Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Hello teddy bear friends: My question has to do with turning long thin tails for miniatures ie like for mice or cats. When I sew wrong sides together, I sit for a while trying to figure out how on earth do I turn it right side.  I can't seem to figure this out.  Any tips?

Bear Hugs

Michelle

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

I use a long paint brush handle starting from the tip of the tail and try to push it through, alternately for mice I would use a fine black cord.
bear_smile  Kerren

SLauhon Lauhon Originals
Murrieta, Ca

Excellent question Michelle and a great answer Kerren. I myself ( I just made a cat that is 1 5/8" ) only sew just over half with right sides together, then I turn it and finishing sewing it with a ladder stitch. I think next time I will try the paint brush idea and see if it works! I really love making itty bitty ones to go with my regular minis.

mini hugs,
                Susan

Karren and Susan: Thank you for the tip....my goodness tails can be tricky can't they...

Bear Hugs

Michelle

sarahjane Brisbane

If you have a really long doll needle you can thread it with some thread then sew it through to the inside of the tail (from the tip) then pull the tail through using the thread....does this make sense???  bear_ermm  It's a bit hard to explain in words!!!  :doh:

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Easiest turning for skinny parts - tail, limbs, necks, etc.. Long thin needle & upholstery thread (Conso, Mastex, etc..)

Before sewing the seam:
Knot a doubled uphostery thread and leaving the knot against the sewn shut end (end of tail, toe end, paw pad...) sew across the end w3ith the usual back stitch. Poke the doun=bled thread inside so that it's not caught in the seam as you sew.
As soon as you've got a bit sewn, say - 1", roll the fabric between your fingers to soften it up and apply GENTLE pressure against theknot by pulling on the doubled threads. Continue to sew and put - by the time you reach the spot you've chosen as youir opening, the tip of the skinny point will be right there,  ready to pull on through.

You 'can' run a doll needle through the completed part after it's sewn (in through the opening to the far end, over the seamline and back out again,) but you run the risk of catching some of the fabric inside or sewing through the frirst half of the doubled threads.
Pull out completely ans snip off the doubled threads, leaving just the knot inside the body part.

It's so much easier to pull-as-you-sew; this is how we made those spaghetti straps on our dresses and lingerie back in the 50s & 60s.

suburban Chicago

Hope you understood that! - cut me some slack! I'm on drugs (second successful new knee) and out of hosp 5 days earlier! Endurance is something else again - not bothering with spell checking... glad to just be able to sit up, and type!

Well knock me over with a feather.....So many wonderful ideas. Sarah Jane, Roberta, I do believe you have been doing this for a while.....none of them ever occurred to me to do that....I will practice with my kitty....that is the last thing I have to do to finish her....

Roberta: I hope you are feeling better....take care of yourself....

Bear hugs

suburban Chicago

You can practice on a scrap of material like this:

Cut a length of fabric 1" wide x 6 or 8"long.
Prepare a length of upholstery thread 12" long when doubled.
Knot the loose ends together into a slightly larger than usual knot (you don't want it to pull through the seam)

Fold the fabric in half.
** Lay the doubled thread up against the inside of the fold line. placed so that the knot shows on the outside.
Sew a backstitched seam along the short end: the seam allowance depth will be determined on your fabric and your comfort zone - how close to the edge you feel comfotable sewing!
Capture the upholstery threads if you can - this assures the knot won't pull out while turning.
Turn the corner and sew about 1" of the long seam.
Roll the stitched inch between your fingers to soften the fabric's backing.
Dampen your fingertips of the holding hand and slightly pinch the sewn inch between them.
Gently begin to pull the thread outthrough this short tube.
Stop when the short sewn end appears in the hole.

Continue to sew and pull every inch or so, making sure that you haven't sewn through the doubled threads (If the happens, pull out your seam to the point od having caught the doubled tread, free them and sew the seam again)

By the time you've reached the top of your tube, the piece has been almost compltely pulled through.

When you get really good at controlling the fabric, you can use a bias strip whick gives a more flexible tail.

If you need this for a narrow limb:
sew down one side of the arm or leg to the farthest tip of the toe or paw.
Follow the instructions from ** to the end.
I usually placed my seam openings at the top curve - 11 to 1 clock positions, or 12 - 2 - as it is easier for me to use the short fine needles closing a curved section rather than on a staright edge.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I do my pig tails by trimming my chenille pipe cleaners and ladder stitching the fabric closed around it, then twist. It would never turn as the width is so narrow. Does that make sense? bear_thumb

Bobby and Amada: more great hints....thank you again...

Michelle

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Brilliant ideas that I had never even thought of.  :clap:  :clap: Thankyou Bobbie bear_thumb
and Amanda bear_thumb

Board footer