Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

tarnuf Hamilton New Zealand

bear_wub  Hi everyone. Can anyone please tell me what height bear I can make out of 1/8 piece of fur. I tried doing a search for this information but had no luck.  :hug:

Tania

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Tania,
It will depend on if you have bent arms and legs.  I can get my 9" guy out of a fat 1/8.  If you are talking about a regular 1/8 which would be 4 1/2 inches by 54 inches, I can get my 8" bear out of it.  The legs on my 9" bear are longer than 4 1/2 inches.  I usually try to get the fat 1/8th or quarter so that you have an easier time fitting your pattern onto the piece of fabric.
Good Luck,
Donna

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Tania, Depending on your pattern, you should be able to make up to a 10 inch bear or so.
Sonya

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi there Tania!  Well.... a 1/8th yard piece of fabric....  I wish there was a flat out easy answer... I know that I am always asking myself this same question!!!!   bear_wub  bear_smile I haven't used an 1/8 yard piece of fabric myself... my bears are either big enough to require at least a fat quarter... or they are small enough that I just need a 5x7 inch piece!  Hopefully someone who does "smallish" full sized bears can chime in for you.  It does depend on whether there are "fabric eating" pattern pieces like bent legs and bent arms... those tend to complicate the lay out and require more fabric than straight limbs.  Is it a "fat" 1/8th or a long strip?  If you have a fat 1/8th, and fairly straight arms and legs... I'd say a 9 or 10 inch bear?

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

Hi Tania,
Just be a little careful as it depends on whether it is a 1/8 yard or 1/8 metre.  It's easy for us 'antipodian' girls to fall into this trap.  I can get an 11 inch bear out of 1/8 metre, but only 9 or 10 inch out of 1/8 yard.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Tania I get a 10" to 11" bear out of a 1/8th of a metre. But it depends on the pattern.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Tania,

I've cut a skinny 14-incher from an eighth yard (long strip), but since the fur was very curly I didn't need to worry much about the direction of the nap--it can be changed anyway. I did watch the straight of the grain, however, to avoid cutting big pieces on the bias.

I do a 'trial' of any piece of fur by folding it in half and trying out various placements of my pattern pieces. For this reason, I usually have 2 patterns cut for body parts that I'll need 4 of--ears and legs, arms if using the fur itself for paw pads.

Eileen

Board footer