Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Just gorgeous, Paula--that fur is so complex, it just makes me want to play with it.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

brie01.jpgMy latest Fairy Doogle was made from a white synthetic.... So count me in......

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Thanks for the lovely comments about Bisto everyone ... Shantell enjoy the sensation!!  bear_happy

Tami, what a cutie!  And such a fun design!!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Picture-4756.jpgPicture-4745.jpgWell, I finally got something completed for a challenge.  bear_tongue   bear_grin  This is Torin. He's 12 inches tall and made out of a beautiful creamy colored synthetic. I'm not sure if he would qualify as a polar bear. I tried to list him on eBay last night and I ended up in a parrellel universe on a page I had never seen before and could not make it work. I was exhausted and beaten and went to bed almost in tears  bear_cry  I'll try again today. Here he is:

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Snazzy-3-450.jpgPaula, Tami & Shari, your bears are all gorgeous! Paula, your bears always look so soft and huggable, Tami, I love the little pink fairy boots and Shari, I love the expression on  Torin and Karen, I am also totally in awe of your beautiful cats.
Snazzy is the last synthetic  bear that I have made.

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Wow, all these beautiful bears.  I am half way through with my shot at this challenge.  The material I am useing is not actually a fur as such but is a synthetic...

Does that count?
Grandchildren sitting this week so won't be able to continue with it until the week-end..

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Paula..Bisto is AMAZING!!! I was sold on those Tissavel synthetics the moment Jenny showed us. Have the Tissavel synthetics got a woven backing? This is importnat in my view because if I use anything but woven, my bears heads in particular end up looking like large hairy footballs because they stretch so much!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Hayley,

I've got a pile of Tissavel samples, plus a small (so far) stash of Tissavel fur. All have woven backings.

I order mine from www.prefurs.com, although I've found a few good-as-new Tissavel coats on eBay. The older coaats have a knitted backing, so I had to line the head pieces, but the current stock is definitely all woven.

I highly recommend investing in the samples--they'll blow you away!

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

He's just "Knock" down gorgeous.  Okay where did you obtain the material.  I would love to experiment with some fabric.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Gorgeous bears Shari, Terrie, Tami and Paula  bear_wub  bear_wub

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Eileen - good to know about the older coats. I'm waiting for my first order from Perfurs to show up but in the mean time have been looking on eBay. Those samples from Prefurs were just so so scrummy! I could have bought a yard of every one!  :doh:

Terrie - I LOVE that fur. I remember when you first shared that bear with us... I was on a mission to finally try some of that crazy material! Mission not yet accomplished! What ever I made of it would be half as adorable as Snazzy is!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm starting on my synthetic bear tomorrow now that the one that was on my sewing table, is OFF.  Not using Prefur yardage yet because I have some on hand from elsewhere, but I'll be ordering some at some point, soon.  Daphne is right; that stuff is just delicious.  And all my sample backings are woven, too.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Daphne, I knew this was coming.  bear_grin  bear_laugh  bear_wub
I can't participate but love to watch what everyones are
creating ! !  :photo:  :rose:

I hope no one will notice that...I'm still working on the
previous challenge " Classical bear Challenge".  bear_tongue   hee hee

hugs
Marie bear_smile

Kent
Website
Just Us Bears wrote:

Paula..Bisto is AMAZING!!! I was sold on those Tissavel synthetics the moment Jenny showed us. Have the Tissavel synthetics got a woven backing? This is importnat in my view because if I use anything but woven, my bears heads in particular end up looking like large hairy footballs because they stretch so much!!

Thank you!  bear_flower

You shouldn't have a problem with the Tissavel fabric Hayley, it's got a lovely tight woven backing.  The only problem I ever have with the fabric is the amount of filaments that go up my nose when I trim the edges of each piece!  I'm seriously thinking I may need to wear a face mask because they make my nose tickle like mad and I'm also aware that I develop a slight cough at night after I've been trimming.  bear_cry

One thing I would say, is if you are using the longer piles, you will probably need to adjust your head pieces, unless you actually want a disproportionately sized head.  The pile is so very dense it can make heads seem too big for their bodies if you don't tweak your patterns!

Tami, Terrie, Shari, those are really gorgeous creations!  :clap:  :clap:

By the way, Daphne if you're listening, are we going to have a gallery for this challenge?  I do hope so, I love seeing all the bears together!  bear_original

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

This is a bear I made a little while back made from a gorgeous plush called Rhubarb Pie. His name is Worzel.

Worzel_012a.jpg

Worzel_020a.jpg

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

One thing I would say, is if you are using the longer piles, you will probably need to adjust your head pieces, unless you actually want a disproportionately sized head.  The pile is so very dense it can make heads seem too big for their bodies if you don't tweak your patterns!

bear_thumb Excellent advice, Paula, and just in the nick of time for me. I've ordered some 'polar bear white' for a commissioned childsafe bunny. She's to be 12" tall sitting upright, and she'll be dressed.

It would be wiser to use a shorter, less dense fur, but I'm determined to use this one. I'm thinking very, very skinny, but any suggestions would be welcome. This ought to be a very interesting challenge!

