Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Patty Posts: 36

Hi, I am new here. I am a collector and I have bears by several artists here, and am hoping to acquire many more! My question is how do you keep current on values for OOAK pieces? I collect dolls and teddy bears and am trying to come up with amounts for the insurance company. Although I have been a collector for years, I have only started collecting artist bears in the last several years. I started off slow with the bears, but I am quickly picking up speed! Ebay seems to be a roller coaster as far as determining values. Do you recommend going by strictly what you paid, or the popularity of the artist or something else? Since no one else has a OOAK artist bear that I have, it is hard to know what kind of value should be placed on it in the event that something happens to it. I would appreciate any help!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Patty, and a big welcome to Teddy Talk.  Your question is an interesting one and a tough one.  Very hard to determine OOAK values!  I have Dee Hockenberry's books, The Teddy Bear Companion, volumes one and two.  Vol. 1 came out in 1995, vol. 2 a year later.  In vol. 1, she has a section on artist bears and I quote what she says:  "Most of the prices given for artists' bears are what the bears originally sold for.  Add a percentage value for each succeeding year, the highest for unusual and limited editions."  Now the artist bears she uses and quotes prices for in the book are not OOAK, as far as I can determine, but I would think the same principle would apply.  You might find her book at a library or get a used one on Amazon.com.  I also have a price guide, Buying and Selling Teddy Bears by Terry and Doris Michaud, copyright 2000.  Near the end of this book is a section titled "The Market for Contemporary Artist-Made Teddy Bears".  They list several artist bears, giving the original price and current (2000) price.  Hope this helps a little.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Yes that is a hard question. On E Bay things some times go for wholesale price and other times several people fight over something that goes for thousands of dollars !! Maybe when you buy form E Bay from now on you can ask after you win an item what the piece would sell for at a show. If you got it low because you were lucky then make its value what the artist says. If you got caught in a whirl wind and it went really high ... well that is what it is worth !!! In my opinion most are priceless !!! You could never replace the ones you fall in love with !!! The joy they bring could never be bought off !!! But really good question !!! Happy collecting !!

Bear Hugs and Blessings from above

Jodi Falk

mybears021.jpg

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Hi Patty,
Welcome to Teddy Talk! Have you talked to your insurance company about this? From my personal experience most insurance companies want an appraised value, or some sort of proof of value, on an art item for insurance so I am thinking likely the retail price you paid for each bear - using your receipt - would likely work best and easiest. If anything did happen to the bear then likely you could replace if for around that same amount for a similar bear from the artist - if it was a short time later. Over the years you might need to keep an eye on what a particular artist's bears are going for in case they increase greatly and perhaps show some proof of this to your insurance company and raise the insured amount at that time. Hope this helps! You will love it here on TT - everyone is so friendly!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

There is a collectors insurance company out there somewhere.
I know that they have advertised in Teddy Bear Review and Teddy Bear & Friends.
They might be able to help. But I would keep an eye on each artists' work. See how they are doing in the marketplace.
Some bears bring huge money and others not so much.
The secondary market in the bear world is nearly non-existant.
I am thinking that a book needs to be written on the subject...

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I'd definitely talk to your insurance agent! I know that you can often purchase a seperate rider on your home owners policy to cover collectibles... since as you are probably aware, collectibles are often (though not always) specifically excluded from a standard homeowners policy.    bear_ermm   I know that my agent had two different types of policies available for collectibles... one that paid the replacement cost, one that covered only what you purchased the "item" for.  I have a really extensive Alice in Wonderland/Lewis Carroll collection that I insured... just in case.  My policy just has a upper limit on what I can recover (which in my estimation would MORE than cover replacement) but if there is a loss... I do have to be able to "prove" my replacement costs.  My advice... start cataloging your collection now while it is still manageable... take a pic of each item and put it in a seperate envelope along with a sales receipt/Pay Pal print out, etc..... and then of course... put the envelopes somewhere OTHER than your home... like a safety deposit box.     bear_thumb

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Board footer