Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

macy1029 Posts: 24

Hi Everyone
I have been lurking for a while and enjoying all of the posts.  You all are so talented--everyone posts such beautiful bears.  :clap: I live in the Florida Keys with my blue & gold parrot (Noelle) and my african grey parrot (Macy).  I have a grown daughter and a beautiful grandson.

My interest is in mini bears.  I have never made a bear or anything else for that matter.  I purchased a pattern kit from Sassys and I would like to know what brand and type of scissors I need to use in the creation of my bear.  I imagine that the scissors would be important so that the fabric could be cut cleanly.

I hope that I can get half as good as all of you are.  TIA.

Dana

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Hello Dana, and a very big welcome to TT, it is lovely that you are going to start bears - and you will never stop!!  For me, I love to use the Fiskars scissors which have a lovely pointy tip to them and are not like traditional scissor, more like gardening sacatuers, as you grip them in your palm and squeeze to cut.  They take a bit of getting used to, but your hands don't hurt at all after lots of cutting.  When cutting your bears as well, make sure to slowly take small snips so that you cut only the backing and not the fur, or you might be left with some bald spots.  I also have some smaller embroidery scissors for really tight little spots.  I got my Fiskars here in Australia at a stationery suppy shop called Officeworks, but if they don't have that where you are, I would think any big craft store would have them.  Do you other girls have any suggestions regarding scissors?

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

You can get the Fiskar scissors at Walmart - they are about $14 Cdn. They have two sizes but you want the smaller size (about the length of your hand). I actually have about 4 pairs - can't do without them.

Marion

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Yes I use Fiskars also . They cost around $16.00 here and I get mine at a place called JoAnn's Fabrics. You will love them . But like said before, snip only the backing when cutting out. Just lift up a little when you are cutting. You will get the hang of it !! Make sure we get to see the finished product.Here is a picture of my newest 5 inch bear.

BandWClown005.jpg

Have fun , thats what it is all about, take your time let it be a relaxing thing. Just keep telling your self .... I CAN do this !!! And you will.

Jodi Falk

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Oh I for got to tell you ..... When you are cutting out only snip very tiny snips with the very tip of the scissors. Don't use them like you are cutting out paper. Understand ? Feel free to ask questions of any of us .

Jodi Falk

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi Dana,

I don't stick to any particular brand of scissors, but try to find one with good, sharp detail tips.  As for now, I have just bought a pair of 'Cutter Bee' scissors and LOVE them.  They cut like a dream and you can even use them to scissor sculpt those wee faces. 

Welcome to Teddy Talk and bear making!!  You'll find there's a wealth of knowledge here on TT, and everyone is SO helpful and nice! 

Yay, another bear maker!!  bear_smile

Kimberly W.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yep the little Fiscars, not the big ones....they are great....snipsnipsnipsnip........

Jodi...

what a cutie you have there!

gollyhugs

dilu

HI All
Thank-you so much for your replies.  I will purchase the scissors this weekend based on your advice.  OK this is a really dumb question but several of you have said to cut only the backing and not the fur--how will the fur get separated if I dont also cut the fur?????

I get a real kick out of seeing so many from other countries--I love to learn about other places and other people.

Again your bears are so beautiful!!!!
Dana

noelle2.jpg

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Renae, yes that was the perfect reply.  Once you cut the backing the fur will just gently separate itself.  The fur is not actually woven together, it is only woven onto the backing.  The time that I find it needs a little help is when you use a very matted mohair, but again, you still just cut the backing, sliding the scissors in under the fur as you cut, and when the backing is cut, just gently tease the mohair apart.  If you cut the fur in a dead straight line with the backing, like cutting a piece of paper, you will not get that gentle blending of fur between seam lines etc.

Please don't worry about asking what you think are silly questions.  I have been making bears for two years, and I still have "silly" questions.  Ask away.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Your bird is BEAUTIFUL !!!!

Don't worry about the fur part , after you gently snip very small pieces on only the backing and you are done with that one piece it will separate when you gently pull. Longer fur  is a little more work but very easy still. Are you using mohair ? Acrilic ? Mohair is easier as the backing is thinner. But more expensive.

Jodi Falk

Hi Again

Thank-you so much for clarifying the cutting of the backing and not the fur.  Great explanations!!!  If you had not mentioned this step I would have surely just cut thru it like paper.  bear_grin

And yes Ranae you can copy my pictures--no problem.  I don't know what I'd do without my feathered friends so I love taking pictures of them.  I have included another one of Noelle.  I will send one of Macy later.  Thank you all.
Dana
littlenoelle.jpg

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi there & welcome to Teddy Talk!  you know... the whole cutting the backing thing never REALLY clicked in my brain until I started using longer piled mini fabrics!  With many of the fairly short mini fabrics like a standard vintage rayon or a short piled upholstery fabric, it really doesn't matter so much because if you DO cut the fur as you are going... the area where you have "messed up" by trimming the fur ends up in the tiny seam allowance anyway....  When you go to a longer pile fabric it does make a huge difference though because if you do accidentally trim the fur as well as the backing, you end up with shorter fur near the seams (like little bald batches!!!!  bear_angry )!  For me at least, the whole thing didn't make much sense until I actually started cutting! 

