Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Well you can try it and see...
Or next time she calls just tell her that you charge $5.00 to send pictures and that you take that $5.00 off the first order.
Like the new Avatar by the by...

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Great marketing strategy. Worth a try. I'm not too hopeful though!

Glad you like my new old avatar! Shelli made it for me a while ago. It's the best one I've got so it's back! bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

M. D. called me AGAIN today! It's now been 3 days in a row! I haven't been home any of those times.
I'm now sure most of you are right, that she's challeneged in some way. But this calling and calling has got to stop. And it sounds like, even if I did send her pictures, she'll still keep calling. bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Polo, IL

She called again today...
I just let it go to the machine.

Daphne -
Don't you have caller ID?
We don't pick up it if is an 800, 888, 877 or it shows out of area, or it is a number that we do not know.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes, I have caller ID which is why I'm so tempted to call her! It's just that she leaves these messages and I'm sick of wallowing through them.... EVERY DAY, sometimes more than once, is a little MUCH! I've only picked up the phone when she called once... the very first time she rang.... I learned quickly!

Polo, IL

I would check with thte phone company to see if you can block her from calling. I think that we can... I'll go look in our phone book and post that information later... well if I find it.
I know that they list some of the information on using different phone features in our phonebooks.
I'll let you know.

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

I'm glad that some people got responses from the ads. I hope you'll consider following up with additional ads and editorial participation -- marketing research shows it takes an average of three exposures before a person recognizes a product placement. We'll count your TT ad as one and your Face Book entry as two (you've sent it, right?), so you need another ad or Bruins 'n Buddies submission. :)

Regarding the phone lady, I wonder if she's the woman who left a message on my phone this week, listing off people who "no longer make bears and do not want to be contacted by our customers." Since I hadn't heard of some of the people and couldn't identify the others (how many people named "Mary" are there in the bear world?), I shrugged and deleted the message.

Cheers,
Mindy

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Off topic but On Topic -

Switching gears entirely... Regarding the "phone lady" ... You have all just reminded me of the precise reason why I don't invite phone calls into my home, and include only my site address in my advertising.

All calls go through the answering machine (old-fashioned here; don't fix what ain't broke and Yes I use it to screen calls) unless DH is in the house who answers cuz he can't stand an unanswered phone call. I'm basically shy & prefer to know in advance what the call is about in order to organize my thoughts.

3 weeks ago I got a call from a new contact to take my online NFing class. She had about a half hour of questions and is from the deep south so I had trouble understanding her speech patterns. After agreeing to take her on, I said I'd email the information.

It's presented in an interactive, private yahoo group with password protected lessons. Group classes are given the passwords once a week for about 7 weeks, to keep the class focused on the same thing; individuals have access to the whole list as soon as they join and they-self-pace. There are many informational posts to read in advance covering all aspects of NFing, to fill the reading and experimenting time while awaiting the mailed materials.

I asked how she got my number as I never give it out - I've always been a writer and a phone-avoidance person as I like to prepare what I say in advance - only our kids get through instantly!
A former, out-of-state student gave it to her though I don't know how she obtained it either.

I got 2 phone calls the next day because she hadn't received my email yet. 
After Paypal processed the fee, I got daily calls - 
"What postal service did I use for mailing the materials?" (I paid shipping)
"Does the kit contain the foam?" (Reading the 50+ posts on the group list gives this info)
"I'm at the pet store; which type of grooming brushes should I buy?"
"The kit hasn't arrived yet."
"I'm at the craft shop. Should I buy Prismacolor or Copic markers?"
"Which are your favorite shades" (listed in the 50+ posts)
etc..... Daily for 10 days.

During this time she'd sent about 4 dozen thumbnail pix of her previous work.
Less than 48 hours after receiving her kit, I received several dozen thumbnails of her finished project. 
Nothing had changed in her NFing style, so I knew that she'd rushed through it, using her previous methods and not applying my techniques, that she'd paid to learn.

I wrote that "I was glad to see that she'd had the available time to devote to just this project, but the images are too small to be able to 'draw' on to show my suggestions; could she send a few larger images?"

Since then - nothing. I'm glad in a way as I don't dread the ringing phone, but concerned that her representation of my class is not accurate. 

