Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

zemeski Posts: 434

Hello everyone!! I have been resting before I posted anything about the open house at the Museum Center at 5ive Points. This week has been crazy with my daughter being in a play, trying to replace my sewing machine, and replacing my all in one printer. Why is it everything goes all at once?? I can't really complain because both my sewing machine and printer have lasted a long time.
  The open house was very interesting I must say. I had a lot of people come in just to see my bears. I also had people calling the museum to speak to me and ask questions. It was raining on Saturday so, I was afraid the turn out wouldn't be that great due to weather. It did turn out to be a good day with about 450 that attended. I was disappointed that only 10 artist showed up for this event out of about 40. All of us artist that did show up got to know each other and had a fun day.
  My daughter Caitlin went with me and one of the ladies does pine needle weaving and showed Caitlin how to do the basics. She made a pine needle coaster. Caitlin had a blast.
100_2882.JPG
PN.jpg
  I printed a small booklet on how to make a basic teddy bear using a pattern I drew and labeled. I showed pictures from tracing all the way to finishing the teddy bear. I told where the first teddy came from, what Mohair is made of, and I added some of my suppliers links. I also had my About Me page printed in the booklet. Below is just a few of my booklet pages.
Front_Cover_Booklet2.jpgTrace2.jpg100_2910.JPG
100_2911.JPG100_2912.JPG100_2913.JPG100_2914.JPG
  On the table I had all kinds of demonstrations step by step of what I do to put together a bear. I had several 8x10 photos as you can see from the picture above. I had a big apple basket with my Mohair jelly rolled inside for people to see the different textures styles etc.. People loved looking at my photos more than anything.
Open_House1.jpg 
  Caitlin my daughter was suppose to take pictures for me but she got wrapped up in pine needle baskets that my pictures were limited. Sorry!!

My husband went to the bank today 11/16/06 and some of the bank clerks were reading the Bradley News. With the name Zemeski being rare they showed him the paper and asked if the article was about me, his wife. I didn't even know it had been printed. I know one thing the Museum Center has really pushed my teddy bears in newspapers everywhere. If nothing comes of this at least I got free and wonderful advertisement out of it.

100_2927.JPG
100_2921.JPG
Bradley_Weekly.jpg

Thanks again for everyones help and suggestions!! I would have been a little lost without your help and support!! I truly believe this was a helpful resource to the people here in this area. I had fun meeting people and talking to them.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Wow, Melissa what a great thing to have been involved in. Your booklet looks great, very informative. I love your display, what a great way to show people how you make your bears. Caitlin looks very engrossed in her new found craft, what a pretty girl!
Congratulations on a very special event.

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

WOW, Melissa, you did a LOT of work.  Your display looks terrific.  What a great turn-out for the open house too.  Congratulations on a great day and also on the newspaper article.   

Thumbs_up212.gif

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Wow Melissa, you surely had much work to achieve this. I'm very happy for you to have had much interest. You deserve it for sure. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

What a fabulously detailed approach you took to this project!!  It looks wonderful.  Have you ever thought about producing a bear-making book for retail Melissa?  Looking at the details and illustrations you've produced I think you'd make a great author!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Yeah for you Mellisa! I knew this would be a great thing for you when you first mentioned it. I am happy it worked out so well. Isn't it funny that people in your own town don't know of the talent right in front of them. If anything, I imagine you probably created at least a few new teddy bear collectors. People tend to fall in love with them once they see an artist bear up close and personal.
Good job!
Hugs
Sonya

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: WOW!!  That's awesome Melissa!  I am very impressed also with the pamphlet you put together.  Excellent! bear_thumb And such a wonderful write up in the paper too! :hug:  :hug:

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Congratulations Melissa! What a wondeful opportunity and what a fabulous job you have done with it.  bear_thumb

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ditto what Paula said; I think you're an author in the making.  What a wonderful resource you've been.  Really, as a bear maker, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your efforts to pull the public in and educate them about this great thing we do.  I'm grateful.

bear_flower

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Wow...I ditto what has already been said.  I think you need a vacation after all of that.  Great job!!!  bear_flower

