Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

I know we have covered this numerous times in the past but.....I am seriously looking for a new camera.  I think I would love the the Canon eos digital rebel xt and I would run right out today and buy it but I am trying to do this intellectually (which is a first for me as I am really compulsive when I want something). bear_rolleyes

This is where your advice comes in to play.  With all of your combined experiences taking pictures of your bears, what cameras do you recommend? I am looking for all of the factors you feel are important such as  white balance control and any issue that makes your particular camera stand out.

I really would appreciate as much feedback as possible before I spend more money than is necessary to get great pictures.

Thank you!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

When I bought my digital camera I wanted good crisp pics and an idiot proof means of achieving them.  I wasn't bothered about printing out large photo quality copies as I just wanted the pics for computer use.  I bought an Olympus Camedia c-350 zoom, which was pretty inexpensive, fits in my handbag and which has definitely achieved all I ask of it in terms of website use etc!

If I want posh pics for albums etc, I use my stills camera, a Canon E0S 500 which I've had for years and which I love.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I have a Kodak Easy Share 7590 - it's really easy to use and I love it.  It's 5 megapixels and 10X optical zoom, video and white balance etc.  It's not an SLR but you  can also change some ot the settings manually.  Hubby got for me as a gift and did all the research as I needed something pretty idiot proof, which it is.

hugs,

Brenda

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Hi Cindy!

I have 3 cameras right now, and each serves it's purpose.
I've got a 4 megapixel Kodak Easy Share, which is nice for snap shots, but doesn't really have a lot of functions to it.  It's idiot proof though, and fits in the purse or pocket, so it's great for travelling.

I've got an Olympus 5.1 Mega Pixel C-5060.  It's got great zoom, and a lot more features that I can control myself.   It's also got a remote control, which is especially nice when I find that I'M casting a shadow on my bear pictures.  This camera was more expensive, but takes amazing photos and will still fit in my purse.

Then there's the Nikon D100 which I love.  It has all the features I'll ever need to do professional photography, and I can change lenses for a whole  new world of pictures and techniques.  The drawbacks here are cost,  and size.  No dropping this one in the handbag.  I need the full camera bag.   The advantage is great print shots as well as digital,  functionality and I love the interchangeable lenses.

My advise would be ...don't buy any camera without buying a tripod too.   Buy  the very best camera that you can afford, and buy it from a dealer that can explain the features to you before you buy it.   
Each camera will have a different learning curve.   Take the time to learn what your camera will do, and how to use the features.  That way, you'll be happy regardless of what make or model you use. 
Keep in mind too, that you only need a gazzillion megapixels if you are printing your photographs.  The web can't see anything past 72 dpi, so you don't need a really expensive camera to take shots that will appear beautifully on the web.  Anything over 72 dpi is just overkill, and is unrecognizable by most browsers as being 'better.'  Higher resolutions just make the pictures take longer to load.

Happy shopping!
hugs,
nt

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

ArtHeart wrote:

I've got an Olympus 5.1 Mega Pixel C-5060.  It's got great zoom, and a lot more features that I can control myself.   It's also got a remote control, which is especially nice when I find that I'M casting a shadow on my bear pictures.  This camera was more expensive, but takes amazing photos and will still fit in my purse.
Happy shopping!
hugs,
nt

I've got this same camera and love it . . . especially after I finally sat down and read the instructions on how to work all the functions.  I purchased it from www.overstock.com and got a good deal.  It came with a nice camera bag, tripod, battery charger, and two picture cards.

