Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I read this on BBN and thought you should all read it as I'm sure at some time or another we have all licked an envelope.

Some inside info from someone who apparently knows....

I used to work for an envelope company. Our plant supervisor used
to work in
the Chicago plant and told us not to lick the envelopes because they
would
often find dead rats at the bottom of the glue barrel (after thousands
of
envelopes had been glued and shipped). EEWW!
------------------------------------------------------
I work in a factory and we have 2 employees who used to work in an
envelope
factory. They told me that when the machine jams up, they use
whatever water
is handy to thin out the glue. This includes water that they just
mopped the
floor with. Since then, I've avoided licking envelopes...
-------------------------------------------------------------
1.) If you lick your envelopes... You won't anymore!!! A woman was
working
in a post office in California. One day she licked the envelopes
and postage
stamps instead of using a sponge. That very day the lady cut her tongue
on
the envelope. A week later, she noticed an abnormal swelling of her
tongue.
She went to the doctor, but they found nothing wrong. Her tongue was not
sore or anything. A couple of days later, her tongue started to swell
more,
and it began to get so sore, that she could not eat.

She went back to the hospital, and demanded something be done. The
doctor
took an x-ray of her tongue and noticed a lump. He prepared her for
minor
surgery. When the doctor cut her tongue open, a live cockroach crawled
out!!!! There were roach eggs on the seal of the envelope. The egg was
able
to hatch inside of her tongue, because of her saliva. It was warm and
moist...
This is a true story reported on CNN.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2.) Andy Hume wrote: "Hey, I used to work in an envelope factory. You
wouldn't believe the things that float around in those gum
applicator trays.
I haven't licked an envelope for years!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
3.) To All: I used to work for a print shop (32 years ago) and we
were told NEVER to lick the envelopes... I never understood why until
I had to go into storage and pull out 2500 envelops that were already
printed for a customer who was doing a mailing and saw several squads
of roaches roaming around inside a couple of boxes with eggs
everywhere. They eat the glue on the envelopes. I think print shops
have a harder time controlling roaches than a restaurant. I always buy
the self-sealing type. Or if need be, I use a glue stick to seal one
that has the type of glue that needs to be wet to stick. After reading this you
will never lick another envelope or stamp ever again.
Have a nice day, & keep your tongues where they belong!

Jane

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Ewwwww ! I will never lick another envelope or stamp again..Thank You !....Winney

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Don't worry, folks.  Parts of that have been circulating the Internet for a few years, and have been disproved as a hoax.  I imagine the rest of it should be as well bear_original  If you ever have any questions about rumors heard on the web, this is a good place to figure out what is a real and what is not... http://www.snopes.com/

Here is a direct link to where they talk about the 'roach egg in the tongue' and some other parts of this:
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/tacobell.asp

Still lickin' envelopes,
Kelly

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

What a relief!  Thanks, Kelly!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Anyone remember the Sienfeld episode where jason alexanders fiancee dies because of poisened glue on the wedding invitations?

Mr. Understatement-turned-paranoid turned to me, lo those many years ago, and said,' makes sense, I'm never licking another one.'

Well that's one way tro avoid paper cuts on your tongue :lol:

bear_tongue dilly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I remember that epidose, Dilu, and was just about to mention it!

Whenever I receive an especially "warning-infested" email or notice I always check it out -- or have my hubby do the same.  His favorite is www.urbanlegends.about.com."  Very much like the SNOPES site Kelly mentions above.

You just can't believe how much time and energy is spent spreading these scary things around.  Stuff that really alarms people, like:  "New study shows using deoderant causes breast cancer" or, "My daughter is missing; help me find her!"  It really prays on the empathy and concern of human kind.

In any case, though, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the lady with the cockroach tongue.  That has GOT to beat my survival-toilet-paper-wiping story by a mile!  bear_grin

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

I hear yah! But really ladies.. if we knew half of what we really eat, drink and touch well we might as well curl up in a ball and die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Hugs Louise

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

There's still  no way I'll ever be licking an envelope again!
As for stamps we don't have to lick them in the UK anymore as they just have to be peeled away from the packet and placed on the envelope...done! 

