Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I think the same, Jared.
I cannot wait to have my new beeswax to smell it!  bear_original If I am pleased with its natural perfume, for sure, I won't add any other perfume! I suppose the smell depends on the flowers the bees had visited, like the tatste of honey.
Actually, I found the smell of the old candle quite pleasant but I forgot to smell the nose of my bear after I waxed it! i will have to wait until my next visit to my boyfriend's parents to check that out! The bear is now living in their home.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

little-Bruin_1.JPGHi everyone

I´m new on TT and I´m also new on waxed noses so...
Do you use a special tool to put the wax on the nose?
I use a bit of toilet paper but I dont know if there are a better way to do it.

I´ve read the tip about the hair dryer - I´ll try that next time, thank you

Here you can see one of my latest creations with waxed nose:

Lillte Bruin 3,15 inch

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Hi Tina~
Welcome to TT!!!

I use a Kistka. As mentioned before, it is the same tool used to dye Ukranian eggs. The candle heated ones are very inexpensive (around $5). My bears are small so I use a fine tipped kistka. If you buy a kistka don't forget to also buy cleaning wires because you will need them to keep the wax flowing.

Hugs~ Kathy

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Hi Kathy

Thank you. Sounds great. I think it´s just what I need.
Do you know where to buy this  'Kistka'
I don´t know what it is - I don´t think we have here in Denmark? (Or maybe we have, when I find out what it is)

Winkle Bears Winkle Bears
Brisbane

Hi there

i need some help... my nose just does not want to shine.
i was tipped off to use fax or wax paper (for baking) to shine my nose but i just cant seem to get that extra shine.
i have put 2 layers on by rubbing the wax into the embroidery thread and then buffing it with wax paper.

are others using a varnish or something to get that real wet shine look?

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Hi Chr(istine!
Welcome on Teddy-Talk!
Hummm, your problem sounds strange to me.
Lets see that: once you have applied the hot wax on the nose the way you wanted, do you wait that it is hard and cold? Once it is hard and cold, I use some soft fabric tissue to rub it and it always shines after rubbing for a moment. At least it shines enough for me!

I hope you can solve your problem... Not sure I was helpful.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario
Winkle Bears wrote:

Hi there

i need some help... my nose just does not want to shine.
i was tipped off to use fax or wax paper (for baking) to shine my nose but i just cant seem to get that extra shine.
i have put 2 layers on by rubbing the wax into the embroidery thread and then buffing it with wax paper.

are others using a varnish or something to get that real wet shine look?

Hi Christine,  I like using brown paper.  Like from a brown paper bag I found that worked the best for me, someone also mentioned to me one time that Nylons were good at buffing the nose but I haven't tried that.

big hugs

Hugs

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Christine!  I've only done a couple of waxed noses.... but here's what I found.  I had to put several "treatments" of wax on.  The wax kind of settles & melts down into the embroidery floss.  If you have embroidered many layers of floss onto your nose, you might just need to keep adding more wax.  If there is not enough wax on that upper layer of floss.... that could be why you aren't getting a shine.  What kind of wax are you using?

Kim Basta

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Lisa wrote:  Susan's technique involves just rubbing the embroidery threads of your nose with a chunk of beeswax.

I took a class from Kathleen Wallace and she taught us the same way. Rub a block of wax over the nose. You would rub your hand or fingers over the nose to warm it up and smooth it out. It made a beautiful nose and to this day, there is no cracking or fading. I lived in hot Florida and the bear nose survived that climate.

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I purchase my wax from "Beary Cheap" Bear making supplies in Australia (at lest I think that is who it is).  It comes in a wide variety of colours - I get the black and the dark brown.  I tape around the nose with masking tape so I won't get any on the fur or backing.  Then I just hold the wax piece in my hand until it is warm - then just rub it on going in the same direction as the embroidered threads, making sure I get it on evenly all over.  I don't put on a thick layer - you can still see the individual threads.  Then I rub it with any paper I have on hand - sometimes even my hand itself or a piece of fabric, and it comes up to a nice shine - not a bright wet look gloss though.  Don't rub it hard - just buff it.
Hope that helps.

Jane P.

