Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Kathleen Pa

hi guys,
I just read tammy's post about her mohair shipment.  I've only made 2 bears out of mohair so far but I just used the mohair as it came.  I didn't wash it first!  I went back and looked through some of my bear books and it doesn't say anything about wahing it.  I've got a pattern all set to cut out, but now I'm wondering if I should wash the mohair first?  Is it just from a cleanliness standpoint  or does it change the texture of the mohair.  I hope this isn't a stupid question.  Does everyone wash it first or is it a personal choice? bear_smile 

Kathleen

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Hi Kathleen,
I know some artists wash their mohair, but I never do.  I believe it has a stabilizing backing on it that I don't want to lose.  The only time I wash the mohair is when I am dyeing it, or if I want to "fluff" up a stringy piece.  So I think it is a matter of preference.  Hope that helps.

Jane P.

Stellajella Wien

Kathleen,
first of all: hello from me to you  bear_grin
...I was wondering the same thing. I keep my mohair together with small sachets of lavender against moths, but now I wonder if this is enough... :doh:

Best regards
Gaby bear_flower

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I think it is personal preference from what I've read.  I just wash it because it makes is feel softer to me plus I like the smell better.  There was a thread about this before for more info.   I wash by hand in warm water with regular shampoo and a little conditioner.  I then dried it on the clothesline outside.  It didn't change the texture or anything that I can see. I've read that it may cause the fabric to fray easier as some of the sizing is removed.   I think some use woolite for washing also.   Now I am NOT a mohair expert so wash at your own risk  :crackup:

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=700

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=5011

Kathleen Pa

thanks !!!!! :hug:

Kathleen

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Kathleen,
I only wash, and not really washing then, when the backing is a loose weave and I want to tighten it up.  Then I throw it in a pot of boiling water and shrink down the cotton backing.  One thought is, if you are buying your mohair from one of the US suppliers you are safe to just use the fabric as it comes to you.  If you are buying mohair from ebay or an estate or something like that, I feel it is a good idea to either wash the mohair or throw it in the freezer for a week or two (washing is faster and easy).  You don't want to bring any critters into your stash.
Donna

sarahjane Brisbane

I don't wash mine...the main reason being that I am waaaay to impatient!!!  :crackup:

Kathleen Pa

thanks for all your input, I washed a little piece  and it is softer and smells good, maybe I'll try washing my next piece before I start.  As I'm pretty new to bear making I still get that nervous knot in my stomach when I make that first cut in the mohair bear_cry  but, seeing how washing that little piece worked out fine I think I"ll give it a go.  Thanks again bear_original

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I wash my mohair sometimes, sometimes not.  Depends on what the finish is I guess.  It's a personal choice really!  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer