Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Batwrangler Posts: 17

Hi, Teddy Talkers,

Do you ever reinforce your joints? When would you reinforce a joint and how would you do it? (I tried searching, but didn't find anything. Maybe there's a different term for it?)

Thanks!

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

HI Shiela

I don't know if this is what you mean......some artists place a round piece of felt between the mohair and the wooden disc, I'm told it will stop the wooden disc from wearing on the mohair when the joint is turned. Those who use the method always put the felt there.

I've never heard this termed as re-inforcing but I can't think what else you  do to a joint,

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I have been known to reinforce the area where the cotterpin or bolt go through the fabric, With Iron on fusible interfacing and then a dab of fray check....

i don't know any other way....

gollyhugs
dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I was thinking fray check too.
I have found it best, for me, to stay away from fusible web and an iron when working with synthetics though! It gets to be a melted mess and doesn't stick any way! I love it on other stuff though!
Sheila, I trust you are working on the bear you brought to our meeting last weekend? How's it coming?
Be sure to use an awl to open a whole for the bolt or cotterpin.... don't cut an opening as cutting those threads can really compromise the fabric in that area.

Good luck!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

OOOPPSSS!!! Daphne is right....and since I do gollies more than anything else there is a difference in materials.  Fray check is a cure for a lot of evils though....

d

Daphne wrote:

Sheila, I trust you are working on the bear you brought to our meeting last weekend? How's it coming?
Be sure to use an awl to open a whole for the bolt or cotterpin.... don't cut an opening as cutting those threads can really compromise the fabric in that area.
Good luck!

He's not quite what I was expecting, but he's coming along quite well: just needs his ears, his eyes, a little more stuffing, and to have the stuffing openings closed.

Thanks!

Daphne wrote:

Good luck!

He's not quite what I was expecting, but he's coming along quite well: just needs his ears, his eyes, a little more stuffing, and to have the stuffing openings closed.

Thanks!

Board footer