Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

articrose On The Brite Side

I went to the craft store yesterday and bought some different stuff and did some experimenting. I got some liguid fimo decorating gel, they didnt have liquid sculpey but this fimo is about the same I think. I made a wire frame of a wing and put the liquid fimo on it then sprinkled lots of glitter on them and baked, they are great, nice and sturdy and the glitter melted into the fimo. another thing I found was some Deco art liquid rainbow paint n peel, I took some of that wire mesh stuff and layed it out on some glass then poured some of the paint n peel on it, it has to dry and this AM it was a nice sturdy wing, I dont think by itsself it would be sturdy enough thats why you would have to use something as a backing but it is transparent so thats why I used the wire mesh. I also got some gallery glass and found a butterfly mould in the candy section at the craft store, I poured some of the gallery glass into the mold but as of this AM its still not dry so will let you know how that turns out. I also poured some paint n peel on a piece of glass just to see how it turns out, you might be able to use it like the liquid fimo and make an wire form then pour inside it but dont know if it would stick to the wire or not. but so far I like the fimo best.
Sheri

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Oh my head spinning  bear_grin

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I am really bad I need to see it done to get it.But I have been wanting to do some wings.

TeddyTyke Posts: 65

Has anyone experimented with angelina head bonadable fibre? The holographic stuff is especially beautiful. I've come to teddies from being a handspinner/weaver and often use angelina in my spinning projects, but now it occurs to me it might make great wings.

There's pics here:
www.joggles.com

And some beautiful fairy wings made from it:

www.dollmakersjourney.com/fibers.html

articrose On The Brite Side

Is this the stuff you can iron and it makes a beautiful shimmery fabric? I've looked for that stuff in our local craft stores but guess I'll need to order it. wonder if ebay would have it.

I have been using  celophane , wire and glue then heat and that makes beautiful wings, love that technique ovetr the liquid clay.
Sheri

Articrose I dunno where you are but in the US you can get it from Bountiful, in Colorado. I think she still has a website! In the UK you can get it from WIngham Woolwork here in Yorkshire who have website and mail ordering. I'm confident you could get it from most firms who supply hand spinners - anyone who caries a good stock of fibres. 'Spin Off' magazine may have some ads that would point you the right way, too. There is ordinary glittery angelina and holographic, which is more 3D. Both are beautiful.

I have only used it for spinning but have just seen some pics online of someone else's wings made with it - and they look stunning. It's very light and delicate too, but because I haven't experimented with it yet, I dunno how stiff it is on its own.

For the UK bear makers, Wingham Woolwork do little £2 (I think) sample bags of different colours angelina and one bag would be enough to make one or two sets of wings, depending on size.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

What does it look like ? Do you melt it ? Is it fabric ? I am not getting a picture of what it is .Just never heard of it before.

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

..think of it like unspun wool---it's just a big loose poof of shimmering strands---and then you iron it and it fuses together, it's called fusible fibers:

http://artglitter.com/retail/filmfiber.htm

I love it!  I used it to make a hat for a Hallowe'en kitty!

th_PICT0085.jpg

You can melt it into various forms, it doesn't have to be just flat.

Amelia

That's right, Amelia - I have only used it as a spinner - I spin the fibres in with others, to get a glittery yarn. But I noticed it said the angelina was 'heat bondable' - was of no interest to me as a spinner, but now I'm making teddies... possibilities opening up! You iron it between two bits of baking paper, and it fuses with itself.

I've also thought silk paper would make great wings, as you can control the thickness/stiffness of it, and put all sorts of nice things in it. I'm thinking of making a 'green man' teddy with silk paper wings with oak leaves on...

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Can anyone show a pic of the actual fibres before and after. ?
I think I saw some in my local craft /fabric outlet. The label didnt even give the contents a name., nor what it could be used for. It is just that I thought I recognised it from the descriptions I have read here on TT.
It just looked like very pretty shimmering shredded paper/plastic type stuff.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Yea I want to see it also.

It comes as a mass of fibres. You don't need to use glues, or anything complicated - just iron it between baking paper, and it will bond to itself. Check before you buy it's head bondable angelina, because there is heat bondable and non!

Before:

bountifulspinweave.com/angelina.htm

:lol:

And after (check out the fairy's wings!) The instructions here tell you all you need to know about using angelina. I have to say I think these wings are the prettiest I've seen:

dollmakersjourney.com/fibers.html

US people, I'd recommend Lois at Bountiful (1st link above). UK folk, I'd recommend:

www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

UMMMMMMMMM I will have to see if I can find some local also. OK so after you fuse the fibers, then you cut out shapes of wings? Correct? Does this tare easily after being fused? Will it chip? Or does it turn to a fabric that is stiff ?

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

AAhhh, now I get it. and no I dont think what I saw was this Angelina fibre. Now all I have to do is find an Australian /NZ supplier. I want me some them there angelina angle wings bear_grin  bear_grin

OK In the interests of Bear Science, I did an experiment this afternoon. Dug out of the stash a tiny 10g sample size bag of angelina - and fused it as per instructions on above website. It worked!

I havent time to actually make the wings, until the weekend then will post pics - but it was easy to do (took seconds!) And the resultant 'fabric' looks like it will cut into whatever shape, and looks like it won't fray... You can also control the thickness, adding more or less.  One thing worth knowing - a tiny 10g (£2/$4US) bag would be enough to do loads of wings for 10" or smaller bears...

PS: Those of you in Aus/NZ, any large fibrecraft supplier should carry angelina as you're usually ahead of the game in all things fibre! If anyone has trouble sourcing, then try the Wingham Woolworks (UK) link above as they ship all over the world. This stuff is so light, I'd guess the postage can't be too horrendous...

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Good to know, looking forward to the pictures bear_grin

Board footer