Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Tynnateddy sault ste marie

Was just curious on how many people here hand sew or machine stitch as i do both...I like them equally and why its your preference.
Bear Hugs
Tynna

Kathleen Pa

I hand sew footpads, gussets and small bears, machine stitch the rest.  I like both  ways too.

Kathleen

sarahjane Brisbane

I hand sew all mine (but they are all under 8 inches)

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I hand sew almost everything...even my big 24-26" bears.  I love hand sewing, it's like therapy.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I hand sew foot pads and machine sew everything else.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I handsew . I find it very relaxing. I take my sewing with me just about everywhere.
If I'm not sewing, I feel as though I'm wasteing my time being idle. :doh:
plus I have an aversion to mechanical noise. So even my very large bears are handsewn.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I have to handsew as I think my sewing machine's possessed  :twisted:  bear_ermm   bear_laugh   Actually its a very nice machine ....if only I could tap its capabilities  :doh:  :redface:   But I still think we have waaaay differing ideas of what a teddy should look like  bear_shocked

I've also found with handsewing throughout the years, I can be in the same room with my hubby.  I just take along my little basket and I can sit and sew while he's reading or on the computer.  I know, we're nuts, but we like to be together....really together.   bear_laugh ...I can relate to separation anxiety in dogs, what can I say??  bear_laugh  :crackup:   

And I find it soothing and to me more like I'm sewing just for that person each and every itty bitty stitch, even if its a bear I'll ultimately be selling and I don't know the new mummy or daddy yet.   bear_wub

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I wish I was good at hand sewing. I think it's operator error! bear_wacko  bear_ermm I often wonder whether it's because I really can't see too well up close, or if I just never learned to make a neat, tight seam. I may never know, because I can't see these eyes getting better as I age! bear_tongue

So in answer to your question, I use the sewing machine and get all upset and have to rip out seams when I can't see them well enough to do them right the first time. I need a huge magnifier!

bear_shocked But Debora, you make such GORGEOUS bears!!!  bear_shocked   Its so hard to believe you having troubles making them. 

You know, when I'm doing the up close work, like closing seams and I"m trying to pick all that darned fur out from underneath, I use magnifying/reading glasses.  It makes things so much easier to see for detailed work.  Although granted, I'm not having to work with a moving needle like the sewing machine (I tend to get a little nauseous if I reach for things with the specs on  bear_ermm  )  But it does take the stress off my eyes and makes the task a little easier....maybe they can help you?  I just bought some cheapos in the drug store ages ago.

Website
DebbieD wrote:

bear_shocked But Debora, you make such GORGEOUS bears!!!  bear_shocked   Its so hard to believe you having troubles making them. 

You know, when I'm doing the up close work, like closing seams and I"m trying to pick all that darned fur out from underneath, I use magnifying/reading glasses.  It makes things so much easier to see for detailed work.  Although granted, I'm not having to work with a moving needle like the sewing machine (I tend to get a little nauseous if I reach for things with the specs on  bear_ermm  )  But it does take the stress off my eyes and makes the task a little easier....maybe they can help you?  I just bought some cheapos in the drug store ages ago.

Oh, Debbie, thank you for your kind words about my bears! :hug:  :hug: You are so sweet! bear_flower  I started having trouble with my eyes actually staying focused on close-up work when I was making a panda a few years ago. I have a big magnifying lamp that I use when I'm doing work by hand, but it doesn't really work trying to get it up close and personal with the sewing machine. bear_tongue I already wear glasses, so I don't think the reading glasses would help (thanks for the suggestion!), but I am contemplating buying some of the magnifiers that jewelers wear when they're working on jewelry. I'm also wondering whether it would help to use a clear presser foot on my machine and even go so far as to mark out the sewing lines to follow so I don't have to see quite as closely. Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement! bear_flower

bear_grin I have to mark my lines to sew, since I handsew...takes me ages but it gets me there in the end.  I actually started using the 'reading' glasses when I took a jewelry class.  The teacher swore it would be one of the best investments no matter how old you are, as it took the eye strain off. 

I wonder if the clear presser foot would help?  And there's certainly nothing wrong with trying to highlight your lines for sewing....any little thing can help LOTS in the long run  bear_thumb

And I still say your bears are GORGEOUS!!! bear_wub  :hug:

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

I hand sew everything.  Even the big guys.
I don't have the patience to lug out the sewing machine, fiddle with the thread and bobbins every time I need a different colour.  With hand sewing I have more control and I find it relaxing!

AndreaM bear_original

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Well, I do have to say, I have sewn both of my bears. (Yes arn't I great I've made 2!! :P) I do have to say, After sewing the first bigish bear by hand I went over it with an industrial machine, The feet and the head gusset was VERY difficult and those industrials are hard to use!

This time around on my biggish guy, I'm going to sew his body, legs, arms and from chin to nose on his head by machine, and then hand stitch the guesst and the feet pads in, I find it alot easier .

Regards to the ladies above, I use a foot that is the right side for the seam allowences. so all I need to do is make sure my foot is right on the edge of the fabric... and you get a perfect seam every time.... I guess I can say that, I've been using a machine for years!

For minis there isn't much you can do, exept use a compensating foot. Gives a perfect seam allowence and you can zig zag the ends so you don't need to over sew, Just like the bigger bears. I find the sewing the easy part, the difficulty comes attaching ears and noses and EYES ARGH!

Take care,

Richy~

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I used to hand sew all of my bears as my machine liked to eat the mohair! I've since bought a vintage sewing machine and it is a dream to work with - no more mohair eating! I hand sew my bears up to 6" and machine sew the bigger ones (but I always hand sew the gusset and footpads).

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I do every thing by hand for the last 2 years. I make smaller bears mostly 5 and under so I like the control I get by hand. But when I made bigger bears years ago I would hand sew the foot pads and the rest on the machine.

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

I hand sew everything. It takes me ages, but I enjoy it. Plus, I get a better (straighter) seam when I hand sew things than when I use a machine. bear_thumb

Website

Debbie, you are so sweet! :hug:  :hug:  :hug: I'd like to give one of your bears a squeeze; they are so lovely and look like they would be wonderful to hold. bear_smile

I agree with all the tips and techniques people are using. I came to bear making without a lot of experience on the sewing machine or with hand sewing, so I had to fight my way through learning to sew head gussets and footpads on the machine. bear_wacko  It is still tough at times! I would love to hand sew those areas, particularly. If anyone has great hand sewing tips, I'm all ears! I'll have to learn to do that along with learning to knit; I am determined to learn! bear_thumb

Board footer