Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Just got my e-mail notice from INTERCAL, and was checking out the specials and the first thing to pop up is one of Judi's bears, then on the next page, Sue Ann's 

It is really nice seeing the bears made by the talant on this web site. 

It just makes seeing the bears more interesting, sort of knowing the folks who made them.

Dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks Dilu!

If you get a chance to click on my bear in Intercal you can see the mohair up close(but I am sure you already know that!).  This mohair is some of the softest and nicest I have had the opportunity to work with.  This is the first time I have worked with English mohair.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between English and German mohair?  Or does that only refer to the location of it's origin?  hhhmmmm

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Judi.  There used to be a mill in England called Norton's that produced fur.  It closed a few years ago, but from that mill came a lot of the textures, qualities, and finishes that we have today in mohair.  Helmbold produces now some of the finishes that Norton created - so they are called "English style" mohairs. Intercal was the only supplier in the USA that carried Norton fur.  I don't know if you used the English style or the actual fur from Norton.  Intercal had some in their inventory for awhile after the mill closed, but don't know if they are out now, or not.  Hope this somewhat answers your question.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I think the German fabric back weave is tighter then the English....Winney

Dilu Posts: 8,574

When I make mini bears with the English I have to fray check everything right off- So Winney I think you are right- the English is a looser weave.

I don't have to fray check the German mohairs

I make a lot of minis into Christmas ornaments-  My own ideas but along the same lines as the Steiff ones....however since I'm making them they are much much cheaper....Just couldn't afford enough Steiff ones to do a tree this year. 

Of course mine don't have buttons in their ears either...oh well....

Dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Judi,
I agree there is a difference in the backings of English vs. German. I also think there is a difference in the shine and softness or lack of from one to another. This could just be how one processes vs. the other.
Other than that, I think it's just where the mills are. Schulte is the German mill, Helmbold the English.
Daphne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Daphne, sorry to butt in here, but Helmbold is also in Germany.  Norton was the English mill and is no longer in business.  Helmbold produces "English Style" mohair now . . . using the popular finishes that the Norton mill created.  Hugs,

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks ladies for answering my question.  Now that makes things much clearer.:D

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Has anyone also noticed the different backing with the Alpaca?  It seems to fray a bit more easy than the mohairs..

No Shelli, I'm not complaining, and I'm still going to use the Alpaca, just an observation bear_tongue

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Danni, you wacko Aussie gal, complain all you want.  You should hear me when I get going (And by the way, I didn't actually think you were "complaining."  I thought you were trying to figure out how to make bears smartly and economically.  Good on you!, as I think you Down Under folk sometimes say. I just didn't want you to rule out an entire brand name after one mediocre experience because personally, I think differences in mohair have more to do with the batch and style than the brand name per se.  But what do I know...?:D)

Anyhoos...

I'm just starting work on my first alpaca bear -- a blend; are they all blends?  I'm still learning, too -- and I love the texture.  But I'm still in the pinning stage so I've not found out yet how they hold up to fray.  Will get back to you on that, gripey-girl... bear_tongue:P:P

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hrm, Gripey Girl... no sure if I like that.. but wacko is alright, cus I guess I'm a little nuts LOL
I've only ever used alpaca mohair mix, and I love it because it's sooo soft, just noticed the backing is a lot lighter and not as tough...

I might try Helmbold again and see what happens... just to know either way bear_original  Oh and We do say good on you a lot, that can be a good thing, or a sarcastic thing to say LOL

Anyhow, thanks for the help!
Danni

Board footer