Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm thinking Tips & Techniques today... can you tell???

So here's an imaginary question for you creative types.

What MAGICAL BEARMAKING TOOL would you ask for, if the teddy-bear-fairy granted you one wish?

Personally, I would wish for the

Stuff-It-Evenly-Without-Lumps-And-Please-Sew-It-Tightly-And-Neatly-Closed-With-A-Ladder-Stitch

tool.

I'm a design girl -- love the pattern creation and imagineering part of it -- and a finishing girl -- just adore putting every last finishing touch, from nose to shading to accessories, on those bears.

Everything else is drudgery I try to imagine as fun, but don't always succeed at doing.

How about you???  What would be YOUR magical tool?

sarahjane Brisbane

Put my name down for one of those Please sew it tightly and neatly closed with a ladder stitch tools....and add to it a sew all ears on neatly and EVENLY tool!!!  :crackup:

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

lol...great topic...& great magical tool ideas.....I just want a magical tool that takes care of  my housework...so I can spend more time doing needle felting & basketweaving :crackup: bear_original :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
Hugs &

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I'm easy--a needlethreader and a housekeeper!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Can you magic me a thing to pull the eyes in really tight while I tie them in..without catching my fingers in the knot...ouch!

That's about it..I can put up with anything else

kimboycethomas Posts: 25

I'd like a perl cotton nose stitching elf.  Anyone know where I can get one of those?  Kim T

Dilu Posts: 8,574

[size=26]ADDISSON FORCEPTS[/size]

They are like tweezers with teeth, I can pick up a silk thread with no trouble....I only have one set....and when I misplace them, which happens on a semi regular basis, I go nuts!

How can you tell?

I tear the living room apart....but since I am doing it I also vacuume the daylights under all the furniture.

Now it used to only take a couple hours to tear apart the living room....now it can take all day.  What happened?  It didn't get any bigger.....hmmmmmmm

I think the gollys hide the Addisson's from me to watch me go nuts!

OH you want a magical tool....never occured to me you want magical thinking here.....since that's my whole life anyway.....

OK  I want a fix-it button that finds my Addisson's when ever I loose them.  Like those wonderful back-to-school-comercials....STAPLES!  Boy I know how those parents are feeling!

I also wish i could have a whole set of needles from the 1950's when they were strong and didn't break all the time.  I am so fed up with needles breaking....Yesterday I was tichtening down the head and this humongous needle, that never should have broken ever, broke.

I was really torn with a moral and ethical question......

well, I couldn't leave it in the head, had to get the Blankity#$$$## out of there....and couldn't rest till all three parts were retrieved.  Sheesh!!!!

What happened to decent steel needles that didn't break or bend every time you turn around?!

gollyhugs

dilu

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I want a trim the fur off the edges elf and a pin the pieces together elf!
Sonya

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

Yes I would agree with a package and post person. It takes me half a day to get a bear packed then to the post. I include the cost of post, package and ins, (plus GST in Australia), with all my bears, even overseas orders so it is a huge chunk of time and money.
Susan

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I'll take one of those package-and-post things too.  bear_original

It took me a solid week to get my business account with Canada Post sorted out so that I could send off two little mice, one to Mass. and one to Sweden. Packing them up properly took hours but (silly me) . . . I thought the worst was over. I took them to the PO and was told that there was something wrong with my pre-printed mailing labels. Took them back and tried to do it again, but since I'd already paid a gazillion $$, it got complicated.

So today I got back to the PO with acceptable pre-printed labels, only to find that the PO lady had never heard of such things . . . she was very suspicious of my labels.

"Are you sure these are already paid for?"
"Twice," said I wearily and foolishly, because I  then had to explain the whole online business account thing,  plus my unhappy experience with same.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'd like one of everything listed above...and a magical nap direction finder for those mohairs that go every which way and I have to practically get out my magnifying glass to figure out which way it REALLY goes and not how it looks like it goes on the surface.

I've taken out the same piece of mohair at least a dozen times and always put it back thinking...next time.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Well, I shall one of each of all the tools you girls are after, plus one additional one.  I would like a tool that puts the second ear on exactly in the same position as you managed to get the first one on.  I don't know why it is, but my first ear always goes on a dream, and then the second ..... don't even ask!!

K Pawz Guest

I want a self organizing pattern binder that puts all the peices for the same bear back in the same slot in the folder.....and an automatic fabric swatch clipper and organizer, as opposed to my drawer of swatches just waiting to be trimmed and catoegorized, which I might add when I go to do it and then look in the drawer the drawer gets promptly closed again as being too big a job....silly me, each time I put it off, the drawer just gets fuller....so Shelli, when you find all of these magical things we are looking for please send them off accordingly... :crackup:  :crackup: Oh and by the way, I also would like one of everything listed above as well.

Hugs,
Krista

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh.... where do I begin?????????

