Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

Does anyone have a suggestion for where I might buy grosgrain ribbon in SILK?
I am finding it in rayon or polyester all over but it looks shiny & cheap to me against
natural textures like mohair & cotton. I'm not having much luck on ebay or google,
mostly just finding vintage stock in very random colors & sizes. Doesn't anyone make
it in silk anymore??

thanks for any help you might provide!  bear_wub

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I just did a web search and couldn't find it in silk....which seems odd....unless the nature of the weave, grosgrain, isn't quite possible in silk?

Good luck in your search.....let us know if you do find a source!

knuffelbear Claudia's Knuffelbaeren
Heinsberg

Did you look at Ebay?

I found 1131 items ... but sorry, I had no time to look if there is any silk

http://search.ebay.com/grosgrain-ribbon

Good luck  bear_flower

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Try Lacis in Berkeley, CA.  When it comes to textiles they have just about anything you might want, including vintage and antique items and some of THE most beautiful lace and ribbons I've ever seen in my life, and a large section of books on costuming and corsetry, with supplies to match. 

Personally, I find their website/web interface massively difficult to navigate, but you can phone them just as easily; they're very knowledgeable and helpful there, and kinda like a family!

www.lacis.com

Article about Lacis:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … =printable

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

oooo. Lacis looks like a good place to get in trouble. & yah that interface is horrid!

Dilu I am finding OLD grosgrain in silk & it coems up a whole bunch in reenactment
costumery & stuff - & lots of vintage stuff - I am just having the devils own time finding
it newly manufactured.

I think ebay might be my best bet even if I have to use vintage stuff! which I don't mind
really, except that if you run out you're mostly out of luck for getting the same exact thing
later.

thanks everyone! if I find it I'll post  bear_grin

Board footer