Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

ylc Y Daydream? Designs
Spotsylvania, VA

I make miniatures and usually hand sew my bears. I am making a bigger bear so decided to sew on the machine. It is shredding at the seam. I was wondering if it might be the stitch length. What stitch length is the best to sew with? Does anyone have any tips on how to stop this from happening?

Thanks
Yvette

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Dear Yvette,
  I sew by hand even with BIG mohair bears, so I am completely clueless as to stitch length... the machine and I just don't get along well at all!
It's shreading at the seam... as in right where you are stitching it?  Or it's shreading at the cut edge?  If it's the cut edge... you can use FrayCheck along the cut edges.... or a watered down solution of PVA glue and water.  And remember... your seam allowence can and should be a whole lot bigger than it is when you do your minis!!!   bear_tongue   That was something that took me a while to get used to since I come from a mini background as well!

Hope sopmeone can chime in for you as to stitch length with the machine!  :pray:

Kim Basta
Widl Thyme Originals

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Yvette...I use a machine for everything....I don't use a tiny stitch...just a medium one , but I always have a good wide seam. I never have problems...but maybe the stitch is too small?

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

You  may be sewing too near the edge..for bigger bears use 1/4" seam...

The other thing you might need to check is the  PRESSURE of your needle shaft/bar ( what the needle goes into ) ...my maching has 3 different settings for thin or thicker and medium fabrics...check your machines sewing manuel ...Winney

ylc Y Daydream? Designs
Spotsylvania, VA

Thanks for the tips. I think I used to small of a stitch length and it is cutting the fibers. It is not freying it is tearing on the inside of the seams. I am use to sewing cloth dolls on the machine and useing a small stitch so maybe I need to adjust that. I didn't even think of it when I went to sew the mohair.

Yvette

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I hand sew everything as well.... I only will use my machine for plain ole fabric... No mohair or synthetic fur ... I could have 5 bears done a week if I sewed them by machine!   bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Hmm, very good info. I usually hand sew all my bears but since I am not finding any time to do this anymore  bear_cry  I was thinking of doing my first over cast stitch by hand and then running it through the machine for the second row which I usually back stitch. My question is... I use guterman uhpolstery thread for hand sewing, can I use it in my sewing machine?
Don't mean to hijack a topic but it is related and maybe someone else wonders too  bear_smile   bear_flower

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Shari, I used to wonder the same thing.
You can use that thick thread in your machine. It takes some adjustments though. Not really worth it in my opinion. Get a few basic colors of some normal thread. It really is nice and strong, so don't worry about that.

Once you realize you can sew up a bear in 30 - 45 mins........you'll be hooked.

As for what stich I use, I use a 1.5" stitch. Don't know if it's right or not, just what I do.  bear_grin

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Guttermans upholstery thread works great in my machine. In fact Theat is all I use.
I use a "jean" needle. It has a larger hole and is stronger. Also. Jeans thread is another that works great for bears
Sonya

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thanks girls  bear_wub   bear_wub

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Yvette,

I think Jenny's right about the pressure adjustment, but it still seems strange that a small stitch would tear your fibers.

Maybe it's your needle.  Could it be damaged or too fine for heavy fabric?

Eileen

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Hi, Yvette,

I use Guetermann 100% polyester thread--the regular sewing weight, not the upholstery thread--in my machine for my bears. It flows very well through the machine. I think I use a fairly small stitch length. Do a test on the edge of some mohair to get your tension right. You don't want to be able to see the thread in the seams very well when you turn it for stuffing.

Good luck and happy machining!  bear_flower
Debora

ylc Y Daydream? Designs
Spotsylvania, VA

Thanks for all the tips - so many things I didn't think about. This is also a new machine for me so I have to figure it out too.

Shari - hijack away. The more info the better!!

If I had hand sewn this bear I probably would be finished with it all ready. LOL Instead of getting ready to throw it away!

Yvette

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Dont throw it away!!!

If you think the seams are ruined then take a 3/4" seam on the machine....with a normal tension and say shorter than normal stitch length stitch length.  Then you can trim off the stuff that was "shredding"

But you surely have a scrap so you can check your tensions and stitch lengths on that.

Todays modern machines can handle any thread!  Really- just check your ideas out by stitching on a scrap-don't be afraid of your machine!  You are Woman!  You can do this!  You are the boss!

Also don't be afraid to adjust tensions etc....Remember you are the boss.....

I keep several bobbin cases on hand one for tighter machine embroidery threads and one for regular sewing and one for the heavier threads that I need to loosen the screw on the bobbin for. You can also hand wrap fiberthreads on a bobbin for embelishing-cool!  and then you sew....but since its the bobbin you can't see whats happening until you are done.  It makes it exciting!  bear_grin

RE: Bobbin cases:

These screws strip out very easily-so once I have it adjusted for the type thread I will be using on it, I don't readjust it.  I just leave it for using that type thread. I just mark the bobbin case with nail polish so that I can keep them straight.....

Anything over 2 inches I also sew on the machine!  I'm with Erin.  But those 2" babies are more relaxing to sew by hand.....or I'm too near sighted to sew them on the  machine.... :crackup:

so try again.it'll be fine.....

bear_tongue

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Just for my 2 cents.  I hand sew almost everything even my big bears.  I feel like I can be dead on accurate..plus I like to be a couch potato and watch my 3 1/2 year old.

But like the others have already said...stitch length, tension, and thread all play a factor.

Lots of adive here!! bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Just cause I'm nosey.... what kind of a machine do you have, Yvette?

Definitely work with a scrap piece until you get this figured out.

It is indeed a wee science to figuring out the right settings, needle, thread, etc. for your machine and the mohair. But once you have it figured out be sure to WRITE DOWN the settings and thread and needle used!!!

Your tension and stitch length sound like they may play important roles, indeed. I get about 8 stitches per inch and use a 'medium' tension. No, you don't want to see the stitches when you turn the piece right side out and stuff it but at the same time, if your tension is too tight you'll have a hard time getting the pieces through under your pressor foot, risk binding up your bobbin thread, etc. Better to have a medium tension and stitches not too tiny and simply go over your seam twice. Many artists do that any way (though I'm not one of them.)

Make sure you use at least a 1/4 in. seam allowance.

I use Mastex or Gutermann 100% poly thread in my machine... the regular weight. It's less apt to break than cotton so gives a stronger seam and it's the same weight as 100% cotton threads so no machine adjustments needed.

Let us know what adjustments worked for you!!!!!!!

ylc Y Daydream? Designs
Spotsylvania, VA

More great tips everyone thanks!

My sewing machine is a Janome, Both my machines ended up breaking at the same time so while waiting for them to be fixed I got this one. It happened to be at Sears on clearance for $100.00 was 400.00. I am so not used to it. It is electronic which I have never used before. I am used to just sewing on my old machine and not worrying about tension stitch length etc.
I just want to sew not worry about all that other stuff LOL

I will play around with a scrap of fabric and see what works.

Will let you all know what happens with mr shreddy bear  bear_tongue

Yvette

Board footer