I still prefer to transact all business in a written form: to have records of what the promises, responsiblities and transactions are. 

Please don't stone me for not wanting to meet the clients "in person"! I know my strengths and weaknesses and I'm just not at my best that way!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

A week or so before I got my copy of the magazine I had a ton of new hits mostly from the USA on my website, and about 13 new people join my mailing list. Some of the names I recognized as collectors on EBAY- who have never bid on my bears , a couple of others have also joined TT. 

Unfortunately I couldn't afford to buy an ad , but  I didn't know that I was in the bruin's n buddies as well as the getting sidebar column.  ( I'm still in shock over that- Thanks Mindy   :hug: !!!!!)    I didn't have any bears on ebay at the time or anything so I can only attribute the suddent interest in my bears to the magazine.  I am elated !!!! 

I'm sure the ads are worth the time and money, as others have said if not immediately, perhaps in the long run.  bear_thumb

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Since we are all discussing Margaret again I thought I would put my two cents in.  I have received four calls in the last three days, more before that but wasn't counting.  I have decided to send a letter to her mother.  I hate bothering an 81 year old person with this type of thing but she does need to know that she needs to get control of the situation (I just hope her health allows it).  The mothers first name is Faye if anyone wants to send a letter or call and talk directly to Mom.
Donna

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Tammy, you said what you said so well that I thought it needed to be shared. Thanks for participating and giving us so much great information!

I always love sharing what all of YOU have to say -- so much more interesting than my rambles -- which is why I ask you to say a little bit about yourself and the inspiration for your pieces when you submit photos. It's much nicer to mention that your favorite niece inspired your business instead of telling collectors that your bear is made of mohair and stuffed with polyfill. And if you share a lot of good stuff, I've got a lot of good stuff to share with collectors. :)

Cheers,
Mindy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, you will have to definitely write her, Donna because according to Margret, Faye is hearing impaired and has had multiple strokes. Yes, I just called to speak to her. Margret answered, I simply asked for Faye and after the 'who is this run around' (I didn't say) she told me Faye wouln't hear me and I wouldn't understand her.

So, I told Margret that I was one of the MANY artists she's been calling on a daily basis and that I didn't not appreciate her pestering me. I let her know that there is a very large group of bear artists who meet online and have been talking about her and all the phone calls, demands for photos, rudeness on the phone, and the fact that she never bought a bear. I told her this was not positive conversation and that she might want to think twice about all the phone calls she was making.

Then I realized I was talking to dead air.
She'd hung up! bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  I do know that she heard most of what I said before hanging up!

Donna, if you write to Faye disguise your return address and don't be surprised if your letter never lands in Faye's hands.

I'm off to call the phone company! I never told her my name so she'll still be calling me!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Uh oh!  I've just joined a very non-exclusive club, it seems.  Guess who just left a message on ye olde Canna Bear Paint answering machine? 

Daphne, you must have convinced her that it was time to start calling some "other" artists  bear_rolleyes

I think our service does block calls, so we'll just have to look into that.  Soon.

Not pickin' up the phone when the caller ID says "Daniel, F.E."...
Kelly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Whoops...!!!  :crackup:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Whoops????

Did you pick up the phone?
Is she calling you now too?

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Well, I guess I'm the newest member of the club.  A lady left a message on my answering machine late this afternoon.  She did not give me her name, but gave me her birthday (3-10-64), was very hard to understand, not talking in complete sentences, wanted pictures of my bears, info on layaway, something about Christmas card, and I could not quite understand her mailing address, but it was Illinois.

I'm almost sure this is the same lady, Bless her Heart.  I feel sorry for her, but like you all, am a bit skeptical about sending anything.  She seemed pleasant, course she was talking to the machine and rambled on and on for a couple of minutes.

I think I'll just let the machine get any unfamiliar calls and if by chance I do talk with her, I'll just tell her I could not understand her address, which is true.  I have sent pictures out before and never gotten any return, but I don't want to encourage a "stalker" either.

When I listened to the message and it went on and on, I remembered the posts on here about the mysterious photo collector.   So glad this topic was posted so I was forewarned.

