Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

westga Posts: 12

Hello again, I'm still working on my first bear I'm almost done just eyes and the mouth left. I need to order eyes but I want to order a few other things also. So here is my question: What length mohair is best for a bear around 10" tall. I have looked at a lot of beautiful bears made with some beautiful mohair (on the web) but no one every says what length of mohair they used and seeings how I am so new I can't really tell. I have my eye on some that is 5/8" is that considered a short pile? What length is Short? How do you know what length pille to use or not to use? I hope this question is not to dumb... :redface:

Thank for you help!
Angie

Edited to change fur to mohair :redface:  :redface:

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Hi Angie,

A 5/8" pile would be good for a 10" bear.  I have made a 10" bear with a 1" straight pile and he is cute just a little wild if you brush him!!

The pile length to use is all personal preference - sorry!  Some patterns tell you what pile length that the artist used which is very helpful but unfortunately not all patterns have this.

Hope this helps.

Jane

Thanks Jane  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Jane is right... it's personal preference. See the little picture of the group of bears under my avatar on the left? Those bears are just over 10 inches tall and I used a matted alpaca with a pile of about 1/4".

I find the following helpful given the 10" size:
For an antique look: medium to sparse and under 1/2 "
For a traditional look: medium density in a medium length (1/2 - 3/4")
For a contemporary, fuzzy or wild look: any density over 3/4" long

That's just a guide, again, everyone likes something different but this might help you when ordering. Once you've worked with a few different types of mohair in different sized bears you'll get to know what you like the looks of best.

Thanks Daphne!
That should get me started..

Board footer