Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

Copy-of-IMG_1127.JPGCopy-of-IMG_1126.JPGCopy-of-IMG_1083.JPGCopy-of-IMG_1134.JPGCopy-of-IMG_1116.JPGHi Every One,
I just wanted to show off the newest members of my family. Two little love starved female Presa Canario puppies. My Doberman Storm was lonely after Zara & Magic passed, so it was time to get her some play mates. These girls are about 4 months old, their from different litters but only 3 days apart.
Coda is the bigger one & Shadow is the little cry baby.
~ Sandy     bear_wub

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi Sandy- aawww look at those faces - what beautiful dogs - well they wouldn't be love straved anymore.  bear_original

hugs kassie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh Sandy they are beautiful. How is Storm taking to the new babies? I feel that you will have your hands full for a long time. Two new puppies at the same time, wow! I love their names. I have just named a bear Coda after my friend's dog, her Coda is a dalmation!

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower

nettie scotland
Website

They are beautiful and I am so pleased they have a good home now.Their ears are so erect.Do dogs still have them doctored in the u.s???It is illegal here so our dobbies and great Danes look very different.I have never seen this breed before.
I am sure you will have loads of fun with them.It is nice for dogs to have company I think.
Hugs Dianexx

piegabaer Speyer/Germany

What beautiful dogs  bear_wub  bear_wub

beary_clairey Luton

Aaaawwww, look at their lovely faces. I love dogs and have 2 of my own. How are they all getting on?

Do their ears stand up naturally or do they have something done to make them look that way then???

Claire

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Awwwwwhhhhh...they look LOVELY!!!   bear_wub I'm sure they'll be keeping you and Storm busy for quite some time to come  bear_grin

I'm not sure if these babies have had their ears cropped or not, but in the US some breeds do indeed still have the ears cropped.  I know its illegal in the UK, and some other countries, but the laws were passed in England back in the 1800s when indeed it was very harsh for the dogs.  Nowadays they have anesthesia, and pain control, so its not quite the same thing. 

Also, as a retired dog groomer, I'd like to say for the record, there IS a reason for ear cropping ~ it does prevent chronic ear infections.  So no, it is not always just for the dog's job as a guardian (floppy ears provide a handle in a fight, and something for a burglar to get ahold of to control the dog's head).   bear_happy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great looking little pups, Sandy!  I've not heard of that breed before, either.  So glad you got Storm some playmates!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sandy, I'm so glad you have some new babies at your house.  I know it's been a really rough year for you, dog-wise.

bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Awwww, soooo sweet!

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

I love those cute faces!! bear_wub  bear_wub
Joan

nettie scotland
Website
DebbieD wrote:

Awwwwwhhhhh...they look LOVELY!!!   bear_wub I'm sure they'll be keeping you and Storm busy for quite some time to come  bear_grin

I'm not sure if these babies have had their ears cropped or not, but in the US some breeds do indeed still have the ears cropped.  I know its illegal in the UK, and some other countries, but the laws were passed in England back in the 1800s when indeed it was very harsh for the dogs.  Nowadays they have anesthesia, and pain control, so its not quite the same thing. 

Also, as a retired dog groomer, I'd like to say for the record, there IS a reason for ear cropping ~ it does prevent chronic ear infections.  So no, it is not always just for the dog's job as a guardian (floppy ears provide a handle in a fight, and something for a burglar to get ahold of to control the dog's head).   ;)

Thanks for the information.I didn't think they would do it if it was cruel.I was not sure if this was a sticky up ear breed???I have german pointers that had their tails docked before I got them.I used to think it was wrong but I have another non docked dog who is constantly ripping open her tail .i Think dogs in the field benefit from docking now but don't understand why breeds like boxers still do .I know that in some contries it is illegal too.
Diane

nettie scotland
Website

I just went away and read up on them.I love dogs and like to know breed origins.I have been to three of the canary islands where they originate.They seem to have the characteristics of staffordshire bull terriers which I love too.Nice to come on TT and learn something.Have fun with the babies.They look so cuddly.
Diane xxx

