Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Which do you prefer for closing up your creations or attaching ears?  I've only used the regular straight needle in various lengths but am wondering if a curved needle would be better?  Any comments?

Shantell

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I use straight needles....on ears my stitch is 1/2 inch and then under the fabric I go an inch, then when I get to the end I turn and go back and do the 1/2 inch stitches where the 1 inch gaps where.  It is easy, there is no struggles and I get good tight ears.  I test them by pulling the bear up by his or her ears and also by swinging them.....uh oh I think the PETA Princess is gonna get me.....:P

dilu

Willamette Valley Oregon

Poor Peta Princess...

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

oh no not curved needles, i tried them once, i would liken it to eating (or trying to eat) with chop sticks! something else i cannot get the hang of :rolleyes:
hugs Kerren

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

I LOVE CURVED NEEDLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It took a while to get accustomed to sewing with them but for certain jobs like ladder stitching or applique type things they are all I will use.
All I can say is practice, practice pactice!
Amy

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I have to admit I don't like my curved needles at all. I bought some thinking I would use them to sew on the ears. But I found I just couldn't get the tiny stitches I was wanting. Even though it's a very small needle. Sounds weird, but I use my long doll needle to sew the ears on. Otherwise I just can't seem to get another needle to fit in those weird angles.
Guess we're all different though, so like Gina said, try them. AT least needles are one of the cheaper supplies we need :D
Heather

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Heather, I understand about the long doll needle.  Your fingers can work out away from that awkward curved head with a longer -- or a curved -- needle, whereas with a "regular" needle, you're trying to stitch on an ear at a perpendicular angle to a curved surface, right up close and directly next to the head.  Aargh!  Makes perfect sense to me. bear_original

Willamette Valley Oregon

Hey Heather...I never thought of that...gonna try using one of my longer needles... bear_original:)

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I also love my curved needle and would be lost without it. Its not too big so does the job really easily.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I couldn't manage without a good strong curved needle.  It makes closing and doing the ears so much easier.

Board footer