Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Melanie UK

Hi there
I have been asked for a bear with musical movement.
I have a pull cord box, or can order a clockwork one, but I am wondering how to fit it?
If I leave the cord through the back seam, surely it will wear out the stitches. How do I
make a secure hole for it? It must be so obvious, but I am feeling blank brained about it!!!!!!!!
many thanks
love Melanie
xx

Listing Service Listing Service
My Mother
Shop

One method is to use a small brass ferrule (similar to the ones found on shoes).  You should be able to find these in small packages with the installer tool at most fabric or craft stores.

Dale

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Mel!!!!!!!

Fancy finding you here! :)

I've made musical bears before (long time ago) and popped into my local C&H Fabrics store (I'm not sure if there's one in Orpington or not, but there will be a haberdashers I'm sure) to buy some of those little brass coloured rivet things (not really rivets, can't think of the proper name for them!) which you bash together so that they seal on both sides of the fabric.  They make a neat finish - you can pierce the hole through the middle and the key fits through beautifully (cord would too). 

I hope that makes sense, mind you, I've just reread it and I'm starting to have my doubts!  Either way, I'm sure the assistants in the haberdasher's will know what I mean if you ask them for help. :D

Good luck!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Grommets? :/

Love your panda, Melanie :D

Eileen

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Haberdashers,...  Bash!!...Oh, I love the queen's English!!!! (Honest!, I do!):):)

Kent
Website

Don't you folk have haberdashers?  My goodness, what is the world coming to! bear_happy

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Not exactly, but we have Michael's, will that do?

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Speaking of music boxes and such, has anyone ever heard of a purring mechanism for cats?

Eileen

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Well, in Scotland we call them Eyelets, but its the same thing . They are very easy to use Melanie, and are quite secure for the the type of thing you want to use them for. Hugs Rita x

Kent
Website

I'm sure he'll do just fine!! bear_happy

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA
All Bear wrote:

I'm sure he'll do just fine!! bear_happy

Why, Paula!!:o (feigned shock)

If your creations are "all Bear", then it seems to follow that you must be "all Woman", yourself.

Michael's, If you didn't already know, is a large craft store chain.  They have almost everything.....except Michael, that is. bear_happy 

"arms across the sea"(Hugs),
[Paul McC.]

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hi Laura I have just been roaming around your web site...your bears crack me up ! I love Boink and Doink and Adora..is a jewel, forgot the other ones names but they are all  so delightful...it make me feel your creativness flowing as ....fun , fun, fun. What fun !

I love those Japanese style bears, they are getting ahold of me  because I love character bears and dolls,  the 20"s & 30" seem to  jump out at me. The more I see of the Japanese style  bears the more I like them..whimsical and funny. You do have a good way with the words when it comes to describing your bears.....Winney

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I was just looking at those rivets/eyelets, er... what did you call them Dale?... at my local craft shop, AC Moore. You don't have one of those on the west coast, do ya Laure? Michael's has them too as does JoAnn fabrics and places selling scrapbooking supplies. I know folks who use them on their cloth or paper hang tags too.

Melanie, your panda is very cute!

Bear Hugs
Daphne

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Winney, so glad you like my bears.  You're right, creating bears and other characters is the most fun I've ever had.  I'll be coming up with more of those anime inspired little twerps soon. 

Daphne, I don't think we have AC Moore around here; not in my neighborhood, at least.  That name sounds like a paint store to me...Oh, I guess that  would be Benjamin Moore, huh?  The grommets would be good for tags, a nice finishing touch.

Kent
Website

Michael's, If you didn't already know, is a large craft store chain.

Well I live and learn!!! bear_laugh

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Well, Paula,
It seems I'm the only one up at this hour this side of the deep blue sea (1:30 AM), and I have the good fortune of recieving your reply.  May we never cease to learn. bear_happy 

Nitey-nite from here.

Kent
Website

Sleep tight Laure - I've just had my lunch!  Isn't the internet amazing? bear_original

Board footer