Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

... to all of you with little (or big) ones, whether they be human, canine, feline, or ursine. :):):):):)
IMG_192.jpgIMG_192.jpgIMG_192.jpgIMG_192.jpgIMG_192.jpg

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Very cool, Shelli, and thanks.  I have two grown daughters, one son-in-law, five cats, five grandkitties and one granddog.  I feel very fortunate!!  Of course, I do have a few bears, also . . . . :lol:

And a great Mom's Day backatcha!

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Happy Mom's Day to you Shelli, and to every mom here, bruin's or others'.  I think that would probably include all the ladies; sorry gents, your day will come.;)

So, yeah!  Hi, Shelli, Hi Loretta.  Laura Lynn, we met briefly online, I have had your link on my site almost from the beginning.  Nice to observe your chats.  Looking forward to getting acquainted with all Y'all. 

What a wonderful place this is!  There is such a feeling of love and support and fun.  I want to play too!  bear_laugh  Oh my gosh, the way you all talk, I believe we bearmakers must be genetic throwbacks.  I'll bet our roots are entwined somewhere way back down the generations.  Seems like we all share the same distractions and challenges.  I thought I was the only one that had such a problem staying focused, with life and computers getting more attention than is conducive to ideal bearmaking practices.

What a challenge it was for me trying to get myself into this forum.  First I "had" to read all of the posts (tho I might have missed a few, and surely have forgotten many), then I had to figure out how to make all the profile stuff work, quite a feat for a nontechie such as myself!  In between all that, there was life, yaknowhatimean?:lol:  Believe me when I tell you I started yesterday morning (Friday, or maybe Thurs. night) and now it is 11:40 Pee Em tonight (Sat.)  But I'm in!!!:lol::lol::lol::P:P:cool:

Of a surety, I will be wanting to enlist the fine services of "our" Shelli for her (now I know the meaning of that word) avatar expertise.

I'm sure I will have plenty of questions to ply you with, and plenty of advice to offer.  I can think of a few things, but I think I should probably restrain myself here and address them in the appropriate threads (another new-use term for me).

One thing I will say here that I could say elsewhere, is: Dale, You are really somethin'!  You chime in with the most unique ideas and solutions.  You amaze me in the nicest way!  You are a great asset to this forum. :)

Oh, look! It's tomorrow already!!  G'night!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Laure, Laure, LAURE!!!  Welcome to you.  I'm so happy to see you here.  Let me introduce you.

Laure -- this is everyone.  Everyone, this is Laure.

Might I add, just for the record, that in this girl's opinion, Laure makes some of the most "artistic," beautifully finished, original, folksy-but-also-contemporary, wonderful little (and big) bruins around?  Her table offerings in Nevada City blew me away.  Wonderful stuff!

Can't wait to hear anything and everything you have to share.  Can I ask a question already?  I'm currently making a (hopefully) clown bear and want to know how to make a pointy cone felt hat for it; my dream is that it will have a cool scalloped trim.  The dream is in my head, but the expertise in doing this is not. 

You seem to have a lot of felt expertise; I remember those little folded-loop collars on two or three of your pieces in NC.  Any hints on how to create my dream dunce cap?

Thanks in advance and WELCOME AGAIN!!!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi to all of you and have a great day on Mother's day. In England we had Mother's day a while back so no special day for us today. I had a wonderful day on our Mother's day and  had lots of wonderful gifts, including some more mohair to add to my huge stash.   What special things are happening for all you all today?

Jane                          http://www.doodlebears.co.uk

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Good Grief, girl! You are a fast typist!  While I was writing a 2-line response to the fashion doll picture deficit, YOU wrote a whole page.  The  hats, uh, I have been saving some heavy cardboard cones about 6-8 in. tall that once had knitting thread on them for years, thinking one day I will cover them with fabric for clown hats.  Do you have any of those?  Ok, another possibility is, depending on the size you want to make, You could use heavy paper, like good quality watercolor paper.  Cut out a circle with a radius (half the width, but you knew that) that is the same length as you want the finished hat to be.  Cut from the outer edge into the center of the circle and overlap the cut edges to approximate the shape you would like for the hat.  Cut off the excess, leaving enough to overlap and glue.  Cover with fabric or paint, or whatever. 

I have been thinking about this other material that I read about in the recent issue of "Soft Dolls" magazine.  Just a sec, I'll go get it and look up the name, it seem's like very cool stuff..... Timex interfacing stabilizer; doesn't that sound exotic??  They use it to make something I wasn't going to tell anyone about until I came out with some, but...in the spirit of all things teddy, let me gift you with their idea, which I think is so great..  they make "Artist Trading Cards" by sandwiching this stiff material ( that you can sew through) between 2 pieces of fabric and then embellishing with bits and pieces of trims, threads, bric-a-brac, shiny stuff, paints, netting, on and on...  they have placed an image (printed on fabric w/ a pc!) on the center of each one to start out and added the other stuff around.  They look sooo cool!  I was thinking they could be adapted to making fancy hang tags, but back to the subject, maybe the base material could be used for clown hats or other 3-d objects. 