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

Hi, This breed is born with floppy ears & they are usually cropped. For what reason I have no idea. I think it's curl to crop ears or tails & my personal feelings are dogs or any animals should stay the way they are born. The breeder gets the ears done at an early age, way before they can be sold. Or else we wouldn't have gotten them cropped. After the ears are cropped they stay the way they look in the pictures. They don't require all the extra wrapping like the Dobbie's ears do. It was Ray's turn to pick the breed of puppies we got. I picked last time, that's how we ended up with a little Pomeranian. I guess he didn't want another little lap dog. Even though these 2 are differently lap dogs. They weren't mistreated or anything before we got them. When I wrote their love starved, I only mente that they are big lovers. No matter how much love & attention they get, it's never enough & they always want more.
Storm wasn't to happy with them at first but now that they settled down every one is getting along really good. Of course Storm is the boss.
The Presa Canario breed are quick learners, very loyal, protective & determined. Like all our dogs, (except Mercedes) Coda & Shadow will be professionally trained in obedience & protection. It's important to have proper & as much control as possible when it comes to dogs like these. I'm sure they will grow in to great dogs & be a wonderful part of our family.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Sandy, I'm glad you have new babies to pamper and I'm sure they will soak it all up.  Have lots of fun with them

Hugs,

Brenda

DebbieD Posts: 3,540
nettie wrote:

Thanks for the information.I didn't think they would do it if it was cruel.I was not sure if this was a sticky up ear breed???I have german pointers that had their tails docked before I got them.I used to think it was wrong but I have another non docked dog who is constantly ripping open her tail .i Think dogs in the field benefit from docking now but don't understand why breeds like boxers still do .I know that in some contries it is illegal too.
Diane

I'm pretty sure with Boxer the tail docking would be because they were primarily guard dogs originally....again no handle.  I've groomed one cocker without its tail docked, and that was one too many.  That dog raised welts not only all over my arms, but lashed its own sides!  There's a reason they dock those tails!!!!!  Actually there's usually a reason for either tail docking or ear cropping if you look up the breed's origins....ie original job. 

As per whether its cruel or not....I've seen too many chronic ear infections to think cropping done correctly at a young age is cruel.  Afterall, it was man who created the dropped ear in the dog to begin with through selective breeding.  Its natural for a dog to have a stand up/prick ear.   

Sorry for the ramble on ...  bear_happy   Have loads of fun with your new babies  bear_wub

nettie scotland
Website
DebbieD wrote:
nettie wrote:

Diane

I'm pretty sure with Boxer the tail docking would be because they were primarily guard dogs originally....again no handle.  I've groomed one cocker without its tail docked, and that was one too many.  That dog raised welts not only all over my arms, but lashed its own sides!  There's a reason they dock those tails!!!!!  Actually there's usually a reason for either tail docking or ear cropping if you look up the breed's origins....ie original job. 

As per whether its cruel or not....I've seen too many chronic ear infections to think cropping done correctly at a young age is cruel.  Afterall, it was man who created the dropped ear in the dog to begin with through selective breeding.  Its natural for a dog to have a stand up/prick ear.   

Sorry for the ramble on ...  bear_happy   Have loads of fun with your new babies  :love:

That is a good point.I used to have lop eared bunnies fr my daughter but stopped keeping them as they got so many ear problems.No wonder though with the poor lambs ears scraping along the ground all day.Gun dogs use their floppy ears to sweep scent up to the nose and so far mine have had no problems.Pointers don't have really long ears like bloodhounds though.I clean them every two days to stop any problems.
On another note as well as gun dog training I have stuck to the letter by the dog listener for training.I think your equivilant in the U.S. is Cesar Romano???I watched him on cable and thought his ideas were great.Excercise,discipline then affection.It has worked well with my four as they are all obedient and happy.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Sandy they are beautiful.  I hope you have lots of fun with them.  Dogs are the best aren't they  bear_wub
xo Sarah

Board footer