Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I have designed a few of my own bears and one of the problems that I always have is the footpad.  I have been very very lucky that I have no special formula for the right size footpad but they have always seemed to fit.:D

However I would like to have a formula so that I can always get  the right size.  Is there a special way of doing this. 

I also want to make a bear with BIG feet and can't even imagine how to go about getting the footpad the right size.

Help! Please!

Bear Hugs

Jane

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I have no idea whether there is a formula but I use the ol' "cut a piece of string to fit" method, which works well for me.

Begin with your leg pattern piece.

Cut a piece of string -- I use crochet thread, which is about 1mm thick, because it's easy to work with -- to match the length of the bottom edge of your leg pattern piece.  That piece of cut thread will be equal to HALF of your footpad outline.

From here, it kinda depends on whether you want your footpad to be perfectly symmetrical all the way around (easiest), or whether you want to make it wider at the top, or curved at the insole, etc.  But whichever you choose, in the end, all you've gotta do is make sure that the footpad you draw has an outline equal to twice the length of your thread. 

You could, I suppose, also just DOUBLE the length of the thread you cut, after you measure against the bottom of the leg pattern piece.  However, I find it easier to work with half.

When I'm making a SYMMETRICAL footpad (like an oval shape, or a football shape, or a rounded-edge-rectangular shape), I:

1)  Measure and cut a piece of thread to match the bottom edge of the leg pattern piece
2)  Take a piece of paper and fold it in half
3)  Lay that cut thread in an arc on my folded paper, with its ends touching the fold line.
4)  Carefully trace around the thread edge
5)  Cut thru the double thicknesses of paper while the paper is still folded
6)  Open the footpad
7)  Admire my handiwork... or adjust and retrace if it's too skinny/pointy/fat/circular/whatever.

To make a symmetrical footpad even more symmetrical, you can fold the paper instead into FOURTHS.  In that case, you have to cut your thread IN HALF first, to get the right measurement.  This is more complicated to explain in words and without illustration but mathematically it's the same idea.  You'll get precise symmetry across all four "corners" of your footpad using this method, but if you can't figure out what I'm saying, try the method above first... and then I think it will become very clear.

Enjoy!

BethBear Posts: 27

I find that the easiest way to design foot pads of various sizes and shapes is to first draw the leg pattern.  Take some fine but firm wire (you can get small rolls of wire at the hardware, just make sure it is easily bent but will hold shapes) and cut a length of it equal to double the length of the foot pad + 1/2".  Fold the wire in half and join it, using quarter inch tails.  You should not be able to bend the wore oval into the shape you want.  This works well, especially for large pads that you may want narrow at the heel and very wide at the toe.  Trace around the shape on your pattern paper.  Take up the wire and adjust the edges.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

my oh my...how clever are the two of you...and I just did the whole cut, fit, cut, refit...adjust...snip, nip, tuck...you get the picture.  bear_laugh

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I was also wondering that, although looks like I guessed right.
Thanks for asking that question Shantell.
Heather

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

Thanks for the tips.  I knew I would get some great advice.  Both sound great and even better - they sound easy.:D

Thanks

Jane

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Betwen Shelli and Beth we should be able to design just about any shape...Winney

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Hi Jane....

You might want to check out this thread I started on Edinburgh's site.
I too, wanted to make big feet and there were quite a few wonderful ideas sent to me.

So make a tall glass of iced tea and sit back and enjoy! :D

Nanc.......

http://www.edinburghimports.com/CLASSRO … .php?t=458

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

Thanks for the link.  That was very interesting reading.  I think I will try the gusset that sounds like an excellent way to get the BIG feet I really want.

Thanks you so much.

Jane

Willamette Valley Oregon

Nancy...thanks for the link but can someone send the photos that were discussed in the discussion thread...call me dense but I do better with pictures...perhaps I just don't follow directions well...:):)

Shantell

Willamette Valley Oregon

PS.  Nancy, I may have to adopt one of those puppies of yours...way cute!!!

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Shantell...I don't remember any photos actually being posted.  I think one of the ladies sent pictures around to those who wanted a better idea of it.

Thank you for your comment on the pups.  My maltese never met reserve...bummer!  I don't think that maltese bring the money that the yorkies do...but such a beautiful breed!
Hugs,
Nanc.....

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Shelli, thank you for clever  information !! :D

and thank you for BethBear, I will try to use both way and create new footpads♪

Nancy, your maltese is cute cute cute and I love your avatar!

Hugs/Marie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You're welcome.  And actually, that wire idea sounds like a really good one, which I think I might try next design go-round myself.  Thanks to Beth for sharing.

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Hi Shelli. I do the same thing, but i also add 0,5 cm of seems all around. Maybe i doing wrong?

BethBear Posts: 27

You are all very welcome and thanks for the thanks!  Actually I read that tip somewhere but it has really helped because I like to change the foot pad shapes.

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Oh, just found this topic!!  thank you for advise. I'm surely going to use it.

Hugs
Julia

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

I too use the wire to create my footpads and it is so quick and also easy to alter the shape - have fun :)

Hugs,
Catherine

Board footer