Jane.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

This is why I stopped licking them... but I continue not to because I have had one to many paper cuts on my tongue or corner of my mouth and they taste NASTY!  and for all you dieters, there are added calories! LOL

Quy nomonkeybiz.com
Costa Mesa, CA
Website

Quy Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Not mine...just passing along bear_grin :

Thank you to all!

I wanted to thank all of you who have taken the time and trouble to send me chain letters and forwards over the past several years. Thank you for making me safe, blessed, and wealthy. Because of your concern:

I no longer drink Coca Cola, because it can remove toilet bowl stains.

I no longer drink anything out of a can so I won't get sick from the rat feces and urine on the top.

I no longer use Saran wrap in the microwave because it causes cancer.

I no longer check the coin return on pay phones because I could be pricked with a needle infected with AIDS.

I no longer use cancer-causing deodorants even though I smell like a water buffalo on a hot day.

I no longer go to shopping malls because someone will drug me with a perfume sample and rob me.

I no longer receive packages from UPS or FedEx since they are actually Al Qaeda in disguise.

I no longer shop at Target since they are French and don't support our American troops.

I no longer eat prepackaged foods because the estrogens they contain will certainly turn me gay.

I no longer eat KFC because their chickens are actually horrible, mutant freaks, with no eyes or feathers.

I no longer date the opposite sex because they will take my kidneys and leave me taking a nap in a bathtub full of ice.

I no longer buy expensive cookies from Neiman Marcus because I now have their recipe.

I no longer worry about my soul because I have 363,214 angels looking out for me, and St. Theresa's novena has granted my every wish.

Thanks to you, I have learned that God only answers my prayers if I forward an e-mail to seven of my friends and make a wish within five minutes.

I no longer have any savings because I gave it to a sick girl who is about to die in the hospital (for the 1,387,258th time).

I no longer have any money at all, but that will change once I receive the $15,000 that Microsoft and AOL are sending me for participating in their special e-mail program.

Yes, I want to thank all of you soooooooo much for looking out for me!

So much so, that I'd like to return the favor-

If you don't send this e-mail to at least 1,200 people in the next 60 seconds, a large bird with diarrhea will poop on your head at 5:00 PM this afternoon and the fleas of a thousand camels will infest your armpits. I know this will occur because it actually happened to a friend of a friend of a friend of my next door neighbor's ex-mother-in-law's 8th husband's 2nd cousin's 3rd husband's ex-wife's mother's beautician.

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Quy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What a hoot you:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

Many Hugs Louise

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Heheh that is funny bear_original  Ahhh the joys of the internet eh!

Danni

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:lol::lol::lol:Great thread, all :lol::lol::lol:

Just what I need, here in the throes of taking apart a badly placed leg and rejointing it! bear_angry

So thanks for the neat info and laughs!

I love that Seinfeld episode.

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

LOL...Quy, that is too funny,that's great... must print it out to give to friends...Winney

Quy nomonkeybiz.com
Costa Mesa, CA
Website

Quy Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Gardening Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.

Life is sexually transmitted.

Health is merely the slowest possible rate a which one can die.

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Have you noticed since everyone has a camcorder these days no one talks about seeing UFOs like they used to?

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its butt."

Why is there a light in the fridge and not in the freezer?

Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

Why does your OB-GYN leave the room when you get undressed if they are going to look up there anyway?

Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains on all fours? They're both dogs!

If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that Acme crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog's face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him on a car ride, he sticks  his head out the window?

Does pushing the elevator button more than once make it arrive faster?

Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Do you ever wonder why you gave me your email address?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

They're all good, Quy, but that one's my favorite.

Really needed a laugh today; thank you for that. :)

HUGS,

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
Quy wrote:

Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

lol::lol: OH MY! I lost it at this one LMAO thanks I needed a laugh

ellen ontario, canada

thanx Quy!
i love the slinky one!
bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin Quy, you clever guy, you!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin Goody, more Quy!

These are great . . . please keep them coming!

Eileen

Board footer