Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pipa UK

doe anyone know what Hot Glue is ?? And have you used it? is it good, does it just come in a stick like super glue? would super glue be just as effective ?? where do you buy it ??

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hi Pipa,

hot glue comes in sticks, which you put in an electric glue gun, where it is heated. You then dab it on whatever you want to glue. I haven't used it much, but  know it gets very hot, so be careful when handling it. Lots of colours are available as well as clear glue. Seems to work with most materials.

I hope, someone else can tell you more from first hand experience.

Stellajella Wien

Pipa,
as Sabine explained: you need a gun to glue :
http://chn-industry.en.alibaba.com/prod … e_Gun.html
You might try shops like B&Q or check ebay.
It is easy to handle, but be careful!  bear_grin

Happy glueing
Gaby bear_flower

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I personally find them messy.  The glue wants to "string" when you pull away from whatever it is you are gluing.  I've used a variety of different glue sticks and all of them do the same thing.  They work well for items that do not require tiny detail.  I don't know that I would try them on a bear itself....accessories perhaps.

But, I'm messy anyway...   bear_tongue

Pipa UK

Ooo thanks everyone for the help on Hot Glue, I found a pattern to make a prim snowman head thing that you hang on your doors or wherever, i want to make one for my friend in the USA who loves prim stuff, but it says you need Hot Glue to glue the snowmans hat onto his head (his head will be made out of muslin and the hat out of wool) I was wondering if any craft glue would be strong enough super glue maybe. or i could sew it on i suppose but glue would be easier.. i don't want to get burn or end up with a gooey mess :/

I seriously think it would be easier to BUY gifts this year instead of trying to make them all  bear_rolleyes

Stellajella Wien

Shantell, ohmygod! I did not think for a minute that Pipa would use the glue on a teddy  bear_shocked
Pipa, you could make some food presents, in respect of your carpal tunnel thingie...smoething like greek cheese in oil and garlic  bear_grin or a christmas pudding...

Gaby bear_flower

Pipa UK

Eww thanks Melanie Jayne, i think i will skip on the Hot Glue and just use some other normal craft glue like you suggested bostick or super glue or fabric glue

as a last resort sew the  hat to his head  bear_original

Pipa UK

lol Gaby i would never glue a bear  they are way too precious for that  bear_grin
food pressies would be a good idea but i'm a lousy cook, *sigh* i will get these daft ideas in my head !! Still,, i suppose i've got  3 and a bit months bear_happy

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Hi,
I love Magnatac and Fabrictac for doing crafts like snowmen and such.  It takes longer to dry, but ithey are strong and hold fabric parts together quite well. I use clamps and clothes pins to hold pieces together while they dry.    I also really like E6000 and Goop which are VERY strong tacky glues.  Work in a well ventilated area.
I've got a nasty scar on my hand from a hot glue burn that I got while making wings for an angel.    bear_sad   A wee bit of glue landed on the top of my right hand and took a couple of layers of skin with it when it was removed.  VERY painful,    bear_cry    and a messy scar.   There are low temperature hot glue guns if you need a 'fast fix.'    I would recommend that over the regular temp ones.   I also don't find that hot glue holds up over time nearly as well as the above mentioned glues.   bear_shocked

hugs,
nt

Pipa UK

WOw that sounds like a really painful experience. i am defintley no going to use hot glue, i'm going to look in some craft shops for some craft glue that is designed to hold material together without the risk of any burns or anything. that stuff sounds pretty dangerous huh!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh Pipa & Gaby...I didn't really think Pipa was asking about using hot glue ON a bear...however, many of us use glue for other aspects of bearmaking such as securing cording to glass eyes and whatnot...that's all I meant.  I couldn't imagine trying to do that sort of detail work.  I'd burn myself and make a general mess if I even attempted.  :crackup:   :crackup:

Pipa UK

lol Shantell, it sounds more like a lethal weapon that Hot Glue huh

Board footer