support!! I'm feeling good today!! I have the whole house to myself and I'm free at last!! Ha! Ha!

Shelli wrote - Yeah, that gets old after a while... but in the meantime, it's a great opportunity to just settle into being yourself.  Take a long bath... read a book.  Watch really crappy TV.  Eat more dessert, more often, simply because nobody is watching! 

I took you up on that long hot bath and eating desserts. I went last night and got me some Crispy Creme Donuts. My husband is going to wonder way I have to go buy new pants when he gets home from Alaska. Those Crispy Cremes are sinful and my weakness!!! If any of you have ever had them you know exactly what I'm saying!!

All is well here and I hope everyone is having a marvelous
day!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I know just how you feel too, Melissa, AND Shelli.  My daughter is withe her dad for the summer in Michigan.  She spends 11 weeks of the summer with him.  She will miss our trip to San Diego in ten days bear_sad   I even felt sad leaving my other children these past four days to go to an art conference in MN. 

It's strnge being away from your children.

Melissa...LOTS of Crispy Cremes and keep busy with your bears.  Now  could be a very good time to really concentrate ininteruppted and work, design, create, and maybe even think outside of the box. :hug:

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Melissa don't cry ~ bear_cry
it's 8more days only...  :hug:
Your daughter may learn how her mother is great and
how her mother been so wonderful to her....  bear_flower

hugs
Marie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

zemeski wrote:

Those Crispy Cremes are sinful and my weakness!!! If any of you have ever had them you know exactly what I'm saying!!

Oh yes indeedy . . . I know exactly what you're saying!  The glazed chocolate cake ones are my favorites, but there are several others that come in a close second.  Ummmmmm . . . now I want one - or two - or three.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself Melissa with nice long baths and yummy treats.
Enjoy your time and life will be very special on their return.
I hope that you get a lot of Bears made.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer