Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

"I noticed a significant improvement in my art when I  ____________ ."

I came across this question on another art forum and thought it might spark an interesting discussion here. I would be very interested to see how all of you would finish that sentence.

Sooo...  Did you ever have a bear-making epiphany? Did you ever have an insight or change in attitude that really made a difference in your art? Was there a certain technique or method you learned that was a revelation to you and helped you make a leap in your bear-making skills? Or just your artist skills in gerneral?

Personally I can't speak specifically about an improvement in bear-making, (haven't been doing it long enough) but when it comes to my art in general I find that I am much happier with the results when I STOP trying to control EVERY little detail and MAKE it conform PERFECTLY to my original idea. (yup, i admit it, control freak here. bear_wacko )
I have come to realize that excellence does not require perfection and often a mistake can actually turn out better than the original plan.  This has been a challenge for me and one I still struggle with at times but it truly is one thing that I feel has made a huge difference in the quality of my work.

So i guess my sentence would go something like this:
I notice a significant improvement in my art when I relax and let it flow.

How would your sentence go?

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Bonnie wrote:

stopped looking at other peoples art and trying to copy or compare.

I can't wait to hear the responses. What a great question!

Great answer, Heather. Especially the part about comparing. There is so much talent on this board alone that it can make one feel completely inadequate! Once I get past feeling inadequate though, I feel totally inspired. bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

What a good question!!!

I think that things started to improve for me when I realised that I am better off following my nose and stopped trying to work within constraints of ' the correct way' to make a bear. I started lifting techniques, tools and supplies from ...dollmaking...taxidermy...embroidery...sculpture..hairdressing..
scrap-booking..and any other area that could help me solve my problem..and the results became more satisfying.
But getting my head round simple things like embroidering the nose, needle sculpting  and understanding the basics of pattern design has given me more confidence.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

When i stopped making bears and started making gollies.  Its a better fit.

Kind of like i wont be doing ballet for art but I can do piano.... bear_grin

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

.......Just to let myself be me!  Everyone has their own talent you just have to let it out, and it will shine back like a mirror!

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Gave myself time to learn.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

.....when I trusted myself to dive in head first and let my heart be my guide....and when I trusted myself to use my airbrushing skills.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

stopped using commercial patterns and started designing my own.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I noticed a significant improvement in my art when I

When I had the courage to start designing my own patterns and selling at shows.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Let go of the fear of making mistakes.  When I got the confidence to just experiment and try new techniques, even if they didn't work the first time.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

.... I stopped worrying about whether or not others would like my work and just did what made me happy!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Bonnie, I'm a lot like you in that I'm a perfectionist.  I would be so darn critical of my work.
Nothing we can do will ever be "perfect".  My mom once told me that the amish quilters intentionally create a block or stitching that is imperfect, because only God can create something that is perfect.

"I noticed a significant improvement in my art when I  ____________ ." accepted that my talents were my own and always at my standards, without the need to be "perfect".  (I'm still about the details...he he he bear_rolleyes )

:hug:
~Chrissi

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

when I turn off the TV.  :crackup: nope just kidding. I work best there.
when I __________." don't allow guidelines or limitations to mislead my creativity.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

"I noticed a significant improvement in my art when I

Quit making limited editions and started doing mostly one of a kinds and entering themed contests and challenges that spurred me to try things I might not have otherwise. Doing one of a kinds meant I could just do whatever seemed to work on that particular bear (kind of go with the flow so to speak!) and not worry about whether I was going to be able to duplicate it.

Thanks everyone for you answers! It is so interesting to read them all. I also find it telling that so many of the answers involve following your heart and your art rather than trying to conform to some rigid outside expectations or guidlines. I think there is a great lesson in that.

Chrissi wrote:

My mom once told me that the amish quilters intentionally create a block or stitching that is imperfect, because only God can create something that is perfect.

I think that is very cool. Myself, I don't have to try to make built-in imperfections, it just happens naturally! lol

Renae wrote:

Worked with another artist.... I had a college degree, but she taught me more than any class ever did, about art, but more about life.

You were fortunate Renae! Learning from other artists can be priceless. Which is just another reason I value TT and all of you so much.

Wonderful answers everyone. Please keep them coming! :clap:  bear_flower

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I noticed a significant improvement in my art whenever I felt truly happy.

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

...when I stopped trying to make lots of bears for a fair, but focussed on making a few good ones.  Quality not quantity!!
Also when I started making what I wanted to make, rather than what I thought people wanted to see.

Great question!!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Gosh, what wonderful, thoughtful answers! I don't know if I've ever had an epiphany or great turning point with my bear art. I can't recall any specific moment.
But I know my bears have improved over the years ( not all at once) when I have made certain discoveries, many of which are described above by all of you, but the most important for me is doing what makes me happy.
Perhaps the biggest turning point was probably when I designed my first bear with a painted open mouth. It doesn't seem like that would be a big deal now, but in 1996 there were almost no open mouthed bears around. Now lots of folks do really nice open mouthed bears.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

When I let go and let GOD !!!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Praticed practiced practiced lol...and make sure I'm enjoying and having fun.

sarahjane Brisbane

When I decided that I don't care if anyone buys them or not I'm just going to make what I like!!!

krystolla Fuzzbutt Bears
Columbus Ohio

. . . tried something I didn't think I could do.

I read an article that said the difference between average and great is that the people who acheive greatness are always pushing the limits of what they can do. So, new fabrics, new colors, new techniques . . . the downside is that I spend a lot of time very frustrated but how else would I know I was challenging myself?

-- Erika
Fuzzbutt Bears

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

--when I follow the idea that keeps me awake at night planning & replanning, even if I think it might not appeal to anyone but me
--when I am having fun instead of feeling obligated
--when I am balanced in other aspects of my life - seeing friends, getting chores done, etc
--when I am enjoying the journey of artmaking, instead of being impatient for the destination
--when I have pals at TT (who UNDERSTAND) to swap ideas & inspiration with!

Board footer