Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Anyone here know where i can get my hands on some stretchy but strong fabric to use as a base for a wig?

Noooooooooooo - Terry has'nt decided he needs a 'syrup' - i want to make some mohair wigs for my dolls but need a fabric that i can either needle felt the mohair onto or poke through and seal on the back to stop it falling out.

I hope that this is making sense  bear_wacko

The fabric needs to be pretty thin but also strong and stretchy so that it grips the dolls head.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but if anyone is gonna know the answer - it will be one of you TT'ers

Penny  bear_thumb  bear_flower

P.S. A 'syrup' is rhyming slang for 'Syrup of Figs' = Wigs  bear_tongue

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

I don't have any experience with this, but...I wear  heavy support stockings in the operating room to prevent spider veins caused by standing up all day. They are very thick and strong, yet thin. I just tried to needle felt a little wool in it and it seems to hold up?!?
I got them at a local pharmacy, they are called anti-embolism  bear_original support stockings.
I'm sure someone will suggest a "tried and true" method for material....just thought it might work!
  JeannieB

nettie scotland
Website

I have a memory of seeing stuff like that mentioned in a fred aldous catalogue.They are helpul if you e-mail them.
http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/
Also crofts mill has some weird fabrics too.
Good luck with that.Is it like when you go to the doctor and ask advice about something your friend has???Is the wig really for you????

WOOO HOOOOOO! What a fab idea JeannieB.

I NEVER thought i would be excited by support stockings but they sound as if they may just be what i'm looking for. I presume they come in different colours too which is a bonus.

They would have a good firm grip on the dolls heads too would'nt they?

Whooopeeeeeee..............tomorrow i'm off in search of support stockings

THANKS JEANNIEB  :hug:  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_wub

Penny  :dance:

nettie wrote:

Is it like when you go to the doctor and ask advice about something your friend has???Is the wig really for you????

har har har miss smarty pants   bear_shocked

cheeky moo  :crackup:

I've got quite enough hair thank you very much.................just wish it was'nt all on me top lip
bear_whistle

Baldy Pen  :P

THANKS FOR THE LINK DIANE!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Good idea about the support stockings. If you have a pound shop near you they do them in there. In fact I've one that I had for my arm but its too tight, I could always post that to you Penny if its any good.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Pen,

I've got a nice doll wig salvaged long ago from the ruins when my daughter smashed her Laughing Jumeau. If you can use it, it's yours. The hair is 10-12 inches long, and the liner is stiffend bucram (or something), about 2.5 inches in diameter. The color is a bit darker than the darker pic, and streaked.

It's yours if you can use it--gimme a hallooo

Wig1.jpg
wig3.jpg

Stellajella Wien

Hi PenPen,
I dunno what material you make your dolls of, but I know, that some people in krautish countries produce them from stretchy fabric with skin colour.
I checked with a store that selsl all sort of things for all sort of hobbies, they have it. You can ( or cannot ) see it here: http://www.vbs-hobbywelt.de/basteln/cat … tstoff.htm

Have a smashing sundea  :crackup:

Gaby bear_flower

Amanda wrote:

Good idea about the support stockings. If you have a pound shop near you they do them in there. In fact I've one that I had for my arm but its too tight, I could always post that to you Penny if its any good.

That's really good of you Mand but i have to go shopping tomorrow anyway and i can take opportunity to have a good look at the colours/thickness before deciding, i really need them to match the colour of the mohair that i have.
You are a lovely girl for offering Thank You  (I may pick up a pair for me to wear but shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone)
:hug:  bear_wub  bear_tongue

Pen,

I've got a nice doll wig salvaged long ago from the ruins when my daughter smashed her Laughing Jumeau. If you can use it, it's yours. The hair is 10-12 inches long, and the liner is stiffend bucram (or something), about 2.5 inches in diameter. The color is a bit darker than the darker pic, and streaked.

It's yours if you can use it--gimme a hallooo

Thank you Eileen but my dolls have huge heads, about 9"-10" diameter in all so it would just sit on the very top i'm afraid. I do appreciate you very very kind and generous offer Eileen..............sending you good vibes darlin
:hug:  bear_wub  bear_thumb

(She smashed her laughing Jumeau? goodness gracious me Eileen! Was she broken hearted?)

Hi PenPen,
I dunno what material you make your dolls of, but I know, that some people in krautish countries produce them from stretchy fabric with skin colour

Thanks Gaby but i'm not making the dolls (yet, but i am working on patterns) they are Asian Ball Joint Dolls and are bald so you have to either buy or make the wigs and i want to make wigs that suit them rather than pay huge amouts of cash for wigs that i don't really like.
Thanks for the link though i will check it out  bear_thumb  bear_wub

Penny  :hug:

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Hi Penny. I have some not expensive wigs to sell if you want. I bought them in my dollmaking days. Let me know if you would eventually be interested. I also have many mohairs in multiple shades at 4 $ each. happy days bear_original

Board footer