Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

beary_clairey Luton

Hello All,

Can any of you help me. I have bought a pattern of a bear from the internet. In the picture the bear has a lovely big round, bulbous nose and wondered how the affect would be achieved??

Any help would be great???

Hugs

Claire

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Claire ,could you show a pic of the nose at all??

For my Roo noses I do the layered felt technique.  Embroider over and now I add wax to that as well.
That will get you the height.  I am unable to help further though, without a picture of the nose in question.
Sorry, Wendy bear_thumb

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I also use the felt technique but try stuffing a little bit of polyfill under the felt for height and then sew the felt to the head and embroider on top.

Marion

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I havent heard of that one Marion. I'll give that one ago on my next nose.  TA
Wendy bear_thumb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

you could also consider an framework out of polymer clay and then layer the threads over it anchoring each thread stitch with a tiny drop of that stuff that makes people crazy....

glue.....

You could mold the nose in any stuyle you wanted, cook it with a hook on the back, anchor it to the muzzel by both stitching and....

glue......

and then sew over it....

beary_clairey Luton

Hello There,

Thanks for your tips, this is the nose I am trying to recreate !!!

Hugs

Claire

nose2.jpg

Krümelbärchen Kr
Hagen / Germany

What a wonderful nose  :clap:

I love big noses too and do them in this way:

I make three templates of felt: The first one in the size of the finished nose, the second one a little smaller than the first one and the third smaller than the second one.
After this, I sew them to the place, where the nose looks best and begin to stitch the nose with pearl thread no. 8 in 5 or more layers. At the end I use wax to finish the nose  bear_original

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Very interesting ladies bear_cool  ..I make the BIG noses , putting a dap of poMVC-007F-Muzy2.jpglyfill, under layers ( depending on the size ) of felt templates. I do finished, most of my bear's noses, with acrylic varnish.
Bear hugs bear_flower
Gladys

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

YIKES!! Here I go with my "pictures' problem"  :redface: Sorry ladies...
I will keep on trying :photo:

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

000_0204.jpg
Ok..Lest see if it works ( or me!! ) this time :pray:

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

It did :clap:  You never know if it is going to with my "expertise" :crackup:
This is one of my BIG noses designs. The picture is not too "clear" ( I have to 'work" on that too bear_ermm  ) and I did the stuffing and layering of felt to it and finally varnished it.
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I would like some big nose help from all of you also.  I do the stuffing under the felt nose template and I have a friend that does the layered felt nose.  The problem we are experiencing is that when we do the satin stitch at the outside edges of the nose on each side the stitches will fall away to the face and not stay on the nose.   Do any of you have that problem?  How do you fix it?
Thanks for any help.
Donna

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

YEAH Donna!  I found that even with the few noses I did try to embroider.... so maybe they were large afterall??  But the stiches on the sides DID slide off, no matter what I did  bear_ermm  So I'll eagerly await replies to your question.

As for GLUE...whooboy do I wish I could use that media!  I've seen so many artists use it to good effect with their bears.  I dutifully tried it under my bear's eyes, as per Nancy Tillberg's instructions...  :crackup:  I wish you all could have seen!  :crackup:   Ummm....picture me with the glue in my hair, hair smeared across forehead (read, glued to forehead!), and at least 5 of the 8 fingers stuck together.  Oh, that eye that was supposed to be perfectly adhered in place?  It was dangling, glued to the thread I couldn't seem to wrangle out of the way fast enough, and some of the muskrat fur plastered back on the bear's forehead and to the nose...well at least the bear and I matched  bear_tongue  bear_laugh   Okay, so I admit...I'm a clutz when it comes to the glue bottle  bear_happy

Above all, these are some FANTASTIC noses ladies  :clap:  I just love huge noses on bears  bear_wub

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

I have had success with ordinary stick glue for the noses. You get just enough on the nose to hold the embroidery thread in place but not all over your hands.   bear_original

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I now do the felt template, sew it to the face leaving an oppening, and fill it with polyester before closing.
Then I use twisted cotton, which is my favourite, to embroid the nose. I always begin on the sides first and go towards the middle.
The thread is not falling and stays well in place. Maybe it is due to the texture of twisted thread...

Hope that helps...
Contrary to perle cotton, twisted cotton gives a mat look, but you can then add some wax or varnish.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

The thread sliding off the felt on the sides happens to me too.
So... I don't keep taking every stitch from the very bottom point of the nose.
I work my stitches UP the sides. Gives a different look to the nose but it works!!

nose.jpg

And yes, when all else fails.... GLUE!  bear_tongue

beary_clairey Luton

I too have experienced the problem of my embroidery cotton sliding off the side of the nose template, Hence that is why I tend not to use them although it sounds like this is a good way to get a big nose.

Does anyone have a good tip for these awkward stitches ???

Hugs

Claire

djbbears Queensland

Just wondering how many layers do you stitch over your noses, have read some just do 2 but then I see some noses and think that it must be alot more. Or does it depend on what sort of nose you are doing............HELP!!   yep have problems with the stitching at the sides, as it falls away have tried the felt template but maybe its just me............ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT

Take Care
Be Safe

Debbie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Glad this came to the top again because I have be playing and found a great way to get big noses........

Needlefelting!!!! I needlefelt a nose on first, excatly the size and shape I want. Get it nice and firm. Then I embroider over that. If you have to use glue you can use tacky glue... doesn't have to be industrial strength.... to keep your stitches in place but I find that the needlefelted nose has just enough give to it that the embroidery floss lays right in place if you pull your stitches in firmly... no glue necessary.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

yeah,..I've been doing that as well and it works nicely.

Marion

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Debbie wrote: Tillberg's instructions...    I wish you all could have seen!     Ummm....picture me with the glue in my hair, hair smeared across forehead (read, glued to forehead!), and at least 5 of the 8 fingers stuck together.  Oh, that eye that was supposed to be perfectly adhered in place?  It was dangling, glued to the thread I couldn't seem to wrangle out of the way fast enough, and some of the muskrat fur plastered back on the

Debbie: you are a hoot!! I am visioning this comedy of errors and it is too funny for words..Just so you don't think you are alone, something simular happened to me too with a clay nose and sculpy varnish and superglue.

As for the big noses, I am happy to see this thread. I too want to learn more about big noses. Very helpful hints!

Michelle

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

Daphne          I've been doing that with some of my mini bears( needlefelting the nose first, then do the embroidering). I find it much easier. Being a beginner it helps alot.

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Hi All,

As to the stitches sliding off the sides of the noses when embroidering, I use a fabric glue stick.  It is water soluble, non-toxic and acid free, so it will not do any damage to your fabric for the 100+ bear years.  Since it is water soluble, if you get it on your hands or in places on the bear you don't want it on, it will come off easily.  And it does dry clear.

I use the template and when I get to the edges, put a smidgeon of the fabric glue on with a toothpick and then as you take each stitch, push it down onto the glue and it will stay.

I don't like to "glue" my bears either, but I consider this a "sewing" application since it is a fabric glue stick.

Hope you give it a try.

Hugs,

Wanda

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Wanda,

What is the name of the glue that you use?

Jane

Board footer