By the way, I had an email from "Leena" at Prefurs. Apparently faux fur now  travels duty free, and Prefurs has switched carriers to save us a bit of money. In this case, it saves me about $20--

"Thanks again for your order,  we took it on ourselves to switch carriers from UPS to USPS to save you customs brokerage fees.  Canada Post doesn't charge very much in comparison and now the faux furs are duty free on the HS Tariff number 5801359119."

Nice, yes?

Gemma, your bear is scrumptious!!

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Thankyou Daphne, Sarah & Paula!

Terrie - I LOVE that fur. I remember when you first shared that bear with us... I was on a mission to finally try some of that crazy material! Mission not yet accomplished! What ever I made of it would be half as adorable as Snazzy is!

Thankyou so much Daphne, I love this fur also and I have no idea where it came from. I got it from Cindy Woodson during our swap. It does have a knit backing but very little stretch so it was fairly easy to work with. I have had several requests for another bear similar to Snazzy but I just have a little bit left, so I am also on the lookout for more, equally outrageous fur.

Gemma I love your little Worzel and Eileen, I have been meaning to tell you how much I like the mouse in your avatar, he is adorable!
I am just heading out the door for vacation, and I am looking forward to seeing all of the new creations when I get home.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Paula.... I forgot to set up a challenge page?? Oooops! I'll go see about that!

Terrie.... Edinburgh has some similar: http://www.edinburghimports.com/shoppin … 12347R=194

Tips on working with synthetics:

Jared gave some tips on working with synthetics in another thread:

Remember that you might need to make a timmer version of your pattern as the fur is denser than mohair, also keep in mind no matter how firm the back it will give some. If you use your normal mohair bear pattern you will end up with a bear that is a bit out of shape. The arms might be too big around, as will the legs, and the body will be a bit too round...
When we were using synthetics all the time, we had two sets of each pattern one to use on the mohair and one to use on synthetics.

And you'll find more tips here: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=9640

Shipping with Prefurs: They have a drop down menu with various shipping methods and rates during the check out process. You'll find USPS to be the cheapest if you live in the US or Canada! It's also the fastest!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE CHALLENGE FORUM WHERE PHOTOS OF YOUR SYNTHETIC FUR CREATIONS CAN BE POSTED:
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=10090
I'm sure Quy will do his magic and create a photo gallery once you've all placed your pictures there! bear_original

Kent
Website
Daphne wrote:

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE CHALLENGE FORUM WHERE PHOTOS OF YOUR SYNTHETIC FUR CREATIONS CAN BE POSTED:
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=10090
I'm sure Quy will do his magic and create a photo gallery once you've all placed your pictures there! :)

That's great Daphne!  bear_thumb

When I set up the Classic Challenge, I put a plea out for a gallery in the 'Challenges' thread and hey presto ... it was there!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Toby -

www.prefurs.com They sell the Tissavel we've been raving about. NEW YORK

www.edinburghimports.com They have wonderful Schulte synthetics... German... tight woven backings that don't stretch or fray. CALIFORNIA

www.dear-bears.com They have the french velour and also other nice synthetics. CANADA

www.sassybearsandfabrics.com If you make smaller bears she has wonderful short pile synthetics. COLORADO

www.bearycheap.com They sell KooGee brand synthetics. They are incredibly soft and come in a wide variety of colors, lengths, etc. but the backing stretches, is thin and the edges fray and the fur goes everywhere so you have to be prepared for that. The end result is great, it's the getting there!! AUSTRALIA

tarnuf Hamilton New Zealand

:pray:  Please can I join in. Things in my life seem to have settled down again. Just what I need to get the creative juices flowing again so to speak. :hug:
Kind Regards
Tania

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original All great links, Daphne bear_flower

Do you (or does anyone) know exactly what French velour is?  bear_ermm

Is it defined by fabric content? manufacturing process? anything else? I'm honestly stumped.

I got some lovely green French Velour from DearBears, with a dense undercoat and long striped feathers. It's absolutely top quality and light as air. I've seen very similar-looking faux in a variety of places, much less expensive, but probably not so nice.

I just have no idea why!

lbsl0 Whittier, California

11.jpgIMG_0071a.jpgIMG_0172a.jpgHi,  I  have only worked with synthetics since I have never been able to find any mohair that would work for my Plush Shelties.   Always get samples before you purchase!  There really is a large range of quality out there.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

lbs10 (I'm sure you have a MUCH prettier name that name but I gotta go with what I have bear_whistle )
That is THE moset wonderful, realistic and scrumptious looking sheltie (or dog for that matter!) that I have ever seen! WoW!! How real is that! Fabulous work! And I see that synthetic fur is just perfect for the job in this case! Thanks for sharing..I'm inspired!
Eileen and Paula...I'm going to order some of that tissavel fur today...not more stalling. Wow it's amazing stuff isn't it!
Terrie...love little Snazzy! Bear Essence in Australia has that exact same fur too. Don't know if it's on her site but if you email Kim she may be able to help you. www.bearessence.com.au.
Gemma.. Worzel certainly looks like rhubarb pie...adorable!
And Tania...JUMP IN!!! bear_thumb
Thanks for all those links Daph...you're obviously turning over a new leaf in the research department!!!

Board footer