Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Hi All..
I was wondering if Kirsten is still out there?
I was hoping she would tell us all the goss on the Jennifer Laing workshop she was doing a few weeks back.
Kirsten..are you doing okay??

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I saw her logged on this morning... you can't hide, Kirsten!... but maybe she's just doing a quick catch-up.  The school year is about to start and like all teachers at this time of year, she must be overwhelmed prepping lesson plans for the 2005-6 academic year and having (boring) meetings.  But I hear ya, and miss her too.  Come back and say hi, Kirsten!

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Hey All! :D
I'm not hiding or intentionally avoiding you all. School is sneaking up on me. Also my brother and sister-in-law just had their first baby. Been a little busy....

Hmmm...about the Jennifer Laing class...... I didn't go. :/
I had morning sickness so bad I tried to get there, but through LA traffic it was a 2 hour drive and I had to turn around after an hour in the car. :rolleyes:
I was sick and couldn't imagine driving 4 hours a day in rush hour traffic, sew for 8 hours, 2 days in a row. I wasn't up to the challenge. Fortunately they did refund my money minus the deposit. I feel bad from missing it, but what can I do.

The sickness is also why I haven't posted.
I am considering quitting bear-making....:o I find it hard to focus and not very profitable. I might just cut back. We are moving right before the baby comes and I don't see me being a rich and famous bear artist with a huge baby belly or a baby... I don't know. I'm still thinking it through.. bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Aw, don't QUIT.  But yes... life changes force re-evaluating priorities.  And a baby AND a move are two biggies at once.

You don't have to be a "rich and famous bear artist" to enjoy the hobby.  And just think how, with the addition of some safety eyes, you could make darling, custom critters for your own wee one!

I, for one, would miss you terribly if you bailed on this, even on a hobby level.  There's nothing wrong with doing it purely out of love for the craft.

Think harder... ;):D

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Awww Kirsten, don't quit!  Just slow it down a bit if ya need to... but don't quit!

So sorry about the morning sickness - yuck bear_ermm

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

I don't really want to quit, I just feel the drive to create as much right now. I use to want to do shows and be super creative with each bear, but now I'm satisfied making one every few months.  ;)
I might just down size my supplies so its not so overwhelming and keep the bears up as a fun hobby, not a money driven business....
I'm hoping its just the morning sickness pooping me out. bear_laugh

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm sorry, too, Kirsten, that you're feeling bad . . . BUT, the morning sickness will pass and, hopefully, so will your assessment about bearmaking!!  I really don't know anybody who has gotten rich from making bears . . . the art is labor intensive and you really don't get paid for all the hours you put into it.  To stick with something like that, you need to get an emotional or psychological boost from doing it . . . well, that's just my opinion, but it certainly has kept me continuing to make bears over an eight year period.  Of course, only you know how it affects you and whether it's worth it to contiune.  You do make wonderful little bears, though!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kirsten,
I completely understand your situation. There is certainly a time and a place for everything. Keep it as a hobby. It should never feel like you HAVE to do it. Your family certainly comes first. Once you've settled into your new home, mommyhood and teaching if you plan to go back you'll find a routine that's comfortable. Then maybe you'll feel like persuing bear making once more.

Do be sure to do three things for us though:

1. Make some special bears for that baby before life gets to hectic with moving and it's arrival!
2. Let us know if you need us to take some of your supplies off your hands!!:D
3. Post pictures of your baby for us when it comes!!! You know how we are about such things!!! All the Aunties will want to see!

We would miss you terribly if you left but love you just the same!!!:)
Hugs,
Daphne

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooh everyone has said how I feel.  We will miss you terribly.  Don't make any drastic decisions right now... you are probably not feeling the best, and pretty hormonal.

Do what's best for you in the end.  We'll all be here when you need us!!

Danni

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Well Kirsten..I can understand your disappointment at missing out on the JL class...but it sounds like you did the sensible thing. There will be other classes.
Sorry to hear you are having a battle with the morning sickness...some people certainly seem to get it worse than others. If it's any consolation to you, most women feel totally flat and get the total 'can't be bothereds" in the first tri-mester...and the sensible thing to do is to allow yourself to follow your feelings. Why not allow yourself to pack your bear stuff away for awhile..totally guilt free.
Just because you choose to have a break, doesn't mean you are giving up...and at least by choosing to have a break, if in future you just don't get back to it, that won't be as hard. Also, during the second tri-mester, many women find a total resurgence of energy and enthusiasm and feel totally fabulous...and it may be that during this time, you  feel like dragging the bear stuff out to make one for your child. During the last tri-mester, is when you  generally start to feel tired again, and during that first 3 or four months after your baby arrives, you really won't have time for sewing much (unless you have one of those babies that sleep all day and all night...which I never did!!) It's very hard to juggle being a mummy and trying to create...especially when they are little.
Besides...even if you have a break...you can still get your teddy fix here...and you are so welcome to stay and just join in when you feel like it. We would all love to be able to continue to offer support to you in the coming months, so do pop in from time to time and say Hi okay?
Dpah's right...we can all be cyber aunties!!!
Hugs to you and take care!;)

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Kirsten,

I feel like a stuck record here,  but just want to say I hope that the morning sickness passes and
that you will soon be feeling much better.
Take a much needed break and put up your feet and get into some reading and take it easy.
The Bears will  wait, until you feel like making them again.
Hope all goes well for you and baby.

Bear hugs
Carolyn
:)

www.draffinbear.com

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Kirsten, I know how you feel, but take your break and enjoy your baby. Hoping that everything goes well for you.

Your Bears will be there for you when your ready, don't give up, you'll will need something to do for yourself when you need some time out, keep you sane.;)    I don't want this to sound selfish but some of the others will know what I mean when I say time out.  Keep something for yourself that you enjoy when you need it.

Good Luck & Take Care. bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Kirsten, Kirsten :D

I hate advice, never take it, rarely give it. But for your consideration, two insights I've learned over 6 decades:

1. Decisions you make while puking don't count.
2. There is life after motherhood, sometimes during motherhood, sort of.

Hang in there, darlin'

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kirsten,
I certainly feel for you.  When I was pregnant with my third child, now 2 1/2 years old, all I wanted to do was lay from side to side and get lost in a good book.  Pregnancy sure does change things. 

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now.  The good thing is no one can ever take away your talent.  The most important thing right now is you, your health, and the health of your baby.

Take care and big bear huggies!
Judi

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Eileen wrote:

1. Decisions you make while puking don't count.

HA!!!  :D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::P:P:P

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

. . . such as 'I'm never touching another drop' and 'I'm never having another baby' :rolleyes:

Eileen

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Ha ha, you're all so funny bear_tongue I think I have lost my focus and drive due to the pregnancy, but won't give it up completely. I still love making bears, but can't get myself to work on any sometimes...

I may want to downsize some supplies and will offer them to you all at what I paid before I try ebay or stores. It will probably be fur coats and such that I'll downsize.

Thanks all for your input and support. bear_laugh

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

You just keep those baby bears coming! You are a wonderful artist. We all grow and learn with each bear. We all can improve and prosper. look inside. You don't want to give this up. It is a gift!

Hugs Louise

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Kirsten,

You're right--pregnancy can do strange things to you, especially at first. Think of all those rioting hormones!!

I found myself totally uninterested in literature for a few months, which wasn't good because I had several months of teaching it ahead of me before end of term . . . But all this passes, you get your drive and your energy back just in time to take on your baby! Another story there, but if the little nipper sleeps at all, you'll be back to yourself in no time! :D

Eileen

Board footer