Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Thank you all for your kind comments! 

Celena, your bear looks classic to me!  Will you have time to develop your classic design for the challenge?  bear_thumb

Julia, good to see your lovely bear in here too!  I am very impressed with the ageing techniques ... I am terrified of doing anything like that!!  :crackup:

I'm hoping to fit in another classic bear for the challenge.  Making Dilly Dilly has reminded me of the charm of simple design!  I have just purchased some fabric which will work beautifully for a traditional bear, so I shall make another one and create a different design.

Celena Oxford

Thanks Julia for your nice compliment.  I really like your aged bear  bear_wub , I haven't try ageing techniques yet on any of my bears...worry about over ageing it, and it might probably fall apart  :crackup:

Paula, thanks for confirming the "classic" look..I was a bit confused over how a classic bear should look like...I have the book by Pauline about teddy bears over the years....so many type of design, short limbs, large head...British style bear and so many...so as usual I became confused! hee hee...Thanks for clearing that up...oh yes, I am hoping to join in the challenge...and with my confusion cleared up...will try to squeeze one out before my 2 weeks vacation hee hee... bear_original

BevsHuggables Bev's Huggables Plus
Leland, NC

Here is Annie. I made her awhile ago.Annie-signed.JPG

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

RUPERT1b.JPGrupert017a.JPGI hope you like Rupert.I have just finished him and he is 15 inches high and the first that I have done in this size.He is for sale so if you are interested please contact me.
Laurie :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, these classic bears are ALL just terrific.  Julia, yours wins a special place in my heart for a particularly cute raggedy nose. 

Paula, thanks again for the challenge idea.

BevsHuggables Bev's Huggables Plus
Leland, NC

Sorry Ladies, I don't know why, but Annie's picture is so big on here. In the gallary she isn't though. She is about 13".  :redface:  :hug: Bev

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA
Shelli wrote:

cute raggedy nose.

Shelli, thanks! I have to say that was the easiest nose I ever embroiderd!!!!  :crackup:
It took nly 3 or 4 stitches.. bear_laugh

Hugs, Julia

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Here is my attempt at a classic bear, I hope you like him. He is around 18 inches tall, his name is Benjamin.

One.jpgtwo.jpg

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower

Kent
Website

He's lovely Jane!  A really solid, dependable type of character!

Laurie, your bear looks so dignified!  A very handsome chap.

Bev, your Annie is such a sweetie!

I've just taken another look at our gallery ... don't they all look wonderful together!  Each bear in there has a clear identity, so it goes to show that traditional teddies can have just as much individuality as their more contemporary brothers!  :clap:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Mickeysideviewclassicchallenge.jpgMickeyclassicchallenge.jpgWell I did it!!! :dance: I made my version of a traditional Teddy. Her name is 'Mouse'  She is 3 inches sitting.  Made out of a felted mohair in a traditional 'teddy gold' colour. Replica boot button eyes. She has patterned pawpads. In some antique tweedy type of pattern. Embroidered nose, Cotter pin jointed. Cotton and steelshot for the filling.
I love her, I'm going to make another one.  bear_grin But with all the trimmings. (big grin)
I'm just hoping that I did this one correctly.
Oh yeah! I didnt trim this one at all. Usually I would have trimmed off some of that excess spikey bits of mohair.
You know , tidied her up . MMMmmm I wasnt sure if I was allowed to.
Wendy bear_grin

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

TT1.jpgTT3.jpgHere's my latest "classic" ted.  I tried to really emulate the old Steiff look and was really pleased with him.  Paula, this was a great idea.

hugs,

Brenda

Kent
Website

Great work ladies! 

Brenda, you have definitely captured the look you wanted!  A very dignified bear.

Wendy, what a little cutie!  To trim or not to trim, that was your question and the answer?  Your choice!!  Of course you can trim if you want to ... scissor trimming is definitely a traditional technique!  I like the fuzzy bits though ... makes her look well loved!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Channing4.jpgChanning3.jpgFINALLY got mine finished today.  This is Channing and it was totally weird making this bear.  I have a couple of Pauline Cockrill books and studied them to come up with my classic creation.  The reason it was so strange is because I never make a bear with the gusset going back . . . all my bears have bangs - but obviously old bruins didn't.  I also didn't wax its nose, so to me this isn't a true representation of a Past Time Bear.  But, hey, this is supposed to look like the old guys, so it's okay.  I did find some interesting trivia in one of Pauline's books.  My bear has a center seam and Pauline describes one of her pictures as, "The central seam indicates that this bear's head was the seventh to be cut from one length of mohair plush; the other six would have been cut in one piece".

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Sue Ann your bear is so charming !  I just love him to bits. 

