Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I just had to post that my little orange ferral kitty is in the middle of having babies as I type.  She was not at her usual post this morning (the welcome mat at the back door) staring in and meowing for her breakfast.  So I wandered outside onto the deck and Samech our other cat was by the stairs leading onto the deck peeking...then we could hear little tiny kitty meows.  AWWWWWWWW....

So I started looking under the deck between the decorative screening to see if I could figure out where Skippy was...finally found her close to the house so then I layed down on the deck and peeked through the slats.  Skippy was laying on her side and peered up at me...then moved her little paw back and kind of rolled onto her back and bit to show off her little ones.  So far only two...one orange like her and one white like the father (our other ferral kitty Surrender).  It appears she's still laboring. 

I'm am so thrilled for a couple reasons....

1.  She didn't have them out in many of the brush piles in the pasture but had them close to the house so hopefully they will be safer and we can socialize them.

2.  I love babies.

3.  I love baby kitties

4.  I love babies.

Any suggestions on what I should do to keep them and her safe from the skunks, raccoons, and other critters that roam the pastures.  I don't want to disturb her.  I'm hoping she moves them on her own to one of the cat beds we have outside (covered litterboxes with blankets in them).

bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:dance:  :dance: How Exciting Shantell!!  I love baby kitties too.  Their little meows are so sweet and they just tend to look like little teddy bears with those little ears.  The stubby little tails are darling too!  Do take some pics if you can so we can see too!! bear_wub  bear_wub

As far as keeping the wild critters away, I'm not sure as we always had our mommas shut in the tack room in the barn during this time.  I think though, that Skippy probably chose her spot next to the house as it felt safe to her.  Momma cats are usually kind of picky about that!  Do you have skunks and raccoons come right up to the house ever?  If they already stay away for the most part, maybe an outside light on all night would help keep it that way.  I've also used a radio playing all night in the barn with some success.......worked for a few days  until the raccoons figured it out....they're not dumb darn it!

She probably won't move her babies unless something happens to make her feel threatened.  Unless....is it possible for you to quietly slip one of the cat boxes under the deck where she might easily access it? 

Keep us posted!!
:hug:
Tracy

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh how sweet, I love little kitties!
I'm not sure what to do to keep the skunks away!
I do know they will kill them if they can get to them.
When we lived out in the country a few years back a
rabbit had her babies in the front flower bed and porch.
They were adorable! During the night a skunk came
dug them out and killed them all!
I was so sad and upset!
Just be careful!!!!!!!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shantell, I can't wait to see pictures!  I hope everything is okay for her.  I wonder if you moved one of the kittens to the covered bed, if she would follow? 
    We had one female cat that got pregnant very young, and when she had her kittens, it appeared she didn't have a clue what was happening.  She delivered her first kitten in our bedroom floor, one Easter sunday, and I found her hiding under the bed, growling at the kitten!  I picked it up, dried it off and carefully put it in the bed we had made for her, and the mother quickly followed into the box.  I think Tracy's idea of trying to put one of the beds under the deck might be worth a try, or could she me moved to an outdoor shed, for protection?  I'm excited for you - I'll be checking this thread often LOL!

Hugs,

Brenda

Willamette Valley Oregon

I tried to take a picture but it's so dark that it didn't turn out very well.  Unfortunately with her being under the deck I can't get to her or the kittens to even attempt to move any of them...nor would I try as she is a wild cat.  However, I did move the bed that I've seen her sleep in many times to one of the entrances under the deck in hopes that her familiar smell in the bed will entice her to move the babies there.  Who knows...

As far as the skunks and racoons...are you kidding they think this places is a dinner hall.  They are completely unafraid of us and actually look in the windows to see if we are home...I swear they knock sometimes.  bear_original

She so far has at least three babies...but I think there might be a fourth as I'm sure I saw a calico looking one but again...it's me laying on the deck peeking into a crack between the slats.  I'm sure I look like an idiot. 

I'll keep the maternity alerts updated... bear_original bear_original  I'm worse than a child...I just get giddy over this stuff.

Thanks Shantell - I'd be giddy too!  I love this sort of excitement - it's what life's all about.  Hopefully, when she has finished delivering and she's had a while to rest, you might be able to entice her out to eat and then you can get a better view of things.

If she is under the deck is there any protection for her or is it completely open?  Animals are smart though, if they think the babies are in any danger, they will move them.  Hopefully she will move into the covered bed.  Can't wait for your next update.  It's too bad you are at the other side of the continent - I'd looooove to see them.  I'd probably be picking out one to keep!

