Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

tombaak Posts: 12

I have a pattern on order for an 11" bear, i would like to order fabric as well, but the order form doesn't say how much to purchase.  With the price of mohair being so high, i really don't want to buy more than i need.

How much fabric would an average bear of this size require?

Thanks for any advice,
Melissa

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Melissa,
If I were doing it, I would buy a fat quarter and there should be enough left over to do an 8 inch bear.  Or buy two fat quarters of colors that work together and you have three 11" bears.  One of each of the colors and one mixed colors.  You might be able to get the 11" bear out of a fat 1/8 yard but you would have to be very careful.
Donna

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I agree with Donna on all points!

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Yep, I would be safe and get a fat 1/4. I can get my 10" bears out of a fat 1/8th so you MAY be able to get your 11" bear out of the same, but there is nothing worse than having a lovely piece of mohair and then realising there isn't enough to complete the bear!!!  bear_shocked

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

If you're not certain, why not purchase a 1/3 yard from Intercal?  That would certainly cover it.  I make bears up to 15" from a 1/3.

Thank you all for your advice!  I have one other question.  Since the fabric is directional which makes layout more important, would you buy a fat quarter or a long one?

Thanks again for all your help,
Melissa

Burbank, CA

For an 11" bear you should be fine with either.  I always perfer the fat quarter because I can get a 16" bear out of a fat quarter but can't get it out of the long quarter yard.  You have to watch the length of the leg and the body.  If they are longer than the 9" quarter yard you will not be able to fit the pattern pieces on the 9".  But your 11" pattern should not have any pattern pieces over 9".
Donna

Thank you so much!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Just thought I'd add...if you're buying from Intercal check out the bargain list.  You can get some really good deals on 1/4 and 1/2 yards.  It's all perfect quality unless noted as having an issue of somekind.  I usually do very well there when I want to try something without buying a whole yard at full price.

:hug:
~Chrissi

I had been looking at both Intercal and Bearycheap.  I sure wish there was someplace local i could buy in person.  I am a very tactile fabric shopper, i really like to touch before i buy.

Burbank, CA

Melissa,
Where do you live?  There may be a show close by or someone may have mohair you could touch.  I agree with the need to touch the mohair when you are first learning the different qualities.
Donna

I live about 45 minutes from Reno, Nevada.  I used to live in The Bay Area and loved the fabric shops there.  I mostly did quilting and dolls.  There is the most wonderful Indian fabric shop in Berekely that sells sari material.  One of the things i miss about living in that area... 

Traffic, housing prices, two of the things i don't miss.  This area i live in now (I grew up here as well) is really growing, but is still pretty isolated as far as some of the more esoteric fabric shopping goes.  There may be some place in Reno that sells mohair, i'm sure the selection would be limited and the price would be a bit high,  but it is something.

I really like the look of the multi colour bears, i have been looking on eBay thought i might find some smaller pieces.   I've also been checking out the Intercal small cuts list.

Burbank, CA

Melissa,
Keep your eyes out for advertising of the Reno doll and bear show put on by Melinda Natzel.  If you want to give me your address privately, I'll get it to Melinda so you will get a direct mailing for the show.  I usually do the show with bears, mohair and supplies.  You just missed the last one, it was Oct. 21.  I did not make it to that one, I was doing a local store trunk show and signing.  I should have gone to Reno!
Donna

Board footer