Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Okay, so he's my mom's favorite, but I called him Oopsie because he just isn't what I expected. I had to fight him the whole way. I have to start making my own patterns because other peoples just aren't what I would do. All in good learning though.
So, I'm asking for a critique on him.
Is his body too small? I think he may be too skinny
Are his eyes too small??
Something about him is funny looking and I don't know what it is, and I was wondering if you see it too? I need to learn these things. I thought he was 'cute' untill I put him all together.
Thanks for your thoughts I can  handle brutal honesty, I promise
Heather

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I guess I should add his picture eh?? LOL
109249028-teddytalk2jpg.jpg
35550739-teddytalk1.jpg
74615395-teddytalk3.jpg
792634100-teddytalk41.jpg
Thanks for looking-Heather

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Well...I think he's adorable!!!  I like him just as he is.  bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Heather, you're clearly in need of new spectacles.  He's actually very, very, very cute -- three very's!

My only suggestions, and they are minor and stylistic ones at that, would be:

1.  Maybe make the body a bit longer, or the reduce the head a bit -- or both.  The head is maybe a smidge large for the body length.  But then, that's also a very whimsical look!  And a baby-ish one, which many bearmakers pursue intentionally.  So I'm not sure I'd call it a "fault" per se; maybe a taste or preference issue.  Heck... I just made a bear with enormously long arms and really short legs on a fat tummy.  I could see it as deformed or as an intentional foray into a new proportion -- which it was!

2.  I'm wondering, after looking at your avatar, whether the very bare face might be putting you off.  I think it's rather cute that way, but maybe you're just not used to it yet...?

All in all I think you're being way too hard on yourself with the term "ugly."  It's actually a very cute little bear!  Oh, and I want to mention that the head proportions are really lovely; you've got a very nice shape there!  Hang on to that part, for certain!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I like him too!!

My only thought... perhaps if you were to do a bit of soft scultping near his eyes, bringing them in toward the middle a bit or creating more of bridge across his nose like your avatar bear it'd give the appearance of a wee bit smaller face. But I don't do much soft scultping so that could end up having the wrong effect.

I like him just the way he is!!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

I think he is adorable too!! He is as cute as can be!

Hugs Louise

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I agree with the others, he's not ugly!!  He is cute.

My first impression though was that his head is a little too large for his body - that could be it.  You've also used smaller eyes than what I think most people would use.  That could be off putting, having said that though, I personally like the look. I use undersized eyes in my bears.

He has a cute pot belly, I like him alot!!!!!!   YOu'll bond with him soon enough!

Danni

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's great! I love him. Yes his proportions are a little out for a grown bear but hey when I look at him I see a bear cub. Like a human baby it has a large head and big eyes, these are the proportions that I have deliberately added to some of my bears to make them appear like cubs. What is the cute boy's name?
I hope you cover the poor bear's ears when you call him ugly! bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy  bear_happy

Jane

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh I like him!  I like his proportions too!  His proportions remind me of a Gilmur Rudly teddy bear! 

(and yes, try a pair of glasses... I'd bet they'd look great!)

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

He is adorable!  I expected something hideous with a title like that, far from it!!!

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Well I have to agree with the others, he's precious.  He does have that cute baby look.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Heather, I love him!! If you really can't stand him you can send him to me and I promise to give him a good home.

Marion

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I actually like this bear too! Good suggestions from everyone. The only thing I can add is what happens to me sometimes. If my leg joint is too small it gives the legs too much gap under the bum (fanny) area. Still a lovely bear, you are too hard on yourself.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You guys mean it??? Wow, I'm soo happy you guys think he's cute. And 3 very's!! Thanks Shelli.
So what I've learned,
Just because he's not my favorite, doesn't mean someone won't love him!!
Also, after reading all your wonderfull honest feedback, maybe what looks funny, is that he has a big head like a baby, but small eyes like an adult. Maybe this is what confuses me. Plus, I agree his body could be bigger.  Also maybe I could've sculpted more. I did sculpt around his eyes alot, but maybe should've gone further.

Amanda, thanks for the tip. I knew I was using joints that were too small, but i didn't have any bigger ones and I wasn't sure what would happen. Now I know, thank you.

Marion, you're too funny. Even funnier, is that I say he's ugly and I don't like him. But I couldn't imagine getting rid of him. Strange how people work!!!!

Jane, he name is Oopsie!! And I never call him ugly when he's in the room. LOL

Heather

Board footer