Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys, at work here trying to sew my teddies gusset by hand. It's another artists pattern and the 1st time I've tried making it.
But I need help! The gusset seems too short. Funny bec. the footpads were too big. Urrrg!!!
So my issue is, I'm at work, can't cut another gusset right now and it just seems about 1/2 " too short. Am I doing something wrong?? Is there a trick you guys know to make it fit? Or could I just sew it on, and trim the side head bits to make it fit?? Although I'm not sure how that would alter the shape of the head.
Thanks for any tips you may have. I'm not even sure if I have enough mohair to cut another one, so I'm really worried.
Happy Monday though LOL
Heather

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

If you're sure you fitted it properly from the nose to the neck and it's still a bit short then maybe you can just cut a strip of mohair and sew in on the end. It won't show anyway under the head. Or...as you said, cut the head since it's only 1/2" short. 
I have found that sometimes the head gusset doesn't fit properly in a pattern. Often I sort of measure the pieces before I sew if I'm not sure of a pattern.

Regards,
Marion

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yep, Marion's suggestion is exactly what I was going to say-Too bad about the pattern mistakes tho.....makes you wonder.

Heather maybe nows the time to cut loose and design your own artist bear :D

Dilu

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You're right Dilu. At least I would have no-one to blame but myself. Thinking maybe I'll take the course on-line. How to desgin your own teddies. That will at least give me some courage to start.
Still haven't started my gusset. I was hoping there was some magic that would fix the whole issue. bear_sad

clare14 Country Bears
England

I had this happen a few times with other patterns, it's so frustrating!!!:mad:

I make sure the gusset is LONGER than it needs to be at the neck end, then I just trim off what I don't need!!:)

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Yes..I'd  add a piece onto the back end of the gusset...another way would be to take 1/4 " more off the  seam on the 2 side head pieces at the nose...so there is your 1/2' less you need. But...I would only do this if it dosn't make the bears nose length way too short.
                                                                                       ....Winney

Board footer