I use tiny little Gingher embroidery scissors.  I've found that any small, sharp, pointy scissors will work for minis... even super cheapy ones.... they just don't LAST as long!  Feel free to e Mail me or PM me if you need any assistance! 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Thanks so much Kim.  You know you are the one that gave me this website addy to join.  I had found some of your bears on the net and I really loved them and wrote you an email telling you that--and you were nice enough to respond and tell me about  this website.  bear_grin   The fabric that I received from Sassy's kit is a short pile so I guess I will be safe.  Thanks for your help.
Dana
macygirl.JPG

Oh BTW, I love mini crochet bears too so I just finished some lessons so that I would have some knowledge of basic stitches.  Never crochted or knitted before.  I purchased a basic bear from tedsthreads that I will try my hand at in a bit.  First I am going to create the bear that I purchased from Sassy's (they really have quick shipping).
Dana
pinkRose.jpg

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
macy1029 wrote:

You know you are the one that gave me this website addy to join.  I had found some of your bears on the net and I really loved them...--and you were nice enough to respond and tell me about  this website.  bear_grin   .
Dana

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!   I'm so glad that you have joined!!!  I'm telling you... this is the BEST place to come for questions and advice!

You shouldn't have to be in a panic then if it's a very short pile!  I'd go ahead and get in the habit though, of taking very small little snips with the very points of the scissors so that you'll be an old pro when you decide to dive into a longer pile fabric.  If you point the tips upward as you go and just take itty bitty snips.... you are kind of parting the fur along the cutting line as you cut. 

Oh..... do let us know how it goes!   :hug:  bear_wub

Kim Basta
Widl Thyme Originals

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Dana
A late welcome to TT. What beautiful birds you have! You are a very good photographer. I wish I could take good pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Bear hugs.
Gladys

Dana,

Is that your blue and gold macaw?
What's his or her name?

Ours is named Kirah-and boy are they a handful-but we love her.  Yours looks like she is in her late 20's?  Beautiful and VERY SMART birds....

birdypecks to you!

dilu

PS  boy did she get excited when she saw the piccy-she has all these birdy friends in the mirrors but then all of a sudden one on the computer?

I'm betting you know exactly what I am talking about....love

your African gray

too-talkative?

double birdy pecks and gollyhugs

dilu

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

..my gosh, what beautiful photos!!  Gorgeous birds!  --and, I'm really glad you asked the question about the backing and etc.---I've only ever made bearys with short pile fur, so I was sitting here wondering the same exact question!!

Can't WAIT to see what you make, Dana, and welcome to Teddy-Talk!  =)

Amelia

Hi Everyone

I am out of town right now visiting my daughter--left just in time for Ernesto--hope he misses us.  Anyway thanks to all who replied to my email.  I guess my question even helped Amelia (glad I wasn't the only one).  Thanks for the advice on cutting Kim--I will remember it when I am putting my first bear together.  And yes Dilu, that is my macaw and she is a handful at times but I love her so it's OK.  bear_wub  Her name is Noelle and she is 10 years old and I have had her since she was 4 weeks old.  She talks too.  The funniest thing is when she tries to sing opera--she warbles like my grandmother used to--and bobs her head up and down--it's a riot.  Gladys mentioned that I took good pictures but I think that what makes my pictures "good" is that I love my subjects. bear_original  My African Grey talks too but she prefers mimicking noises/sounds  like the ringing phone and answering it with a Hello, back up of a garbage truck, barking like a dog, knocking on the door, sneezing, squawking like a sea gull, water dripping from the faucet, meowing like a cat, beeping of the microwave, dialing a phone, laughing my laugh, and hundreds of other sounds.  In the mornings they both demand "breakfast, breakfast" if I am too slow. 

Well it's late--hopefully I can go home on Thursday if Ernesto doesn't do much damage.

Dana

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I don't visit the mini forum much but was interested in the scissor question and then to see such beautiful birds and meet a new TTer!! Awesome!!! I've had love birds, parakeets and cockateils but what I really want is a Timneh. However, at this point I don't think my dogs would be too keen on the idea!

Scissors: As a beauty school drop out with about 10 pairs of hair shears I use those a lot for cutting the fur backing as they are pointy but not so much so that they snag the backing, and they are VERY sharp. I also like having the finger rest as it's less fatiguing when I have a lot to cut. When I'm teaching workshops I recommend the Fiskars but not the springy ones as those take a bit of getting used to but are great too! When I'm doing any scissor sculpting I find embroidery type scissors are best as they have small thin blades, are also pointy and sharp and provide precise detail. Ginghers are great!!!

Glad you've stopped lurking and joined in, Dana!
Safe travels!

Daphne

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Dana a warm welcome to TT I am sure you will get alot of help here.. your birds are lovely... I have three cocketiels.. I have had two of them from two weeks old and the other my grandson gave me his to look after... didn't say for how long though

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_flower A Belated Welcome to Teddy Talk, Dana!

Your birds are gorgeous! If I didn't have so many cats . . .

I once birdsat a cockateil named Tiffany. If she felt ignored or lonely, she made ringing telephone noises to get her Mom's attention.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi Dana!
I'm late to this post, but I love your Parrot...what a beauty!!  I think Kim and I use the same scissors.  I love my gingher embroidery scissors.  I can get very detailed with these little sharp tipped scissors, even removing stitches easily with a snip if need be.
I started out making mini's too! I'm making larger bears now as well, but my scissors are the same...love 'em.  Welcome aboard, can't wait to see your bears!

:hug:
~Chrissi

Board footer