bhbears Bearhaven Bears
Merrickville, Ontario

Hi Cindy,
I have the Canon Digital Rebel E0S, and I love it bear_wub  bear_wub Still haven't figured out how to properly use it  though, I'm used to my old Minolta SLR.  I plan on taking some courses in the fall on digital photography, so far I use this camera in auto.  It takes clean crisp photo's and it is easy to focuss.  The thing I like about it is I can get more lenses for it, and am looking to add a nice telephoto as soon as I round up some $$$$.  When I went to purchase my camera I was looking at a Manolta digital SLR and Nikon and the sales guy told me the Rebel gives you more bang for your buck, you get all the same features as the Manolta and Nikon but they where in the $2000.00 range I paid $1500.00 for my Canon however that was with my memory card and other gadgets, (cable release and lense filter).  I did try the others out in the store and this was my Fav.  I'm very happy with mine and I'm sure I'll love it even more when I figure out how to use all the features.  For me this was money well spent it was a big chunk up front but in the long run the camera pays for it self, I used to take my bears in for professional shots and boy does that add up. Oh and it is sooo easy to down load your pictures on your PC.
I'm in love with mine but I do know there are some excellent camera's out there so go try them out you may find one you like better but if you go ahead and get The Rebel I don't think you will be disappointed.  My friend has one too and she is in love with her's too.
hugs deborah

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I just got my camera for Christmas...prior to bear making I was a disposable camera person  bear_wacko
My sister is a photographer and she swears by a retailer online. We went to Best Buy/Target to look and feel and then ordered online. http://www.bhphotovideo.com.

~Chrissi
ebay, ctcatherwoods
coming summer 2006...www.CatherWoods.com

Statham, GA

Oh thank you everyone for your input!!!  One of the reasons that I was originally leaning to the Canon is that I had a Canon Rebel 35 mm and absolutely loved it and the quality of the pics and it was so easy to use.  So I was thinking of staying with that brand because I knew it was great.  I have a 5 year old Sony Cybershot and I like it but I wanted to upgrade so that I have more control on certain features such as lighting type.  But I also wanted to try to make an intelligent decision because of the $$ factor.  Usually I am an impulse person and am trying to resist that urge this time. 

Deborah...are you saying that you do not have to use a professional photographer anymore now that you have your Rebel?  That would be awesome!   Did you know that Canon has a website that offers lessons for the Digital Rebel?  Here is the website: www.photoworkshop.com.
Our marketing dept purchased Canon Digital Rebel XT models and used these lessons and said they helped them tremendously. 

Thank you all so much for your help.  Now I must go shopping and make some decisions.  :photo:

bhbears Bearhaven Bears
Merrickville, Ontario

Hi Cindy,
I just did my own shots for a magazine article that will be coming out in the fall,  It will be interesting to see how the photo's turn out. If they turn out okay I'm not going to go the professional route anymore.  I plan on setting myself up with the proper lights and all so I can do my own bear photo's.  I have had shots printed up off my memory card and they where okay, I'm still learning.  I have been disappointed in the past with the professional ones because they didn't know how to capture the soul of my bears. I know what I'm looking for but it is hard to explain to one who doesn't get bears.  I'm sure if I look around I could find a better photographer but I think with a good digital SLR and some lesson I could do an okay job. That is one of the reasons I got the camera in the first place.  I'll let you know what I think when I see how my photo's look in the mag, I just may be to ambitious in my plans and end up going back to a real photographer.  I do think if you know what your doing the Rebel will produce just as good photos as the pros.
Hugs Deborah

Statham, GA

Hi Deborah,

I just wrote you an entire message and hit a button and it disappeared.  bear_wacko  I must be getting tired.  I purchased and Digital Rebel XT tonight!!!!   :dance:  :dance:   I am so excited.  I can hardly wait to use it.    Well I am too tired to try to recreate my first message right now so I will just say let me know how your pictures turn out  and good luck with them.  Thank you for your help.   bear_grin

bhbears Bearhaven Bears
Merrickville, Ontario

YAHOO :clap:  :clap: Cindy,  I know you will be pleased as punch with the camera, But if your not You never herd of Deborah, she doesn't exist and she knows nothing about no digital Rebel doo hickey thingy bear_innocent  I'm thrilled for you and I can't wait to see what you do with it, that means we want pictures girly..... bear_grin
Hugs Deborah

Statham, GA

Deborah who?   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Board footer