Hugs,

Wanda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Wanda,
That's her alright. She's very hard to understand on the phone but once you've heard her once you know it's her! And she doesn't take no for an answer! I can't believe she's called so many!

Did I really push the wrong the buttons with her on the phone today? Instead of backing off she's gone to the other extreme! I'm so sorry!  bear_cry

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Daphne,

Dear Heart, you did nothing to cause these phone calls.  I think she is just calling anyone and everyone for pictures.  It was just my turn and no fault of yours.

I once had a lady collector who would call me on Friday's and she would be "three sheets to the wind" drunk.  She had purchased a bear from me and felt that she had the right to call and "chit chat" while on a drinking spree.   I finally just let the answering machine get the calls and she got the message.

I felt sorry for her and did listen a couple of times, but when she would start  in with her "truck driver" language, I felt I did not have to subject myself to her calls anymore.  I won't let people abuse me like that. 

So do not fret that you were the cause of this, you were not.  The lady is just making her rounds.

Hugs,

Wanda

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Daphne, I was only teasing above because you'd been the last person to speak with her.  I'm sorry, I can't say anything right today!  I certainly did not mean to imply that your conversation with her made her call Wanda, or I, or anyone.  She obviously does what she wants to do, when she wants to do it, and it doesn't sound possible to influence her in any other direction but her own.

I do feel badly that the lady has problems, but at the same time, I also would hate to encourage her by responding, as she has apparently taken advantage of other artists' goodwill previously.  I think it would be one thing if I thought that sending her pictures once would make her happy, but this lady sounds like the "give her an inch and she takes a mile" variety, and I just don't have the time to play that game again and again and again...

Wanda, what a sad case your other lady was.  Sounds like she drank alone and did not have friends to talk to.  But you certainly are not obligated to make other people's problems your own, I think you did the right thing when she got out of hand.  Being kind is one thing, being taken advantage of is another.

Best wishes to all,
Kelly

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kelly,
No need to apologize. I wasn't taking you THAT seriously! bear_original

If I had been told what I told Margaret today I'd be thinking really hard and probably be a bit concerned about calling ANY artist again! So, I have to agree with the idea that she's not of sound mind.

Course, neither am I!  bear_laugh

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Back to the topic.....(gosh I'm glad I only gave an internet address in my ad!!)....I'm receiving several more hits a day on my website and have actually had one new person join my mailing list already. 

I'm pleased.  Especially since it is my first venture into major magazine advertising.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Polo, IL
Aleta - The Silly Bear wrote:

Back to the topic.....(gosh I'm glad I only gave an internet address in my ad!!)....I'm receiving several more hits a day on my website and have actually had one new person join my mailing list already. 

I'm pleased.  Especially since it is my first venture into major magazine advertising.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

If you would like I can give her your phone number so you won't feel left out...    :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Well, I guess I'm the newest member of the club.

Not any more, I am--my only consolation is that I'm in very good company! :crackup:

I had a new student itting beside me when the phone rang, and 3 dogs barking their heads off.

She sounded eager to buy, and by the time I figured out who she was, I'd already written down her address.

:doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh: ACK!! HOW DUMB IS THAT? :doh:  :doh:   :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh this thread sure had me giggling!!!

But... wanted to bring up a service I use for a "business telephone" number.  I HAVE gotten orders from my ads... and most from people who do not have internet access. 

I did not want to publish my home phone for both privacy reasons... and also in case the number changes (we live in Chicago... the area codes seem to change a LOT!) I got my very own toll free number which goes to a voicemail box for $5 per month plus call time.

We talked about it before but I thought it was important to bring up again - especially as I can't find that discussion  Here's who I use: http://www.voicenation.com/ I've had them for a year now and love them. I have the regular "Toll Free Voicemail" service.

You can set it up so that when you get a message it will call any number you choose to let you know you have a message... you can also get an email of both the notification and an MP3 file with the message! If you have any troubles setting it up, their customer service is also very good. I had a few ?'s and sent in a request that they call me. Shortly afterwards I got called back and she walked me thru it step by step!

What I am doing now... is trying to see if I can block the "picture lady" from calling that number as I also got 4 calls this weekend  :doh:   Since it is a toll free number.... that costs ME money, not her...

Board footer