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Yes, I combine the methods of Michelle and Steve, I rub the block of wax on the nose then use my breath (like trying to clean my glasses) and my hands/fingers for heat, then I use a brown paper lunch bag to buff like mad! I repeat untill I feel it's finished. bear_thumb

Hope this helps,
AndreaM bear_original

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Christine I have the wax from Australia,(for sale) which I use and find works very nicely. I heat mine in a pot pouri burner so that it retains its heat and I apply it with a screwdriver so that I can easily wipe it clean. This also allows me to spread it nicely over the nose, as I heat the tip of the screwdriver in the flame. I let it cool down before buffing. Sometimes I apply more than one layer depends just how evenly the first layer is applied.
Smoothing it out- I use a small piece of template sheet first, then I buff with either paper, silk stocking, leather- depends just what kind of shine I want in the end.
I also have nose templates perspex ones  from Oz which I have for sale. Some are shown on my website others are not, plus a product called Nose Shine- this gives a "plastic look" which can be nice depending on what type of bear you are making. Clear Nail Varnish will also add a shine, plus lots of other products are on the market that you can paint on that when dry will leave a clear shine.

Thru E-ZBear University you can also do a nose course- all the tips help in getting a better nose. Most people seem to forget that the perfect nose is not just working on the nose at the end- it is right from the very start of your bear making- making sure that no hair is trapped under where you are embroidering, the nose area is firmly stuffed, and that you ensure that you embroider a nice nose, with even stitches. Wax is there to enhance the bear's nose not to disguise a badly sewn nose.

Lynette

Brisbane

Thanks for all your help.

I am using cold wax sophie. maybe i should try heating it. i have tried once with clear wax but it seams to change the colour and burns. (maybe that because i used a candle to melt it.  :doh:

I will try brown paper (The Bear guys) thats the first option i will try before i melt anything on my poor bears face. Thanks for the tip. will try it today.

I have tried two types of wax... they did not appear to have names on them.  The clear one in in a large triangle shape and the black one is in a lip balm tube (almost looks like acrayon when you take it out. Not sure if that helps. it not beeswax. thats about all i know. I warm the wax with my fingers to help it rub on easier and rub it again once on to help smooth it out before shining it.

I also use warm breathe on it too. it helps with the rubbing on but not wet look shine. still

I can add more layers of wax but i like the threads to shown through so it still has that hand sewn look to the nose. so i am hesitent to give it more layers.

Jane i have tried masking it and applying melted wax but when i remove the masking tape it leaves ugly edges. I smooth those edges but its not quite as nice as the rub on method and sometime leaks under the masking tape. i cant seem to find one that sticks quite well enough.
(i tried the masking tape used by architects)

NOSE SHINE... that sounds like a wet look. i am sure others are using varnishes or something as i fail to see how that wax can get so shiny. I will check out the web... easy to order from you as i am in South Africa.
LOL... disguising badly sewn noses... i can see beginners doing that.  bear_laugh

I am trying to perfect each nose with every bear. when the hubby calls for dinner and i am on a nose... i am in a rythym and supper can wait.

Will give the brown paper a try and will check out the website.

Thanks again to everyone!
bear_thumb

Brisbane

The brown paper worked like a charm!  bear_thumb
i did add one more layer of wax... threads are still showing but the shine is much better.
the shine not a wet look but a little clear nail polish would do the trick.\
bear_original
Thanks again

rockes Posts: 1

I have ordered my first bear kit from e-bay as I want to make a present for my (almost) daughter-in-law who is an avid bear collector (as is her mum).
my finances are limited so I cannot buy a collector bear for her (they are beautiful) and as I don't know what her collection looks like i have only the one she chose for myself and my son as an example of her taste in bears.  I didn't realise bears had such different personalities until I looked at some sites on the internet.  I thought my own old bear(who i am proud to say after 53 years still has his velvet paws fur and growler intact) was a thing of beauty (I made outfits for him all through childhood, to keep him safe from moths really) so this website has been a real eye-opener.  Airbrushing, wax noses, things I had never associated with creating bears is discusssed in such a helpful way I am not so anxious about starting this project as i first was. I do not have a machine so sewing is by hand.  Is there a special thread needed for seam sewing - i've seen specific thread for noses,but not seams. hope its not an idiotic question!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

There are absolutely NO idiotic questions on this board, Rockes . . . each question has value for all of us.  I recommend upholstery thread as it is very strong.  We have a library full of wonderful tips and "Threads" is one of the topics of discussion.  The library is right above the first post of this page on the left side - see the little smiley waving his arms?  Good luck with your kit and congratulations on still having your childhood bear and keeping him in such good shape.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi Rockes
Your post was delightful to read.  I hope you enjoy making the bear and perhaps making more.  It's very rewarding. As Sue Ann mentioned, the library has tons of wonderful info.
Hugs,
Laura
  :hug:

Board footer