MY magical tool will sew foot pads and head gussets, do the cooking, take the dogs out, take dictation so it can type my posts here while I keep working, and will do all of my book keeping. OH!!! And it will also tighten all joints properly and equally.  bear_tongue

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I want a ginormous stamp of all of my pattern pieces so I don't have to trace them out each time. ( I had one of those 'fashion plate" things as a kid...I want that for patterns..just mix and match the plates, run the crayon over it and it's done.) Everything else I like doing...it's the pattern placement and tracing that I just don't love.
Oh and  I want one of those little robot vacuums to suck up all of the Mohair clippings so I don't have to lug out the vacuum each morning...that's not so Magical..they have those now...but I want mine to bring me tea with honey as well.  bear_grin

:hug:
~Chrissi

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

I want a trim the fur off the edges elf and a pin the pieces together elf!
Sonya

My dream tool will be this one too ↑  bear_grin
I can't use shaver to do a trim because I'm too scare.  bear_cry  I do my trim with scissors and it takes
forever~ bear_wacko

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

I would wish for a magical automatic joint turning tool....that would give perfectly tensioned joints at the press of

a button!!!!........that would be bliss!!!!.......Oh...and the stuffing tool and the magic ear matching tool... and.............

...........!!!!!!

Hugs,

Yvonne  bear_flower

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
chrissibrinkley wrote:

I want a ginormous stamp of all of my pattern pieces so I don't have to trace them out each time. ( I had one of those 'fashion plate" things as a kid...I want that for patterns..just mix and match the plates, run the crayon over it and it's done.)
~Chrissi

Oh Chrissi!!!  I had one of those too and I just LOVED it!!!!!   bear_wub  bear_smile  I know EXACTLY whay you are talking about!   bear_tongue

If you go to a store that specializes in stamping products you CAN have stamps custom made... I have no idea what the cost involved would be... but you could theoreticaly have a stamp made of your whole pattern layout... or of the pieces individually so you could mix and match. 

Just my two cents... Nose Stitching Elves are more trouble than they are worth!  VERY demanding little creatures.  They have to have everything JUST SO before they will work... they DON'T theread their own needles, and if you feed them anything containing just the slighest trace of tree nuts they will absolutely go insane.    Honestly!   bear_tongue

My vote would be for a Needle Finding Gnome.  Unfortunately, I believe that I already have one... the husband!  I try to be really careful with my pins and needles... but every so often one goes missing.  You'd think that with me, three children, and a cat running around all day long barefoot.... that one of US would find the strays.  Nope... my husband gets them everytime!  Ouch!  I always tell him that he must have magnetic feet or something!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

My magical tool would have to be a 'press this button and it will all be done in half the time'!

If I could also have a magical zap stick that would turn my big guys into miniatures, that would be pretty cool too!

I'd also like a phone box type thing in the corner of my bedroom, so that in the mornings I could enter and twirl a la Superwoman, then emerge glammed up and raring to go!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
WildThyme wrote:

Oh Chrissi!!!  I had one of those too and I just LOVED it!!!!!   bear_wub  bear_smile  I know EXACTLY whay you are talking about!   bear_tongue

My vote would be for a Needle Finding Gnome.  Unfortunately, I believe that I already have one... the husband!  I try to be really careful with my pins and needles... but every so often one goes missing.  You'd think that with me, three children, and a cat running around all day long barefoot.... that one of US would find the strays.  Nope... my husband gets them everytime!  Ouch!  I always tell him that he must have magnetic feet or something!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

I had the girl and boy version of the plates...the girls got fashion plates and the boys got monster maker plates...I had both and probably tried to combine them somehow  bear_grin  :crackup:

Needle Finding Gnome.....hmmmm sounds good to me!!!  I run one of those magnetic needle holder wand things over the floor as soon as I think I've dropped a pin.  I wear uggs all year round so I'm ok, but I'm always worried about the pooches!

~Chrissi

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

mmmm , the magic wand that gets all the joints set the same, the perfect ladder stitch when closing the seams, the perfect embroidered nose, to add more hours in the day to .............. and more and more and more. so my magical tool would be the magical wand.

bear_original
Lynette

kate Kates Mates
Malua Bay

I'd wish for a little elf who can sew ears on straight - and precisely where they're best suited - the FIRST TIME!  And he'll also have to a diplomat to deal with my husband  bear_wub who is even more demanding with his bears' ears than I am. Everything else I can reasonably cope with.
Bear hugs
Kate

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm
chrissibrinkley wrote:

Oh and  I want one of those little robot vacuums to suck up all of the Mohair clippings so I don't have to lug out the vacuum each morning...that's not so Magical..they have those now...but I want mine to bring me tea with honey as well.  bear_grin

~Chrissi

Oh, I got one of those, its called hubby  :crackup:  He can't stand the fluff all over the place and he actually likes vacuuming  bear_wub He has tea duty too.  bear_smile

I want all the magical tools mentioned and also a machine that spots out any type of mohair I want on the push of a button. Like in Star Trek where the machines make anything imaginable, from food to clothes. For free of course!  bear_tongue

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  :dance: The Replicator! I'm waiting for that one too! :crackup:

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Let's forget the tools I want the Teddy Bear - Bunny Rabbit - Animal Making Fairy to make everything for me and just give me the money for it.
:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Let me know when you girls figure that one out.

Board footer