Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You knew it was coming, right?  bear_laugh

Since starting the synthetic fur discussion many of you are now itching to try that synthetic that's been sitting in your closet or to go buy some to try! So, let's get to it and share our new creations with everyone!

I especially challenge those who have not worked with synthetics or haven't used the really good stuff before!!!

I seem to be good at starting a challenge but never actually getting the challenge bear made so let's see if even I can get one done this time!!!

Challenge critter can be any animal and any size your heart desires.

Deadline? Let's say October 1?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Great idea Daphne.  I wish I could play but have so much to get done.  I will look ofrward,though to those to make bears from synthetic.

You know, when I went to the San Diego Zoo a couple of weeks ago I wanted to buy a neat souvenier.  They had a case full of Steiff animals but nothing really grabbed me and I had to have someting from mohair.  THEN,  I saw this really neat tiger made from plush just hanging around will all the other animals on a shelf.  I have never seen or felt plush this nice before.  I bought the tiger and I find myself hugging him often..wow..I have totally changed my ideas about synthetics.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I just started a synthetic plush bear the other night, after the original post got me thinking about the fur I had set aside....so I'm in!  bear_original

Challenge for synthetic "plush" alone...or anything synthetic, like vintage upholstery and mini fabrics (?)
I have some really cool mini synthetics too

:hug:
~Chrissi

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I'm definitely in!  I'm afraid I have to be honest and say I'm far from a newomer to using synthetic though.  Still, I've just started work on a synthetic bear and should have him complete very soon ... so this challenge has come at exactly the right time for me!

K Pawz Guest

Well I am sure that I will be able to come up with something :crackup: Although far from being new to synthetic, I will make one or two just for this Challenge, and then of course send them off to two someone specials on here, who have kindly sent me some of their treasures. You know who you are so be on the look out!!!

Hugs,
Krista

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I'm working on a synthetic bear now too, so it should be hard to pass this challenge up!   bear_original

Cheers,
Kelly

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

bear_thumb
I don't think I can enter since everything I do is synthetic lately. For me a challenge would be mohair! I haven't used it in a loooong time. But I'm here for any questions or problems? I've probably seen almost every kind of problem you can come up against with all kinds of synthetics   bear_rolleyes
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

heck.. I just finished 2 of them. Can I use them?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Karen, we use the word "Challenge" loosely here.  It basically means, "Here is a topic we find interesting and we want to see what YOU do with it."  So your cats and bruins are more than welcome, even at your expert level!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes, Karen.... show us your latest and greatest! :)
I certainly wan't excluding anyone..... just hoping to give those who are tempted to try synthetics a good reason to jump in! (Sometimes we need a good excuse and a little push!)
I'd be happy to give you a synthetic challenge! I'd love to see a cat in mohair! :)

Can't wait to see everyone's creations! All this talk about those gorgeous long plush fabrics and the mini ones too, has my fingers wiggling!!!!

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

OK, Shelli,
You got me, I'm in. I have a complex patterned fur that is incredibly soft. I'm going to try to arrange the pattern pieces in a way that it will make a realistic looking kitten. THIS will be a challenge  bear_tongue
Karen

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

OH Karen , that sounds wonderful!! I bought a wonderful synthetic a while back that has all different color patches. I bought it because it would make a great cat if it were put toghether right but I never did as I'm not sure where to start in regards to making a cat or kitten. I adore your work by the way  bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub  I guess maybe I give up to easily when my skills don't meet my standards of what I would like to create. :redface:  I look forward to seeing your kitten and all the other wonderful synthetic creations!!  bear_wub   bear_grin

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I just finished my synthetic challenge in the weekend  I bought some of Stephanie's new fur and was determined to make a small but snuggly bear...all that fluffy fur just about did my head in but I was pretty pleased with the result and Toshi is probably midway over the Pacific right now on the way to his new home.

However, I have some other fur that has a streeeeeetchy backing.  I've used it once before and with the aid of the magic fabric fixer, the stretch was gone and it went together well, but I personally wasn't happy with the face of the bear I created from it.  (Naturally he was the very first bear to sell from my table at the show, so what do I know!!)   So, I want to try again with this fabric and get it right.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I will now have to pop over to the other post and have alook at the synthetics now.  bear_grin
Love this challenge by the way. I'm also working on a synthetic at the moment. I saw and touched this piece at the last fair and just had to have it. IT IS SOOOOO SOFT.  All I have left is his face. Havent NFed onto synthetic yet. So this I had planned to be my first.

Karen, how wonderful to meet you. I have drooled over your beautiful coon cats for I dont know how long. You have the most magnificent talent. And to think you will be available for advice on synthetics. Wow wow wow.
Thankyou, I know I can speak for all of us here, Thankyou.
Wendy :dance:  bear_thumb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I second Wendy, Karen--your work is breathtaking!

I didn't realize that you worked with synthetics. Anyone doubting their possibilities just has to look at your amazing kitties--they've got more life in them than my live ones do!

