Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I saw Shelli's post and decided I HAD to have one!  Now I can't wait to use it...it's so cool :)
Have 3 bears to finish (already did their heads) then I can try out my new template (oh boy oh boy oh boy!) 

Thanks Shelli for mentioning it... and thanks Hayley for the FAST shipping!
http://www.bearcupboard.com

Well, I'll be talking to ya later... I've got to turn my computer OFF (as I seem to have no self-dicipline) so I can get some work done :lol:

I STILL need to get Donna's stuffing too..... bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yeah, that template is way cool.  I've only made one bear since receiving it and that was my real fur bear with the had-to-be-clay-nose-because-I-was-too-chicken-to-embroider-one.  But her template is getting put to use on my next bear, for certain.  Thanks goodness for Hayley. bear_original

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Yes guys. Thank goodness for Haley. I placed an order with her today for the same template and many other items. I love to support our girls if possible.

Hugs Louise

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Hi girls..you are all the best! Thanks so much for supporting my new venture, so far it's going really well. I love the template too and I seem to be finding new uses for it all the time too. Just this week, I have used it to cut eye surrounds and also to cut the shapes for those white bits like my avatar bear has behind his eyes.
Could  I just mention here on the forum too, seeing as though most of you are Overseas from me...if you  aren't in Australia and would like to order from The Bear Cupboard, you need to cut and paste your order into an email so I can estimate postage.  The Paypal Shopping Cart only adds  enough postage for people within Austalia.
Anyway...back to my bear...have to get him in the post by Monday for a competition and he still needs ears!

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hayley, are these templates useable?  Ooopss I mean't to say reuseable!!    :rolleyes:

Sorry I have missed some earlier discussions about them.  They sound interesting, I don't think I have seen these ones before.

Australia

Karen,
They are a set of  9 nose shapes to trace around, each in five different sizes. You use them to trace the nose template before glueing it to the bear for stitching over. It's also good for helping decide what size and shape nose will best suit your bear as you can hold the templates over the nose to 'try them on' for size. I love mine and use them for way more than just tracing noses!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I have been wanting to order one too Hayley, I have been using a set from Gerrys.  My only question is are the smallest templates small??  I mean, for small noses on...small bears?? I can't really tell on the webpage!

Thanks!
Danni

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks Hayley, I will place an order soon, need some other supplies too, there you go a good excuse to spend some more    hehehehe   bear_laugh

Australia

Danni,
The smallest template of each style is pretty small yes.  The smallest template in two of the nose shapes would be fine for a six inch bear but the others may be a tad big....then again, you do big noses!!  The smallest shape in the set measures half a centimeter from one side to the other and roughly half that again in depth.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks, Hayley!

Just what I wanted to know too. I've just ordered one! :D

Eileen

Nicholasville, KY
Website

I just finished my first bear using Hayley's nose templates!!!

3b.jpg

Thanks again Hayley!  I LOVE them!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Laura, your nose is perfect!!  bear_laugh I can't wait to get my template . . . did you cut a nose-backing from the template, or did you just trace the shape onto the bear?
And what a dear little bear--I love the necklace.

Hayley, what's the best way to use the template?

Eileen

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Laura- I know the yarn you used to make that bear's scarf! I made a shawl for a friend with it, same color,too, and I had some left. I didn't think about making bear accessories! Duh! I just love the way this board makes ideas flow.
       Suzanne

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Laura
Your bear is beautiful - perfect nose.   I love the colorful scarf - very unique.

Sandi

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh what an adorable nose! I love grizzly noses!!

Also love the scarf, did you knit it yourself?

Danni

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Thanks everyone!  I can't take credit for the scarf... my mother in law made it for me bear_laugh  She makes little ones for me with the little bits of yarn that are left over from her big scarves.  A friend of mine DID show me how to "finger knit" though!  Hopefully I can remember how :rolleyes:

Eileen... I traced the nose out on the backing of self stick felt!  I just used the adhesive on the back on the felt to stick to his nose.  But next time I'm adding some of my own craft glue.

I also used Shelli's technique of hardening the nose with a 50/50 mixture of glue and water.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Laura, that nose is really, really cute.  You should do more of those!  I love the character it adds.  Really a cute little guy!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks, Laura! bear_laugh That helps.

It's a scarf? I thought I was looking at wire and gems!! bear_grin Time to get my eyes checked, I guess. Does anyone know the name of the yarn? Mfgr?

Eileen

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

What a cutie!  Ditto - Great Nose.  I think I need on of those templates as well.

Thanks for the pic.

Jane

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hayley, sorry I placed an order today but forgat to ask you about the shipping fee.......!!!!! bear_sad for give me !
I will send you e-mail later ~ bear_rolleyes

Laura lynn, your bare is so adorable with the NOSE ! bear_laugh Beautiful nose !

Hugs/Marie

Nicholasville, KY
Website

THanks again!!  Shelli, I'll be taking your advice and using this nose more often for a bit of variety... And Eileen... don't feel bad... it's a real unusual looking yarn.. it looks kinda like what you just described bear_original

Australia

WoW Laura...what a fantastic nose! I agree with Shelli...you should do more with that shape!
It's very easy to stick with our 'safe' noses when we know we can do them so well...but it's nice to have the confidence to try something new. I do think that's one of the many things I like so much about the template...you can 'try on' different sizes and styles so you know what will suit each individual bear.
Eileen..I don't think there is any right or wrong way to use the template. It's like most things, you need to try a few different methods and decide what works best for you.
I know Shelli uses it to trace her nose shape straight on the bear and that works well for her.

For me..I use two layers of template...first a layer of felt (a heavy thick one) and then a slightlly larger leather template (suede side up to help grab the stitches). I glue the smaller template to the larger one, then glue the whole thing onto the bear and use a tiny amount of craft glue to smooth the edges of the larger template down the edges of the smaller one to form the sides. Wait for it to dry and you end up with a rock hard template that gives a great base to embroider over. Using this method with give a raised up nose..so if you don't want it so big, just use the leather template instead.
I was taught this method by a friend who lives in Melboune and she does the BEST noses I've ever seen.

Marie..don't worry about the postage...the template qualifys as a large letter so the postage already added should cover it okay.

Board footer