100_1420.jpg 100_1427.jpg

I finally just posted my bear to the gallery.  I have since added shading and such as he looked too plain for me.  I'll get a picture of him the way he looks shaded for comparison.   I think his head is a bit too big, but I had a great time creating something totally different than usual for me.

Thanks for starting the challenge Paula !  I'm not sure if my creation is considered classic or not. I have a book of traditional teds and tried to follow that.   I am still experimenting with mohair to get the look I want.  It is so different than real fur, but so fun !  I think I may just be making more of these old style bears with humps etc.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

dance: At Long Last--My Classic Challenge Bear!!

(I posted the first version of this in the wrong place :doh: )

I've just uploaded a piccie of "Barley" into the challenge gallery. Here's another (I couldn't decide)  :redface: 

Barley is my homage to the Steiff Baerle 35 PAB. This was one of Richard Steiff's two new designs in 1905, with a sharper, foxier clipped muzzle and a gutta percha nose, and (according to Christie's) the first disk joints.

I used Fimo for the nose, and added a tail and a growler. I also used a center seam for the first time, huzza!

Barley is made of Intercal's 325S/CM in Old Tan.

I intended to make him all sad and droopy looking, but he just wouldn't stop smiling!   :)

BJames2DSCN0357.jpg

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

After looking at all your wonderful bears, I think that mine (even though I have used a felted mohair) is maybe too modern looking. I think I shall give this another go.
I'll redo the head and body and make him a little larger I think.
As has been stated by many before me..... thanks for the challenge Paula.  It is quite easy to lose touch with the basic 'Teddy Bear' making skills.
Wendy bear_thumb

Kent
Website

Ooh new pics!  This is very exciting!!  Sue Ann, I commented on your wonderful bear in the 'for sale' section ... he's a handsome chap!  I think I could easily pick him as one of your bears, even though you've stayed true to the challenge spec!  He's the kind of bear I fall in love with easily!!

Tammy, a real cutie ... he looks traditional to me and it's great to hear you've been doing your research.  Fabric selection is definitely a key part to making the traditional designs work.  Have fun with that mohair and I look forward to seeing more of your traditional humped bears.

Eileen, you're really embracing this challenge!  A magnificent entrant!  Congratulations on achieving this look, I can see how hard you've worked to pull it together.  I love that he has a happy smiley face - that's definitely where your personality shines through the traditional design!!

Wendy, so glad you're enjoying the challenge and that is has inspired you to develop your design further.  It's great to see how everyone is really concentrating on developing new skills and honing existing skills!  All the bears look terrific together in the gallery!

I'm still waiting for my fabric to arrive in the post, but can't wait to get started on another one!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks Paula, for organizing this challenge! :hug:

The bears are all so beautiful and so different--I love the traditional look. bear_wub

I am hopelessly hooked. Hopefully hooked, actually.

I found this pic of 4 Steiffs dating 1903-1906 on the Teddy Bear Museum website. Barley's original is the small one on the left. For me this says it all. . .

Steiff1903-6.TBMuseum.jpg

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

This has been so fun watching everyone challenge come together.  I FINALLY cut mine out tonight and hope to get him sewn up in the next day or so.   bear_thumb

Keep 'em coming!!!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

171256784.jpg
171256786.jpg This is Rupert, I havent had to change my design as I usually lean towards the traditional design.... this has been great to see everyone's designs....

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Rupert is a total cutie, Patsy--love the tummy bear_wub

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney
Densteds Densteds
Website

All the bears are wonderful, and all so different, great work girls!
finally got my fellow finished so here's my contribution..Timothy James
Timothy1.jpg

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Fantabulous bears, all of you!

Congrats!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I finally finished!!!   Let me introduce you to OOPA!!! meaning JOY.  Oopa is a greek expression often used when dancing.  I was dancing for joy when I completed this little bear...so OOPA!!!

000_1010a.jpg

Little OOPA is about 12 inches tall and has not only a center seamed head...but also a wee little hump on his back.  OOPA!!!

000_1013a.jpg

He's made from wonderful 785H in mink.  I love this color...so rich looking and incredibly soft feeling.   OOPA!!!

I followed all the rules  bear_shocked and did no shading...HOWEVER, I may be forced to do some around his eyes before I list him for sale.  I also need to decided on some kind of accessory for him but it will be simple and sweet...just like all my dumplings.  I will redo his photos...it was just no overcast here and I couldn't get any decent photos but was to eager to post him.  I just get so excited when I finish a bear...I'm worse than a kid at Christmas.

Thanks for the great challenge Paula....it was fun.  I completely enjoyed it but now I need to buy a new eraser  bear_whistle  bear_whistle

Board footer