I'll be in on the challenge. I've been asked to make a faux fur white lop rabbit dressed in a purple frock and a white pinafore for a baby's Christmas present. Child-safe, of course. The customer also wants a matching dress and pinafore for the baby--talk about a challenge!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Karen You do fabulous cats!!! I had the pleasure of seeing them in person last year in Schaumburg. So realistic!
OK, Karen here is a question for the expert...I use ultrasuede for my bears' paw pads. I do a combination of applique and trapunto on them and love the effect, but whenever I have tried to sew ultrasuede to knit synthetics, my sewing machine skips stitches. I use the machine for this part because I sew the tiniest tightest stiches I can, since I stuff the toes and "fingers" quite firmly.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Daphne you are so funny.....OK the challange will be to see Daphne's completed critter!

I'm gonna try something too......hmmmmmm...........

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Wooohooo!!  Synthetic Challenge  bear_grin  I just bought some new gorgeous pink stuff so will be in bear_original  I already have a heap of bears made from synthetic, I love it!!  (mind you I still haven't finished my classic challenge bear  bear_rolleyes

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Tami,
Oh, boy the OLD skipping stiches. I have that happen a lot when appliqueing leather to fur. First I try spraying some pure silicone on the needle and I repeat that every few minutes to keep the needle moving cleanly through the thick layers. If it's really bad I actually spray the backside of the leather and let it dry (pure silicone should leave no smell or change in feel. It may very slightly darken ultrasuede or suede but that usually disappears after it dries.) I only use this sparingly for small pieces as you don't want to be breathing a lot of silicone. If it comes to throwing out a piece or using silicone, I use silicone. Once it drys it's fine. If that doesn't work you really have problems. Some people recommend adjusting the foot presser of you machine. Some times it's a bobbin problem. None of these adjustments worked for me but they're worth checking?
Karen

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Cool.....a synthetic challenge!! bear_thumb I wish I had time to participate (still bogged down with this addition/remodel adventure bear_wacko ) as I've never worked with the good synthetics that I always hear about.  I haven't used synthetics at all since the days of all my "practice" bears that I didn't want to use expensive mohair on........and those were made from Walmart and fabric store synthetics which I have learned to hate working with.  Usually the backing is horrible!!!

I have looked online a few times at the synthetics.  I don't have a clue how or where to shop for them however.  Any ideas anyone?  Where's a good place to buy and what's a good type to buy, etc, etc???  Need info for future reference here!! bear_grin

:doh:  :doh: Okay......I've been off TT for several days and see what I've missed?!!!  Just found that long, lovely thread of Daphne's on favorite synthetics..........so I'm reading away and getting lots of my questions answered as I go!! bear_grin   I shall definitely have to try some quality synthetic sometime when I have a life again. bear_wacko I do so love the alpaca just for the reason it is so dense and lends so well to scissor sculpting, so I imagine a good synthetic will put me over the moon!!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
KJ Lyons wrote:

Tami,
Oh, boy the OLD skipping stiches. I have that happen a lot when appliqueing leather to fur. First I try spraying some pure silicone on the needle and I repeat that every few minutes to keep the needle moving cleanly through the thick layers. If it's really bad I actually spray the backside of the leather and let it dry (pure silicone should leave no smell or change in feel. It may very slightly darken ultrasuede or suede but that usually disappears after it dries.) I only use this sparingly for small pieces as you don't want to be breathing a lot of silicone. If it comes to throwing out a piece or using silicone, I use silicone. Once it drys it's fine. If that doesn't work you really have problems. Some people recommend adjusting the foot presser of you machine. Some times it's a bobbin problem. None of these adjustments worked for me but they're worth checking?
Karen

Thank you Karen,
I will try the silicone spray. Where would I purchase this? If that doesn't work I'll just have to buy the woven backed synthetics! Thanks again! bear_flower

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Bisto.jpgBistohead.jpgOoh, how exciting!  I'm the first with a pic!!  I've literally finished my synthetic bear about half an hour ago!  Dashed out to the garden to take pics and here he is!

Introducing 'Bisto':  He's 21" and made from a wonderful Tissavel faux fur called 'chinchilla'.  This fabric is outrageously gorgeous!  The way the colours blend is amazing and it's so soft you really will want to wrap it around your naked self!   I've incorporated hand painted eyes, an alpaca muzzle, open mouth and shaded wool felt paw pads and inner ears.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ooo, he's wonderful!!! I just wanna hug and squeeze him!!!

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Honestly Paula, that is one of the most sensational looking furs I have ever seen.  He looks superb.  What a marvellous example of what can be done with synthetics.  Just gorgeous.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon
All Bear wrote:

it's so soft you really will want to wrap it around your naked self!

Dammit...now I have to order some synthetic. 

:crackup:   :crackup:   :crackup:

Bisto is gorgeous...too bad Hugglets is too far a commute for me to drive!!!!   bear_wub

Board footer