Does anyone know how to print a picture on fabric with a pc?  Another thing they mentioned is transferring a magazine picture to fabric, how about that one, those clever cloth doll makers!  If I don't get answers about these tricks, I will try to contact them through the magazine to find out how.

You've got me up so late, I'll be walking into church in the middle of the sermon...that's OK, they have to love me anyway, that's the rules!!

G'nite for the last and final time tonight (this morning?)

Listing Service Listing Service
My Mother
Shop

You need to get the image into the PC, then just print with an inkjet on printable fabric.

This link will get you a good start on your quest for more information and supply sources:

http://www.google.com/search?q=printable+fabric+inkjet

Dale

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

Ditto on what Shelli said!MY_THREE_ANGELS2.jpgMY_THREE_ANGELS.jpg

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Happy Mother's Day back to all of you! I agree with Laure..this is truly a wonderful place. I also agree that we all must have a common thread running through us that brings us all together with much love and understanding and a willingness to be there for each other. I am so happy to be part of this group.

Have a wonderful day.

P.S. Judi...love the family pics!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Judi, your kids are like very-subtly-altered carbon copies of you.  You all have beautiful, sweet faces.  Thanks for sharing...

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

What a VERY warm group of bear huggers we are . . . and so giving and helpful - as I always suspected and knew bear people would be.  A big welcome to our "family", Laure . . . you and your bears are really nice-looking!  Also, Judi . . . thanks for sharing your pics with us - a very lovely family!  bear_laugh bear_laugh

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Oh Happy Mom's Day to all of you ! Lovely photos , flowers and greetings..what a loving group .
HI there Laura ! LOve that photo of you and your bear...it looks so naturally like you !....Winey

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh what warm beautiful people on this web.  Judi your real babies are just precious- beautiful!
Thank you all for your sharing and generosity.  You are simply wonderful folks, each and every one!
And Happy Mom's day to you all.

Dilu

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Ha, Ha!  Winney, my daughter took the picture of that little bear, 'Shine' and me.  I was surprised at how natural looking it came out, but actually I was leaning very carefully on my teetery ironing board, draped with a piece of upholstery fabric!  the camera doesn't lie, but sometimes we can fool it!:D

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Belated Happy Mothers Day to all from the Great White North,

As Shelli says, ditto to mommies of multi-species families and of bears.

I wonder if Dale would agree to be our site-mother, as in James Bond's 'Mother'?

I can see where Judi's bears get their sweet little faces.  What inspiration . . .

Welcome Laure, your bears are gorgeous. Really nice website, though I don't believe for a minute that you're a grandmother, much less a great-grandmother . . . . unless you were a child bride?

Otherwise, just eatin' my chocs, sniffin' my flowers, cruisin' the web and messing with my bear stuff, and hearin' somebody else cook dinner. Bliss.

Eileen

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Eileen,
Uuh, something like a child bride, sorta.:|  My first child (of 6) was born when I was 18.  Some of my daughters followed in Mom's footsteps, more or less, and that made me a grandma at 35.  The tradition has continued, and thus I am a grandma x9 and a great grandma x3.  There came a point when I discovered that God loves me and I didn't have to keep looking for a warped version of love in all the wrong places.  Now, I can pray for the next generations to have the same discovery.  Meantime, I have many blessings to count.:D

So glad you like my bears and website.  I have a story to tell you all about my site and need your input, but I'm going to start a new thread for it.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Laure, so glad your story has happy places in it.  Hugs,  Sue Ann

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Very happy places, I'd say! bear_laugh  Six!! Lucky you.

I had the last of my three at 40. Let's just say that Mr. Right took his time showing up.

I feel very blessed to have 2 of mine still living at home, along with a son-in-law who couldn't bed better if I'd designed him myself, and my third about 20 minutes away by streetcar. 

So we've got 3 households worth of stuff here, plus a total of 17 assorted critters, most of whom shed like mad. I won't be ready for an empty nest anytime soon.

Eileen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Eileen wrote:

a son-in-law who couldn't bed better if I'd designed him myself

Wow, Eileen... sounds like your family is REALLY close! :P:P:P:D:D:D:P:P:P

PS  I KNOW it's a typo!  I just couldn't help myself!  When something like that falls right into my lap, it's just too hard to turn away...  <giggles>

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Uhhhh . . . Where do I hide?

Eileen

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Shelli,

You are so dang bold!!  Somehow you seem to get away with it, though.  You are a crack-up!:lol::lol::lol:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

See that innocent look in her bear's eyes? bear_rolleyes QED

Eileen

Board footer