Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

TeddyB Posts: 83

bear_smile  Where can I get a mini thread teddy bear pattern?  bear_smile

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

There are some on ebay from different artists. Debi of Tedsfromthreads has some (see the vendors forum) and Berta of Threadteds.com. I can also recommend http://www.bluebearytreasures.com/

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Here is a free one.
http://www.squidoo.com/thread_crochet_bears/

I also highly recommend Deb and Berta's patterns though - I have one or two from each of them.

Marion

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

You can almost find out anything on TT ! bear_grin

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm
MerBear wrote:

Here is a free one.
http://www.squidoo.com/thread_crochet_bears/

I also highly recommend Deb and Berta's patterns though - I have one or two from each of them.

Marion

Great Marion! I forgot about that one. Its by Edith Molina. She has tons of patterns for sale on ebay and her website, even a book. I haven't tried her patterns, but I'm sure they are good.

Oh and don't just search the ebay auctions. Go for the shops too as many pattern sellers have buy it now.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

o.k.... My interest has been peeked...I have always admired those cute crocheted miniatures and wondered if it is hard to do... So I'm asking, it it hard? How long does it take to make one? I crocheted many years ago but that was an afghan. So what, my dear teddy bear friends, would you recommend to get my feet wet with minis?

Michelle

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Michelle, the length of time to make a teddy bear one depends on how fast you crochet. It actually takes me about the same time to make a fabric bear as it does a crochet one. I would suggest not starting too small as the stitches are hard to see, especially on the very tiny ones. If you have some #10 crochet thread and a #7 hook you will be able to get the feel for it. This should produce a bear between 4 & 6 inches tall depending on the pattern used. One hint, try to keep your tension the same all the way through the piece.

Hugs,

Dilu Posts: 8,574

It all depends on how good you are with crocheting and how good your eyes are and how patient you are and lastly how thin a thread you use.

Berta and Deb use very thin thread...so does Sabine, who is excellent at it , just like the other two.

The smaller the hook and thinner the thread the more delicate your creation will be.  I started out with a larger hook and thread and ended up with a bear that looked to be about 4"....which is fine unless you want one that is 2"

Sabine sent me an ATC on which she had the head of a crocheted bear...her stitches were exquisite, and perfect!!!

I am quite impressed with the ability of some of our thread artists-i admire their patience and ability to see-if I were to make it something I do all the time I would need a jewlers magnifing glass....

Duli and Gijzette: Thank you for the advice. I may just get myself to Joannes Fabric and see what supplies are out there....I think too, I will have to buy a beginners crochet book since it has been many years and I don't understand the abbreviations and lingo for instructions...Any book come to mind that would be helpful?

Michelle

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Michelle, I don't know about any beginners books as I have crocheted since I was 7 or 8 years old (am now 44), but here is an online stitch guide, which has small videos also. http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/cont … ?type_id=S
I find reading the reader reviews on Amazon is really helpful in deciding which book to buy.
Both Berta and Debi sell supplies and their patterns include some basic crochet instructions. I recommend you start with thicker thread or yarn and get used to the techniques, before attempting minis. My favorite thread for minis is punch thread, an acrylic thread made for punch embroidery. It is brushable and make nice fuzzy bears. It doesn't slip while working with it as some other threds do. Good choices are also crochet cotton, perle cotton and chenille, but anything is possible. Furry threads are generally more difficult to work with as you can't see the stitches well.

Aww, Dilu, thank you for the compliments.  :redface:  bear_smile  bear_wub

Sabine: You are a life saver!! That link is just what I need....Thank you for the tips on where to begin. In the next week or so, I will be making a trip to Joannes fabric store and will get the basics to give my hand a try at crocheting a bear....

Michelle

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

You are welcome Michelle. Can't wait to see your first crocheted bear. Btw, we have discussed crochet bears before, in the miniature section. You may find a tip or two there and don't be shy to ask.

Board footer