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

WOW what a temendous amount of time and effort you put into this endeavor Melissa.  You booklet and displays are fantastic.  I agree with the others that you should publish something.  You should be proud of what you did and now sleep for a week !!!    :hug:

zemeski Posts: 434
All Bear wrote:

Have you ever thought about producing a bear-making book for retail Melissa?  Looking at the details and illustrations you've produced I think you'd make a great author!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I didn't have anyone here to help me take many pictures so, I started drawing a lot of the illustrations. Caitlin my daughter was in school and my husband is out of town doing photography. I had fun drawing the pictures. I got a little carried away. I haven't sat down to draw in months so it was fun to switch gears for a change. No, I haven't got the first clue on producing a book of any kind. That was me just winging it in a weeks time. I figured that it was more important to pass out good information than trying to get a bunch of bears together and rushing them.

Shantell Wrote-

Wow...I ditto what has already been said.  I think you need a vacation after all of that.  Great job!!!

I'm taking a break from the 21st - 26th of November to go to Pigeon Forge to hide away for a good rest and to spend some good quality time with my family.

Tammy Wrote -

WOW what a temendous amount of time and effort you put into this endeavor Melissa.  You booklet and displays are fantastic.  I agree with the others that you should publish something.  You should be proud of what you did and now sleep for a week !!!

I'm very pleased Tammy with my work but publishing something isn't anything I would want to think on right now. My brain is fried from thinking so hard on this small prodject. Ha! Ha! I wish I could sleep for a week!! Your so funny!!

Thank you everyone for your sweet post and encouraging words!! You all here at TT are so wonderful to have to  talk to. You moved me out from under my shy shell!! I'm a shy person and being able to do this open house has helped me!!  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Wow.... as I looked at your booklet I kept thinking "She had hardly anytime to prepare and she did THIS????" Wonderful job. I agree with Paula that you should publish a book.... or atleast publish your booklet for sale when you do shows or through your website.

And your display looks fantastic too! Congrats on the article. All of this exposure will benefit you ten fold!

And as Shelli said..... "THANK YOU!".... for educating so many new people on our craft! Your efforts have been a great service not only to you, the museum and your community but to the entire teddy bear community as well.

:hug:  :clap:  :hug:  :clap:  :hug:

sarahjane Brisbane

WOW Melissa you should be so proud of yourself, you put together a fantastic display in so little time!!!
I'm glad it went so well for you and I hope that you get lots of feedback and business from it!!!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

What a fantastic effort you put into this Melissa, you really have done a first class job of it all. All the work paid off because your stand looks great well done. You should be very proud of the work you did Melissa, I hope that you reap lots of benifits from it.

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Wow!  Your display and booklet were great!  I think it's great that you educated a lot of people about teddies.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

How truly impressive, Melissa!  Love your detailed booklet and the fabulous display!  You go, girl!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Fabulous display and booklet, Melissa! So glad to hear that it all went so well. The newspaper article was great, too. I'm sure everyone was just blown away by your bears!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap: Well done Melissa!!!   You've done a truly outstanding job with your display, booklet and gorgeous bears  bear_wub   I do wonder how many collectors and budding bear makers have been inspired by your display.   :dance:

And I gotta ask Caitlin... was it very hard to learn the pine needle basketry??  I've been itching to try it for years  bear_happy   It does look like a lot of fun!

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Wow, Melissa, your booklet and display look fabulous! I must echo what others are saying! You should definitely think about a book sometime in the future or at least sell your booklet as a kit or something. You did an awesome job with so little time. You should definitely be proud of yourself. I'm glad to hear that you had a good time doing the open house. Congratulations!!

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Really fabulous Melissa, you must be exhausted, so nice to hear your daughter had a great day too.   I hope you enjoy your well deserved rest - bear_thumb  bear_original

Catherine

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

oh my.... that is simply incredible....your display was so informative and so beautiful too!  I think you did such a fantastic job and I hope that you do feel proud of yourself!!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Melissa: You did a fabulous job. I agree with some of the others, you really should try to produce your book. Really, one can't have too many bear books. Right ladies?

Michelle

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Melissa,

Your display and booklet look wonderful and how neat that you are educating the people on loving and  collecting
Teddy Bears.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer