Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

ok - it's official - the mini's have addled my brain.  The other day I took my patterns to work to draw out a bear.  I started drawing out a bear and thought to myself - "this pattern seems huge", so I summised that I had brought my 3 inch pattern not my 2 inch pattern.  Off I trotted to the photocopier to reduce the pattern, and thought, I'll reduce it a tad more so it comes out a little bit smaller.  I cut it  out and merrily started drawing out my pattern - only to have the realisation that I had bought my smaller pattern after all.

I almost chickened out of sewing up the bear and it took me two goes to get the head right but here is Pip (short for Pipsqueak).  She has found a home with one of my collectors who loves teeny bears. She measures a tad over 1 and a quarter inches.  She looks  abit cuter in real life than she does in the photo.  I think if I made her out of a less springy fabric then she would be a bit smaller.

She's constructed just like my big bears - gusset in the head, and ultrasuede paw and foot pads.  She has a pin jointed head but is thread jointed in the limbs - and she stands by herself! now if only all my bears would do that!

pipsmall.jpgpipstand.jpg

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Melissa, this wee bear is just adorable.  No wonder it found a home so quickly.  I used to make 1 1/2 - 1/3/4 inch bears from mohair, when I didn't have wrist trouble.  I haven't made one this small in ages - the ideas are already starting to roll LOL!.

Hugs,

Brenda

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

How cute ! And very impressive ! bear_wub

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

OOOOhhhOOOOHhhhhOOOHhhMELISSA!!! she is adorable absolutely adorable!!!!!!  oohh what such alucky person to actually own her. 
What size needle do you use to sew them so small. ? I gather she is hand stitched?

Matilda bear_thumb

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

What a perfect little wee thing!!!!!!   :dance:  bear_wub  bear_smile

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

OH my, the custest thing! Soo tiny and yet still very well made.

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

She's so cute!  I really like the fabric you used with the color peeking through and to have it do that at such a small size....well done !

/bearhugs,

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My goodness . . . I am totally gollywhompered!!

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Good grief - where are my glasses? :clap:

Sandra   :redface:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

SHE IS ADORABLE!!! I wish I could make bears that tiny!!! WOW!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

MELISSA

You are officilally one of the

MOSTEST MINI MAVINS 

an absolutely prestigious clique of minimakers who give the rest of us something to strive for.

and who decides, well I do.

of course you don't get a ribbon, or win a prize, or even get much acknowledgement by the bigguns,

HA!

But any one who makes such a cute bitty baby only 1.25" tall that looks as good as this one, well that maker absolutely deserves the honorary title....along with a few others.

Whats the criteria?  ,

you have to make them better and smaller than I do....

DOUBLE HA!

That wont be hard for you talented ladies with the itchy fingers

That's just about all of you!

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

However i am taking my little work box, with silk threads and kapok stuffing and itty bitty patterns cut out  to the hospital with me.....i am hoping for a good chance to practise. 
I was going to take needlefelting, but the Hubs thought that perhaps I might miss and puncture the IV tubing or something......not a good idea!  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

So congratulations, you made a wonderful mistake and I sit in awe, until my legs well enough to stand in awe!
hugs

dillydo

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

you guys are the nicest

aww thank you guys - I'm gonna give this size another go, with a shorter fabric - I want to get the essence of "my" look into a bear this small!

Brenda - wow mohair at that size is AMAZING.  Do you have pictures of those creations?

Matilda - I am a bit weird as I have "favourite" needles that I like to use for certain things and I get upset when one breaks!  I really like John James needles and I use a mix of quilting needles squiddly little number 12 ones which are way too hard on my fingers.  So I alternate between thesm and sharps, I think a number 9 or 10.

Kim - just give it time - and don't let any "cant's" creep into your thinking - once upon a time I swore black and blue that I couldn't make a bear under 6 inches! 

Dilu - you are so sweet.  Yay - aren't minis great - everything you need fits right on a hospital bed!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_shocked Melissa,

I am just about as speechless as I ever get!! What a perfect little teeny weeny! I love love love the shaggy look.

And she STANDS? Amazing.  bear_wub

bear_laugh Dilu--No felting needles. Your Hubs is right!

Eileen

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Very nice, lovely looking little bear!!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
melissa wrote:

Kim - just give it time - and don't let any "cant's" creep into your thinking - once upon a time I swore black and blue that I couldn't make a bear under 6 inches!

Thank you for that!  :hug:

buttonbears BUTTONBEARS
Holland

Oh Melissa it is absolutely adorable, and I LOVE the colour!

Well done girl!

Marijke
Buuton Bears Holland  bear_original

Board footer