Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I recently listed bears on ebay and 2 out of the three I listed (which ended Friday) didn't sell.  Would you advise that I open my auctions to overseas bidders???  How do I ship things overseas?  Is there any special handling?  Any info on this subject that you can provide is appreciated!!!  bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kim, it's easy to ship internationally but can be expensive for your buyer.  Make sure to state that in your auction.  They pay not only shipping and insurance charges but sometimes also some kind of import tax.  I had one customer tell me she paid almost as much in taxes as for the bear itself.  That was no small pricetag, when all was said and done!

Go to your local USPS and grab their booklet, "International Postal Rates and Fees", Publication 51, April 2003... or a newer version of that booklet, if they've since published one.  I'm sure you could also look up current rates online.  I prefer the hard-copy method myself as I don't find the USPS website particularly easy to use.  www.usps.com.

Also, when shipping internationally, the tendency is to want to ship Airmail Parcel Post with Insurance because at first glace it appears to be most cost-effective for your buyer.  But do know that sometimes -- for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me -- it's actually cheaper to use the "fancier" service, Global Express Mail.  And it gets there quicker, too!  Global Express Mail includes a certain amount of insurance in the cost of the service, and I think is also trackable.  I don't do THAT much International shipping so it's sometimes a case of relearning each time.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Thank you Shelli, I should have known that you would know bear_laugh  I just dont know if it is worth venturing into shipping overseas or not....

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

There's no extra hassle for you, except the brief time required to learn how to do it.  I had a hard time jumping into it too -- it was just "one more thing" in my endless list of things to do/learn/practice each day -- but it's very worth it for the extra customers and attention it brings.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I agree with Shelli!  I now use the EMS service for overseas... yes, it DOES have a tracking number and it also includes insurance up to $100.  You can always add more insurance.  I used to do air parcel post insured... but there's no tracking # with that one.  You'll also have to fill out a customs form... but it's really easy bear_original  The PO will tell you which one.  And yes, I do think it can help your auctions when you don't limit your shipping areas.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Same here.  I think opening your doors to overseas buyers is a great thing to do.  I have bears in eleven countries through ebay, and have never lost a package yet. Although I have had one package get lost in the mail traveling to the next state over, Illionois.  Thank goodness I insured the package.

Some countries like England and New Zeland have what's called a VAT, Value Added Tax, like Shelli said, it can add quite a bit to the final cost for the buyer.  Some overseas buyers will ask you to declare the value to be much less than what they actaully paid......shady gray area there...risky too.

I am thrilled when I get to ship overseas.  It's neat knowing that my bears live all over the world.  The rules are different in each country.  I found that when shipping to Japan you cannot insure the package.  It normally takes seven to ten days for a bear to arrive to almost any country.  However there can be delays in customs.  I had a bear just this past Christmas, spend more than four weeks in customs in New Zealand.

I have great faith in our postal system (gee I hope I didn't just jinx myself!).

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Most interesting.

I'm having a terrible time finding out the details of the Canadian shipping process.

I've only been a buyer so far, and any package over a certain value or size or weight (can't find that out either) costs me another 15% plus a $5.00 customs handling fee. It can really add up. I'm learning that it's cheaper to buy small amounts of stuff and pay more postage than to pay the tax and customs charge.

I've paid hefty charges for 'used' fur coats and 'gifts' from my sisters and 'previously owned' mohair pieces. All of this can be appealed, but I'm not confident of the result.

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

so many things to think about... I guess I will wait until my bears get the "big bucks"  people wont want to spend an arm and a leg on postage and all other fees if the bear they bought was less than that!  (my last bear on ebay sold for a whopping $5 - but thankfully, it was made of synthetic and was my third bear I made so I wasn't too upset - I would have liked to get a little more but hopefuly now that my skills are better, I will get more for my recent ones... I refuse to sell my new ones for $5!!!!)  Like i said to my hubby, if I dont sell them now, I will just have inventory for the holiday season!!!

Board footer