Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys, you might remember me posting something about a pattern I was working on, where the gusset was too short. No matter how I played with it, it just wasn't long enough. So I took some advice off here and added a bit on the end. Worked great when I sewed one side of the head, used up the bit I added on and all was good.
So I get to sewing the other side, by hand of course. I didnt pin or baste, because I figured I had played around enough with the other side. So here I am sewing and sewing away, starting at the nose. Then I get to the back of the head, not much more left to sew and I realize that I won't need the extra bit of gusset I had added on before. WHAT?????? How does that work.
So I ripped out the stiching, wishing I hadn't now so I could see what I'd done. But I ripped it out and for the life of me I can't make it fit again. I'm soo confused. I have never had trouble fitting a gusset before. I guess the pattern wasn't wrong, it's just me!
Here's what the instructions say, and I dont understand this
    -"Any ease of the gusset should be on the top, rounded part of the head." WHAT???

So after playing with this thing for well over an hour, I've decided to come to you guys, here are some pictures I have taken, so you can see what I'm talking about.

pieces.jpg

and here is the side I've sewn that has used the extra bit of gusset

side.jpg

and now the front of the part I've sewn

front.jpg

Soo sorry for the long post. I just feel I'm going crazy. My boyfriend said maybe I should take some time off teddy making. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!    LOL

Thanks   -    Heather

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I have had this happen too.

I follow the same method as Sarah with pinning from the eye back, to make sure they are even on both sides of the head and ensure that it will fit,  the fabric may also have some give as well.

An ideal way of getting your patterns to fit is to use paper version of them and double check they fit before committing them to fabric. I find this works best for me.

Hope this helps and don't give up.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I thought I'd pop on here one more time before going nighty night. ;)

I found it helpful to tack the gusset center at the nose to the center seam of the head pieces...then I tack the back of the gusset on each side...and then I tack at the bridge of the nose.  I also carefully pin...try using Laura Lynn's basting technique with the stapling...I haven't tried it yet because I've been doing tiny bears but it definitely looks like something I'll use on bigger bears...certainly easier to take out the staples then the seams.

Good Luck...you know you have to show a picture of the finished bear...don't forget.  :):)

Good night...

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Heather you are not alone ! That happen to me too ! :(
I too follow same as Sarah and  I make paper towels pattern too. I  create paper bear  before I move on to mohair. (only for new pattern)
It's extra work but worth it . bear_original

Sarah, please post a photo of the bear when you finish ! I think you managed very well for adding extra fabric for the gusset. good luck :D
Bear Hugs/ Marie

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Heather.

So sorry you are having trouble! bear_ermm  When I'm sewing my heads... I baste first.  And for heads I usually baste the old fashioned way with needle and thread :).  First I tack the center of the nose gusset to the center of the seam where the side pieces are sewn together. 

Then... I slowly first use my alligator clips to "pin" the head... starting at the nose and working back.. but the trick is to NOT do one whole side first!  I do a little on the left side... then do that same amount on the right side.  Keep going back and forth to be sure you are keeping them even.

Now... after it is all clipped and is even... now I go and whip stitch it to baste.... then I hand sew the nose part of the gusset ... to just a little above the eye area.   I"ll hand sew this twice... once from the left, and then from the right)  And then I'll machine sew the rest.

HTH!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Sometimes Heather the guys are right :lol::lol::lol:

But not from all bear making.  Were I in your position I would take a day off....that's time isn't it? :rolleyes:

I know from many many years of all kinds of sewing it is very very frustrating to think you have made an error but the only error was in thinking you had made it.  :/

My worst came two days before a wedding and I hadn't finished the dress.  I took the rest of the day off- read a book, took a walk, went swimming ate a real meal. The next morning the whole thing went together great. 

Ahhh  sometimes our little brains need a break.  Well OK my little brain needs a break.

So here's a little bit of advice I used to offer nurses before they took their state boards.  Think of the dumbest truly idiotic nurse you know, and then remember she passed her boards.  If she can you can.

Now nurses are vastly different than bear artists.  There is a lot more dumb nurses than bear makers.  And maybe it wont be easy to come up with a dumb bear artist.  but my point is IF WE CAN DO IT YOU CAN DO IT!] and we have CONFIDENCE IN YOU!!!

Bearyhugs and slobberygolly kisses.....

And Shantell is right pics

Dilu

PS  Heather ,as the resident psych nurse, will you take my word for it, you aren't really going crazy......

YET

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu wrote:

Think of the dumbest truly idiotic nurse you know, and then remember she passed her boards.  If she can you can.

Dilu, this is very comforting.  (Not.)  I will keep it in mind the next time I, or someone I love, become gravely ill.

Laughing here... bear_tongue

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Ahhh, great tips guys, thank you.
I went to bed after posting this, so I'm at it again with a fresh head. ( you are right Dilu!)
I'm going to rip the one side out and try again. I never thought of starting at the eyes and working my way down. Plus I always have done one whole side 1st. I guess that's not the best way eh?? LOL
Plus, if nothing else, I feel soooooo much better that I'm not the only one that this has happened to.
I'm going to try again, and I promise to post a pic when i finished the teddy.
Thanks again for the advice. I hate to have to throw the head out the window :lol:
Heather

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sarah, no offence at all. THe 1st thing I checked was to make sure both sides of the head were even. So great advice, thank you

Yeaaaaa  Heather

That's our girl!

Shelli

here's the secret I don't tell the nurses about to take their boards......

The ones who pass their boards but are really really dumb don't usually stick with it because

just because one tests well doesn't mean that one can cut it through the work, the stress, the human tragedy, and they usually end up working for insurrance companies reviewing cases and denying claims
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You think I'm joking?

I only wish I were

Be proactive and never leave some one you really love at the mercies of the medical world alone.....

Dilu ever so serious

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I think just about every bear maker has done that" gusset nightmare" think...Don't worry if it has  slowed you down or frustrated you ...its part of learning to make bears.

I do it just like Laura Lynn...uh...that's what I eventually worked out AFTER all the frustration.
Don't skip any steps when fitting stuff together..make MORE steps for yourself if you need to....It may seem like it takes longer, but the point here is actually its takes less time if you count the rip outs.LOL.
Also.... if feels nice and confident knowing(planning ) ahead of time the parts are going to fit !
So.... fit and pin, fit and pin... then baste.... then hand stitch where you need to insure even seams..... then you can machine sew the rest of the parts. Take your time and keep working towards the wonderful bear you will have in the end..you can do it ! ...Winney

Board footer