Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Hello gals, I was just wondering what I might use for eye whites on minis of about 3". Obviously I wouldn't want any materials that are too thick since it's a mini. I'm working on a bear and think I would like to try adding the whites, but I've never done it before. I'm hoping to find something locally so I don't have to order online. I hate waiting for something when I'm ready to use it now.  bear_grin  So what do you use? Any good tips are appreciated. bear_original

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Hi Sandi,

I usually just put a white stitch under the eyes of my mini's but on my last one I used felt - I have a tool used for punching holes into leather belts that cuts perfect little circles - I then glue the felt onto the back of the eye....very fiddly but certainly worth it!

Here are some pictures....for the first one I have used a white stitch (in a thick cotton thread) and in the second I have used felt.....

websitebobby.jpgtrixibelle_040b.jpg

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I just use ultrasuede on my mini eyes.   I glue it to the eyes then to the fur once the eyes is inserted.   it works well I think.

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

I use ultra suede you can get very fine for mini bears also white perle nose thread.
Hugs Kerren

I have tons of ultrasuede but it is kinda thick. I don't think it will work on minis. Boo hoo, I guess I'll have to order something and be patient.  bear_original Or maybe I'll get lucky and find something suitable while I'm shopping today.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

For a 3" bear I either use upholstery thread or  waxed linen cord which you can find in the beading department.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Mine are stitched in ... just a few strands that I pick out from a hank of 6 strand emryodery floss.....  EASY.

Kim Basta

Thanks, ladies. Maybe I'll have a go at the thread first and see how it turns out, and in the meantime I'll order that ultrasuede for next time.  bear_thumb

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

kate2.JPGI use the ultra suede I have some white that is really thin and I like it the best, I have painted some in too and that worked well too.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I needlefelt mine in, dead easy too!

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

..ooooh, needle-felting!  I can do that!! w00t!

Amelia *all excited now*

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

You can't go wrong with needlefelting!

Board footer