Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

I know you all get the same thing. Working with these tiny needles, sometimes the back end goes right through the flesh and leaves a hole. For some reason that needle KEEPS finding that same hole and before long my finger looks and feels like hamburger.
I found a quick way to fix it!
I put a tiny drop of super-glue on my finger and let it dry. It seals the hole (doctors use it to close up, right?). It also makes an instant little callous there so I can keep on sewing. Now my finger can heal up and the glue just peels off in a day or 2.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Gosh, that's one way of fixing it.  I'd probably stick my fingers together and have a bigger problem.  By the way Stephanie, my first "Sassy's" order arrived today, and it is just brilliant - many thanks for your wonderful service.   I will be back.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Steph... I've done that as well!!!!  And it works brillantly!   bear_grin  I did ask my doctor whether "off the shelf" super glue was okay to put on a superficial skin wound and he said that so long as it is just through the first couple of skin layers that it is no problem at all.  Wounds to the fingers are so likely to get infected, since out fingers are so apt to come in contact with all sorts of yucky bacteria (ick!  bear_tongue ) so he said that if I want to do that to swab the area with alcohol or Bactine  first so that there is less of a  chance of SEALING IN any potential infection.  I have "pin-cushion fingertips" as well! 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Brilliant Steph!  And you are right, we use "superglue" in surgeries and ERs and even many Dr.s offices.

Its of course 1000$ more expensive, because it has to be "made under stricktly sterile conditions"  But when i used it on me i figured anything that stung quite like that had to be killing any bugs....besides the best way to clean a wound is to let it blead anyway.

Course I'm the one who poured straight bleach on a scaple wound......in the days of AIDS and MRSA you can't be too careful.

By the way the straight bleach worked-but Ohhhhhhhboyyyyyyy  was that a rough miniute until it stopped stinging

Now the real reason i am responding to your post is, WOW  Girl you are beautiful!!!!

gollyhugs

dilu

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I've tried the different finger protectors but in the end the glue works best. There are little stick-on pads for quilters but they get in the way. I do have permanent callouses on a couple of fingers but those tiny needles still manage to get thru.
Funny tho, I go for regular acupuncture treatments and have 30-40 needles sticking out of my neck and down my arm. They don't hurt at all!

Marion

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Absolutely super idea, Sephanie bear_flower

Those little needlepricks from sharps do leave holes.

It makes me wonder what's in that liquid bandaid stuff . . . hmmm.

I've got a Sassy's order on the way too, some yummalicious smokey longpile, and I'm wishing I'd opted for more expensive/faster postage.

Marion, we need to learn to sew with acupuncture, maybe heal all our ills at the same time.  :crackup:

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

I have several callouses too, but that needle always finds a new spot.
I've tried the liquid bandage stuff, the needle goes right through that too. The super-glue dries hard and stops the needle.

Board footer