Hugs,

Brenda

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

THIS BRINGS BACK MANY FOND MEMORIES...

IT MUST BE TWELVE YEARS +  SINCE I HAD KITTIES AROUND THE HOUSE...

I PLAYED MIDWIFE ON MANY AN OCCASSION... AFTER THE LOCAL TOM CAME TO CALL...

My old cat inky a tortoiseshell cat, used to come to mum for help... id have to sit down and stroke her tummy as she gave birth... IT WAS SO MOVING... She had tortoiseshell, ginger kittens... i loved them all...

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY THEM SHANTELL

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi Shantell, 

that is so cool - just love babies! Anyway- I would bring her in to your house- somewhere if you can. She will be ok to move. Once she is done having the kittens that is.   
Just a thought - not knowing your place - or were she is exactly- if she can get out from were she is - so can others animals get in.

hugs kassie

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

HOw cool!

I don't have any advice for you, but I would be super excited as well!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh how FUN Shantell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Don't ya just love Spring and new life!!!???  Now, why can't you be in Ohio, so in a few weeks, I could give one of the little kittens a home!!!! 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wahoo . . . new babies!!  Keep us posted . . . that is sooooo exciting!

Willamette Valley Oregon

It appears Ms. Skippy is the mother of 3 little ones.   2 orange and 1 white.  I'm guessing the little calico looking one must have just been one of the orange ones and not thoroughly cleaned up with I was leering through the cracks of the deck.  I sound like such a low life peeping tom.   :crackup:   They all seem to be doing quite well so far.  I think Ms Skippy is going to be a fine mommy.

I've tried numerous times to get photos and it just isn't happening.  Hopefully she moves them to a better viewing location.   Jeez...doesn't she know I wanna see them up close and personal.

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

lol...of course she know you wanna get a picture...but being rather "wild" it's gonna be on her terms...not yours... I love babies!!!! Sending those new little ones & mamma extra protection from the really wild kritters!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh Shantell!! 
Do you think you'll be able to move the babies and the momma?!!!  I just don't think I could take a sad story right now.

This is just the neatest thing.....hearing of new life right here on TT!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

P.S.  If the momma is ferral and the papa is ferrel will the babies most certainly be ferral too?  I know nothing of wild kitties and I'm curious.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Shantell this is so exciting to read. I only saw newborn kittens ( 12 hours old)  for the 1st time a few months ago.  I was so thrilled . They are just adorable aren't they !   Can't wait to read more about the new babies.  Thanks fior sharing this miracle of life with us  !

Willamette Valley Oregon

I was in the middle of typing this message and my housemate runs in the house...SHANTELL come here...I think she's had another one...AND sure enough there are clearly FOUR kitten now and she's madly cleaning the poor baby.  It's been HOURS since she had the third one.  I'm exhausted for her.

Aleta - The Silly Bear wrote:

P.S.  If the momma is ferral and the papa is ferrel will the babies most certainly be ferral too?  I know nothing of wild kitties and I'm curious.

Both mamma and papa are just domestic cats that have been left to fend for themselves which is where the term ferral cat comes from.  (Or so is my understanding)

My hope...and I'm crossing every hair, finger, toe, etc., is that we can be close enough to the babies while they are young that they will not be wild and we can then adopt them out...or perhaps keep one.   bear_tongue    The vet I talked to said that if I trap both the mother & father they may (or may not)  become a little more friendly with us because they know we feed them and have never tried to harm them.  It's a long shot but it does happen.

Hi Shantell - poor Skippy has had a rough day and I hope it's all finished for her.  She must be absolutely exhausted.  I wonder if once she comes out of the box to eat, if you could move the kittens - I'm sure she would follow.  Maybe you have an outbuilding?   I'm worried about those wee things. 

Aleta, firends of ours had a ferral cat with kittens in their backyard.  She had them inbetween rows of a woodpile and once they were walking, they climbed in and out of the woodpile for protection and were almost impossible to catch.  We finally did get them all AND the mommy and they managed to find homes for all of them.  Another friend took one of the kittens, an orange male one they named Jake, and although he was shy, he turned out to be the sweetest cat I've ever known!

hugs,

Brenda

Willamette Valley Oregon

Me too...but there is NO getting them.  The decking material is that new fangled decking material with a decorative lattice skirting.  She gets under there through a gap near one of the set of stairs.  She laying next to the house almost under the sliding glass door.  She's at least 8 feet from any opening and I couldn't crawl under there even if I took the lattice down (which I can't because I'd break it).

