Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

How do you experienced bear artists adjust your patterns for different sizes?  I've read Nancy Tillberg's book and understand the concept but am just curious how anyone actually applies the theory.  I've been playing (I like that better than working) on a bear this weekend...he's only 4-1/2 inches but I kinda am liking the way he looks and would like to try bigger version of him...let's say 12 - 15 inches.  Should I just remove the seam allowance and take my drawings to the copy center and have them made bigger?  Or is there another method that works well?

Thanks again,

Shantell

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi Shantell,

I have a scanner at home, so after taking off the seam allowance I scan the pieces in.  I then take the exact sizes of the pieces and increase them by however much I want.  I increase each piece by the same, ie all by 10% or whatever you wish.  So I would think it would work just as well at the copy shop.

Good luck :)
Catherine

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Catherine,
I love your avatar!!!
There is a formular to know what % to in/decrease the pattern by. It's real simple. I read it in an old bear making book. I've looked through all my books and can't find where I read it. Nor do I remember the formular! I have to admit I haven't read that part of Nancy's book.... guess I ought to. Does she give a formular?
Daphne

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Yup it was Nancy ...she gave a formula in her last book...Winney

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I have the formula from Nancy's book 101 Bears to Make...I was just curious if you gals just go to the copy center, use a light box or grid paper transfer...things like that...or just how you go about doing it.  I'll probably just figure out how much I need to enlarge and go to the copy center.

Shantell

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Copy center, definitely.
I have a suggestion. If you copy/enlarge the pieces onto heavy paper like card stock paper you don't need to trace them onto cardboard or template plastic. Just cut 'em out and start using them! Of course template plastic or the like will last longer in the end but the card stock works great too!
Daphne

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

You should know...when you use a copy maching to enlarge ...the head gains more in size than the rest of the pattern. Take a look in Nancys book about this or does anyone know here the info. on that ?....Winney

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

LMAO bear_grin big head bears bear_grin - sorry, easily amused

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

HI!

I've been taking the seam allowance off my patterns first -

Scan in  (and save for future reference)

Enlarge or reduce however much I want (or you could do this part at the copy store)

**and YES, I've just started printing/copying onto card stock!

Now I go and ADD the seam allowance back to the pattern

PLUS>>>>>>  to make these more durable -- I first put a double layer of clear contact paper on the pattern pieces and THEN cut out!  Very durable!

Board footer