Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys. I need your help.
As I'm still making patterns from other artists I'm running into a problem. I'm having trouble getting the footpads to fit.
How do you guys sew yours on?? I try to fold the footpad in half and mark that spot. Than I pin the 2 ends of the pad to the foot. Then I start sewing, by hand from the top of the foot, all the way around.. Problem is, with my last 2 bears, the footpad seemed too big. Now on my 3rd bear, I'm thinking it's me. I can't imagine all the patterns being wrong. The only other thing to try that I can think of, is to sew not all the way around, but from side to side.
Any advice would be super!
Thanks
Heather

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I pin the pad in place first, giving me the ability to go back and readjust the positioning.
Also, try using a fine marking pen when tracing the paw pads onto the fabric, then cut on or just inside the line.
To be honest, when I first started out and was using other artist patterns I found the paw pads were often too big or too small. I have no idea why but it may not be just you!
Someone eles might have a better idea......

Daphne

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi Heather,

I pin my footpads on the top and bottom like you and then also fold in quarter and pin at those side points .. I then pin all the way round like daphne said to be able to ease it all in to fit...  If that's not working then it could well be the pattern.

Catherine

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I always do a 1/8" seam on the foot pad ....I make sure I allow this on the foot/leg part too.

To find if the foot pad fits...cut it out of muslin then fit it  into the foot hole...pin toe and heel then pin again all the curves at toe and heel...if you can't fit the rest in ( sides ) then the pad is too big. In that case I trim 1/8" off the foot pad only....try again til it fits. When you got it to fit then mark your pattern "  IT FITS !" .

I always pin then  baste the pads on...I don't use an overcast stitch...I use a running stitch and then back stitch  every so often. This way I find it dosn't tend to slip or get any wrinkles .. then I stitch it on by machine twice around .

If the pad is too small to start with to sew by machine later  then I pin as above then hand back stitch all the way around..... Winney

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I like to use the alligator clips instead of pins: top, bottom, then sides. I find the pins distort the material too much.  I baste the pawpad in place and then backstitch.  I usually sew from the top to the bottom and then again on the other side to avoid distortion as well.

Marion

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have never had this problem... luck, maybe.  I always fold my foot pads in half and draw a line in the front and back where the middle is.  I usually start in the back and sew (by hand) all the way around the foot... i have never pinned and I dont pin... the only pinning I do when I sew my bears is the ears. Maybe it is just me bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I tack each footpad in eight places. 

I start with toe and heel... then tack the halfway points on both sides.  Then, taking it even further, I tack BETWEEN the toe and midpoint... midpoint and heel... and repeat on the other side.  I end up with a total of eight tacked points on each footpad.  It's then very easy to sew by machine or hand, if that's your choosing, with a good fit that's symmetrical, and without slippage.

When the pads are large enough I might use alligator clips in the same way. 

No matter what my method, I always tack or clip at least eight points before I begin to sew.  It works for me!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Just goes to show that it is all preference.... bear_original  what works for one person doesnt always work for another.... bear_original

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks guys. I feel better. Maybe it isn't me. Maybe it really is the pattern. I don't know why they would sell a pattern that doesn't work perfectly, but a great excuse to get off my butt and create my own patterns.
I envy those of you talented enough to sew the footpads by machine. WOW!!!!
I need some of those Aligator clips Marion was talking about.
But at least now, I know that if the footpad seems to big, it probably is.
Love this place!!!
Heather

Board footer