So...my only hope is that she moves them into the bed I've moved for her near one of openings.  I've only left one other open so she can get out and it's the one closests to the house and where she is right now.   We have no outbuildings either.

It's just a dilemma...so say your prayers.

Portland, Oregon
Website

The reason I ask about the kitties is....well....I told my son I was going to get him two kittens for his birthday.  His birthday is in August.  Will ferral kittens do well kept as indoor cats?  I'm thinking if they're outside kittens from the start....they probably wouldn't like being kept in a house all the time.  ???

Aleta

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Kittens can be very adaptable, and its possible once you got the kitten to get it to become an indoor kitty by keeping it in a room in the house, and playing with it.  Once the kitten was comfortable with the one room (all kitty bed, litterpan toys in this 'bedroom') you can begin to let it into other rooms of the house, expanding the territory.  I'd say as long as you started it this way, even a feral kitten could become a housekitty.  The trouble will be Shantell laying hands on the kitten!  I'd think she'd have to trap it when it gets around 8 weeks old.

As for protection against skunks and coons.....I think Skippy's gotten herself and her brood in the safest place possible.  You'll just have to trust her instincts and simply hope for the best. 

Keep us updated on the little darlings  bear_wub

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

That's so exciting, Shantell!  I hope the new family is doing well.  I hope we get to see pictures.

Shantell, obviously Skippy is one smart kitty.  She has found a quiet, safe spot, where she is out of the way.  Can you drape something over the lattice area where she is?  I was just thinking that animals see so well in the dark, if they are "camoflaged" maybe they won't notice her. 
     Aleta, feral kittens can make very good pets, if you can get them really young.  We found a tiny, feral kitten years ago near some railroad tracks in the middle of the night.  We took it to my parents house, and it almost scratched my face off, it was so feisty.  We put it in the garage and fed it some warm milk and warm shepherd's pie, as we had no food or litter for her until the next day.  It took three of us to catch her the next morning but within two or three days, she was snuggling with me.  Trust me, even kittens aren't stupid.  Warm shephard's pie and milk = warm snuggle!  We had her for 17 years and she was the best mouser we ever had. 

Hugs,

Brenda

Willamette Valley Oregon

I think she's probably in the safest place she can be right now so I'm going to just leave her alone to do her mommy thing.  Skunks have terrible eyesight even at night.  They use their scene of smell and hearing more so hopefully she's far enough back from any openings that they won't bother her.  I haven't actually seen a skunk around for a couple months since we've been really careful about picking up the food before it gets dark.  I think they have moved on to some other diner for now.

I'll post photos if I can get any and keep you up to date.  It's exciting.  I haven't had kittens since my son Taylor was born...and the kitty I kept from that litter past away from feline leukemia about 3 years ago at 12...broke my heart.

All I can say is I'm going to be a mess when I become a grandma if I get so excited about ferral kittens.   bear_wacko   bear_wub

Portland, Oregon
Website

Me too, Shantell!  The Grandma thing.  Although I've already told both of my kids that it's Nana and Papa.  The OTHER mother can be Grandma.  I refuse to look or act like a Grandma until I'm 90......or 95!!  I've also given my children fair warning that I will spoil their children as I see fit.  I've always been a strict disciplinarian so I don't think this will be a problem.     :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Aleta

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi shantell,   

I didn't realize they are Feral cats - miss have missed that. All I can say is mama will be very protective of them - those Feral Mama's are nothing other animals want to mess with. I have many Feral cats & kittens I feed here and they are wonderful mothers. One Feral Mama took on our goat and then she would push her kittens back and then go at the goat again. I I was trying to get the goat away while the mama cat was going after the goat and the kittens were trying to get back to mama. And around and around we went. It must have looked pretty funny for a observes point of view. She will be fine. Can wait to see those baby pictures.
Animals are interesting - they know were it is safe to be. She knows you are good to be around.  :hug:

Aleta  bear_flower - I have hand raised Feral kittens - I have two now and have adopted many out that I have raised. All of the people who have adopted from me tell me how wonderful they are. I got to say, I really don't see much difference in them. They are like most animals - you love them - they love you back. Other than they all have there own personalities. They do make great house cats too.
I have nine more Feral cats & kittens outside that I feed they have no homes, so I try to take care of them. And at night I will go and sit with them. It is kinda funny how they roll on the ground and at times even prrr wanting attention - but they are not ready to allow me to touch them.
So I just sit and talk to them and that seems to be enough for them - for now.
Sometimes I think they are even waiting for me to come and sit with them. I will go outside and then they all came running and find a place to sit and we all just sit there together while I talk to them. It is really cool.

hugs kassie

Board footer