Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'd like to do a center seam bear but haven't a clue how to design it... I learn best by using an artist pattern first so as to get the hang of the pieces and assembly process. Anyone have a suggestion for a good, great center seam pattern to try??? Nothing less than 10" please!!

Thanks!
Daphne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Actually, this brings up a question I've been meaning to ask for some time.

When I was starting out designing patterns and bearmaking, I read quite a few how-to books, with patterns, and they talked about center-seam bears and why they came to be (has to do with using as much of the mohair yardage as possible.)

Anyhoos... one of those books had a head pattern which was two pieces; left and right side.  They came together at the center.  Center seam bear, was what the pattern was called.  TWO piece head.

In the time since, however, after more lookin' and readin' and studyin', it's dawned on me (I'm a blonde, remember?) that center seam really refers to bears that have a seam down the center... but also have the "usual" gusset seams as well.  In other words, these bears don't have TWO head pieces, or THREE, but rather, have FOUR:  one for each side, left and right, and two pieces which, TOGETHER, make up the gusset.

Is this latter explanation actually the correct understanding of the center seam bear?  That it has FOUR head pattern pieces... and not two, as the one book I read had me to believe?

And, if so... Why on earth would someone choose to make one intentionally?  Just to better direct the fur nap?  I mean, it's just one more piece to match up and ruin with mistakes!!!

Just curious about your understanding of this...

PS  Sorry, Daphne, but I can't help you a bit with this!  bear_laugh

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shelli,
I was thinking it'd be two pieces.... easy for kids (pre-teen) to assemble... and me too! FOUR PIECES! Eeeks! Forget it!!!

Wanda, where's Wanda Carson? It's her Tyler bear that got me thinking on this to begin with. (I'm SO in love with that bear.... if only.....) Wanda is your head really in four pieces??? :lol::lol::lol:

Daphne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

My head is in ten thousand pieces, and none of them fit together.  :o:|;)

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

This is sounding more like a quilt than a bear!!!  I too thought they were just two piece heads...and I've been reading quite a bit about bear making lately.  I'll never get this all figured out bear_ermm

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh I have been wanting to ask this question also.  A lot of lovely vintage bears have center seams - and look fantastic.  I prefer them being  a two peice head, not a four.  I wonder why you would bother have a four peice head?

Any explantions out there?!?!

Danni

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Take a look at my avatar, that bear does have a two piece head. I designed the pattern a year or so ago. I just added half of the would be gusset width to the pattern piece of the head sections and this is what I got.

Jane

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I do quite a few center seam bears.  And, yes, they do have four pieces instead of two.  I have never done one with two pieces.   To answer your question, why do it?  I do it when I am trying to get a certain antique look.  It is more work and you do have to really be careful matching the nose.  It certainly is not my favorite thing to do, but I do like the finished product.   So, the easy part is making the pattern (simply cut the gusset in half leaving a seam allowance),  making it come together is a bit tougher.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

She has a really lovely shaped head Jane...a very dainty and feminine bear.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I have one pattern, Roary by Pam Holten. Haven't made him yet, but his head is 2 pieces. They look like regular side head pieces to me and the instructions say to stuff untill you get the shape you want. So I'm assuming, the stuffing and sculpsting the eyes gives the 2 pieces a head shape.
A 4 piece head?? Now that does seem like alot of work!
Heather

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Would you add a dart on both sides to make it more round for the 2 piece head?

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

well, the one pattern I have, has no darts. I should make him so I can share what happens. But I think it all just depends on how you stuff it. Although, just knowing that I think I like the gusset style better.
Heather

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Jane, You made that sound so darn easy!!! Why didn't I think of that?
I wondered about darts too....
Guess I won't' know the end result until I try it!

However, after designing a new muzzle that looks more like Pinochio's nose than anything else I think I'll hold off a few days before attempting another design!! I'm off to go see what Pinochio's costume looks like... if it's simple I'll finish this poor bear..he'll be a conversation piece if nothing else... then I'm going to destroy that pattern!!!

Hugs,
Daphne

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Kirsten said

Would you add a dart on both sides to make it more round for the 2 piece head?

I have not added darts to any of my two piece head bears and I've done quite a few. I just stuff them really tightly and form the shape as I go along. I don't know if this would work on a big bear but it's been fine on bears up to ten inches tall.
These are all bears with two piece heads.
  butternutbody.jpg
sweetwilliam75.jpg tyson84.jpg

Jane.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Jane, your bears are sooooooooooo cute!  bear_original

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

How absolutely cute Jane. I love all of them but that little pink sweetie has sure caught my eye.

Hugs Louise

Tofield Alberta Canada

Maybe its a pinky tan? Looks peachy pink on my monitor. Anyway absolutely cute!!!

Hugs Louise

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hey Jane Thank you for the piccs.....yu pleased this greedy little not-wanting-to-do-anything-real-today gus.  i love your center seamed bears. wonderful wonderful wonderful  i see how wonderfully the center seamed bears hair goes....so cute!

thank you guys for such an interesting topic.  My new gollies have 5 piece heads. hmmmmmm  guess you don't want to do that!

Dilu

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

lockie.jpgTechnically speaking...I think most references to a centre seam head are referring to the older steiff style bear heads with the head gussett slices in two. Yes it does seem like a lot of eaxtra work, and I find it enough of a challenge to line up the nose seams perfetly as it is without adding the bulk of another seam junction, so I won't be trying one of those. I think the two piece heads like Janes cuties, are just that, two piece heads. It can be confusing though.
As to why anyone would want to do a real centre seam bear...well you wouldn't unless you were trying to recreate the antique look of the old Steiffs.
I made one two piece head bear and really liked the look. You certainly don't get the roundness you get from a three piece head...but I think three piece heads are highly over rated! It's so quick to make up a bear without the dreaded head gussett...and for those of you who are ready to jump into making your own first design but are daunted by the whole gussett thing...the two piece head is a great way to get your feet wet!
This is Lockie...my two piece head bear.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuute!:)

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh thanks to everyone who made suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

What adorable bears!!! I love them all, thanks for sharing!

Danni

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes, thank you!!! Jane & Hayley.... your bears are wonderful and inspirational!!!

I'll certainly give this a try. How again?

Just add half the gusset piece to the side head piece?????
(Hold my hand here.....pweese!!)Daphne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awww Hayley  he is so cute.....just melts my heart to see these bears!

Especially since I have been such a slug today!

Thank you for sharing

Dilu

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Did I hear my name ???

Yes, I love the center seam bears.  They remind me of the old Steiff bears and it is an extra step or two, but well worth it.   You might want to give it a try, just to do something different.

And thank you for the kind compliment.   It is greatly appreciated.

Hugs,

Wanda Carson

Tofield Alberta Canada

Adorable Haley!!

hugs  Louise

Board footer