Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

westga Posts: 12

I just got my first kit I ordered from Beary Cheap it is Chili-pepper by: Kympatti he is a 9" bear. I've got him all cut out and I'm ready to start sewing BUT I don't know what the seam allowance is, I have read the directions and I can't find it any where.. The pattern pieces are drawn out with less than 1/4" So what should I use 1/4 ?? I feel stupid asking this question but I really want this little bear to turn out good... Thanks! Angie

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Yes, I would say that a 1/4 inch seam allowance sounds about right. I personally use less than that but that is just my preference - I think most artists use 1/4 inch.

westga Posts: 12

Thank you!! That's what I will use then.. bear_original

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

my seam allowance is smaller if I use fray-check on the cut edges. I should think that
consistency is more important than the actual measurement - just so long as all the
parts are the same!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I also do my patterns in such a way that the line I draw is my seam....it makes it easy to follow the line.  It gives you more freedom-you can use the same pattern and have a smaller, medium, and larger bear by how you manipulate your seam allowances.

As you do more bears you will develop more confidence.  Believe it or not, by this time next year I'm predicting you will design your own bears and not be intimadated by something like a seam allowance.

So congratulations to you, Angie, you are on your way- think of the whole process as an advetnure!

gollyhugs
dilu

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

HI

I know Patti and Graham and most of there patterns use a 4 -5 mm seam allowance which is about 1/4in.....so go ahead on that basis.

Board footer